Sunday, 7 June 2009

On the Lighter Side


Thumbing through the drawers of  sheet music, I noticed that some of the most common words are things like 'Love', 'Heart', and  as mentioned earlier, 'Rose'.
So when I decided to do a bit about lightbulbs I wasn't sure what I would find.
Nothing on the lightbulbs, as you would expect, but dozens with the word 'Light'. 
So many that I thought I could carry on the lightbulb theme.
 
Well it appears that lightbulbs are to lose their wattage markings, thanks to new European Union rules. 
It has decided to replace the energy measurement, named after 19th Century Scottish scientist James Watt, with wording revealing the power in 'lumens' - the amount of light a bulb gives out. 



The eu claims it will enable people to make more accurate choices in lighting - despite critics arguing it will cause widescale confusion.
When the changes take place bulbs will appear with the symbol Lm for Lumens instead of W for Watt. A 60W bulb, for example, will be given the label 800 Lm. 
Many Britons have been infuriated after traditional 100W bulbs virtually disappeared from shops. 
Why have they disappeared? One reason is that the old-style bulbs have been stockpiled by householders who say they are more efficient than the new ones!




Opaque incandescent bulbs including the 25 and 40W varieties shaped like candles and golf balls will be banned from September this year. 
Production will also be stopped on 100W clear bulbs. Other clear varieties are expected to be phased out from autumn next year. 

The new bulbs have been linked to health problems including skin rashes, migraine and epilepsy.
And as I said previously there are safety concerns because of their mercury content, which makes them difficult and dangerous to dispose of. 

And before I go, did you know?

One of our MPs, Mr David Willetts claimed £100 to employ a man to screw in 25 lightbulbs!!



No comments:

Post a Comment