
Now blessed be the Briton, his beef and his beer,
And all the strong waters that keep him in cheer,
But blessed beyond cattle and blessed beyond kegs
Is the brave British breakfast of bacon and eggs.
Bacon and eggs,
Bacon and eggs,
Sing bacon,
Real bacon,
Real bacon and eggs!
But gross Europeans who constantly munch
Too little breakfast, too freely at lunch
Sit sated in cafes, incapable souls,
And go to the devil on coffee and rolls.
Coffee and rolls,
Ladylike rolls;
Sing coffee,
Pooh ! Coffee,
Black coffee and rolls!
O breakfast ! O breakfast ! The meal of my heart !
Bring porridge, bring sausage, bring kippers to start,
Bring kidney and mushrooms and fat chicken’s legs
But let the foundation be bacon and eggs.
Bacon and eggs,
Bacon and eggs,
Bring bacon,
Crisp bacon,
And let there be eggs!
Thanks to A P Herbert

Now that's a picture! Is that your typical daily breakfast? Don't know about eating chicken at breakfast and I dislike kidney but otherwise "Yes!" to everything in the poem, with black pudding too. Butter on toast, none of that low fat spread, lots of jam too and sugar in the porridge. Mmmmmm!!!! Hey! After what I said yesterday about WV, today's word for me below is table! How appropriate!
ReplyDeleteThere you go....the computer is following our every keystroke!
ReplyDeleteI forgot black pudding...that is a must. Now if you like black pud...
hmm...you must come from 'north of Watford' (like me).
Hmmmm...not necessarily.
ReplyDeleteBut that's not to say I don't.
And that's not to say I do.