Wednesday, 10 June 2009

Can it get Any worse?


Believe it or not, the BBC (ie taxpayers) and the Arts Council of England (ie taxpayers) have forked out for a brand new national anthem for England.
Forget 'Land of Hope and Glory',
reject 'I Vow to Thee, My Country'
and set aside 'Jerusalem'.
For the BBC and the Arts Council have commissioned Sam Dunkley to compose

'Made in England'.

Here is just a painful part of it.

“England my England is always home to me!
Fish and chips in paper, with mushy peas,
Balti chicken, naan bread and onion bhajis,
A cup of tea and toast, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding,
Tastes of our culture, tastes like England to me!”

Oh dear...Oh dear........Oh NO.
This is more than I can bear.
If England ever recovers from this economic depression (known as a 'Brown down') I sincerely hope that one thing that does not appear at the end of it, is the BBC.



At state occasions and major sporting events, most British find the National Anthem more than adequate to express their feelings but it may be nice to have an English tune for English events..
The new song is 'intended to reflect English customs, ideas and creativity in contemporary times'. Umph!!!
Shown the extract from the chorus, Tory MP Ann Widdecombe said:
“As far as I am concerned the National Anthem should stay exactly as it is, which is fine.” '
“Secondly, those lines are so utterly banal that even an 11-year-old would disown them.”
“I am perfectly happy to be British and perfectly happy with the National Anthem as it is. I certainly don't aspire to rewrite anything.“

I wouldn’t mind betting that it’s all to do with being politically correct and in accordance with health and safety and everything else we could do without, it is just dreadful.

Searching through my music I found loads of English songs we could use without having the BBC force this rubbish on us.
Theirs is about “As welcome as a fart in a spacesuit” !

If we need an English Anthem, how about this;

There was a happy island,
That rose from out the seas,
Kissed by the rain and sunshine,
And swept by every breeze.
Her fields are green and flowery,
Her mountains proud and grand,
Her children bless and love her,
This is our home, our land.

Your land and my land,
Your England and mine,
Mother, who calls her sons
Where’er the son doth shine !
Glory be with her,
And keep her name divine,
Your land and my land,
Your England and mine.

What of our happy island?
The storms beat round her now,
Dark are the skies above her,
And grief lies on her brow.
But brave and true and steady,
Her valiant sons and strong,
Have gathered round their homeland,
And join the mighty song.

And the tune is excellent as well.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, but England isn't an island. The first line might have to be "There was a bit-of-an island".
    Oh no, because only a bit of an island wouldn't rise up on its own. Hmmm. What about changing the last line of the first verse to "A bit-of-it is our home, our land". Oh no. It would have to be "Bits-of-it are our home...." because of the Isles of Scilly and other off shore parts of England. Complicated, isn't it?
    As for the British anthem, I couldn't agree more. It isn't even about Britain, it's about the Queen. A national anthem should at least extol the virtues and delights of the country, in my view,not just eulogise a monarch, a person. (And by the way, why do we never sing the second verse?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can't argue with that.
    I'll go back to my music heap and find something more accurate for you.
    However, the English are referred to as an 'Island Race' are they not?

    ReplyDelete