I was just reading the blog by Jan, at Consumne Gal, and she mentioned that the birds there, were enjoying the Mulberries. I have a couple of trees here but the fruit are still hard, green and no bigger than a pea! The birds won't look at them until they are big, black and juicy.
Of course, she is in California and tells me the climate there is very similar to the Mediterranean.
As children we all lived in Mulberry Road and none of us knew what a mulberry looked like.
We had sang about Mulberry bushes but never tasted the fruit.
The trees I have now are some twenty years old and I grew these from seed, having never seen them for sale as plants in a nursery. I had quite a few germinate and planted some out, but each time I moved house, I had to leave them behind. When I came here to Bourne End I planted out the last two I had kept in pots.
Well after fifteen years they finally fruited and it turned out I had one Morus nigra and one Morus alba......a black and a white.
The ripe fruit are still on the small size, I will probably have to wait another fifteen years before they reach full size!
And before you ask.......no I do not breed Silk Worms.


Are mulberries edible?
ReplyDeleteMy dear Foody....would I grow berries in my garden if I could not eat them?
ReplyDeleteNo..That's not a good argument is it?
I grow grass and don't eat that either!
Yes...they are sweet, juicy and delicious. You don't know what you are missing.