OK well we have five digits on each hand and I expect there are some five pronged starfish ......but not many.
Nature seems to prefer ...fours, eights and sixteens.
Now how about fifteen? The only things to come in fifteens are eggs from ASDA.
I went into our Post Office yesterday (closure threat lifted) and asked for a book of ten second class stamps.
"Sorry, they don't do a 'ten' " she said, "They come in dozens".
How nice to hear 'dozens' I thought.
Now you ask......why some sheet music with a clock face on it?
Well, the other day I came on this bit about "Metric Time".
God, will the eu leave nothing alone?
Then I found out the year was 1792.
So how do you fancy a metric pocket watch?
This one was made at Limoges when “metric-mania” swept through France after the Revolution in 1792.
It has a decimal dial divided into 10 hours and 100 minutes.
Needless to say, like a lot of enforced metrication, the idea did not catch on.
In fact, in order to make things easier, they placed a small dial at the bottom showing ‘old-fashioned’ 12 hour time!
Luckily this form of metric madness did not cross the Channel way back in 1792, as the English could recognise a daft idea a mile off. Mind you it took the French 10 years of this chaos before they finally scrapped the concept of “Decimal-time
Time by moments steals away
First the hour and then the day
Small the daily loss appears
Yet it soon amounts to years.

No comments:
Post a Comment