.
.
I was looking for some Somerset music and all I could find was "Drink up de Zider", which wasn't really ideal - so as Devon is just as nice and 'next-door' so to speak - I give you "Dreamy Devon".
I, of course never got to see the trains, as the line closed in May 1940, exactly 70 years ago.
My very first sight of the seaside would have been at Weston-super-Mare when I was five or six. We went by train from Snow Hill in Birmingham during the Cadbury’s ‘two week holiday’ shut-down. They were wonderful holidays and in those days the sun always seemed to shine.
.
.
Weston-super-Mare
The Somerset holidays were this time at Clevedon in our caravan.
The van was in a farmers field alongside the old railway track and us boys spent many happy hours exploring.
Most railway companies in those days, with long titles, would resort to only using the initials on the sides of their carriages and engines, and the Weston, Clevedon and Portishead was no exception. The only problem they encountered was the amusement caused by the lavatorial connection to the letters “WC & P“.
.
.
Clevedon.
Which brings me nicely to something I found in this mornings papers about a “PB & C” .
It would appear to be the abbreviation for a “Peanut Butter and Cream” milkshake.
Presented in a giant 24 ounce cup the whole gloopy,
gooey mess contains 2,010 calories. (equivalent to 68 rashers of bacon).
It contains 153 grams of sugar. (equivalent to 30 chocolate chip cookies).
It contains 136 grams of Fat, of which 68 grams are Saturated fats.
.
.
It is of course an American concoction originating from Los Angeles, where it has been classified as the “unhealthiest drink in America”.
I would have thought it was the unhealthiest drink in the world.
The recipe is simple - take several very large dollops of chocolate ice cream, throw in a hefty wedge of peanut butter, and some heavy cream, and blend.
The astronomical calorie count comes partly from the use of "super premium" ice cream which is defined as having more than 12 per cent butter-fat content.
No wonder it is nicknamed the “heart attack in a glass”.
.

Peanut butter milkshake? - sounds YUK to me!(Luckily ! I won't be tempted. )
ReplyDeletecheers
Helen
I bet you naughty children had lots of sniggers about WC&P.
ReplyDeleteDid you ever go to a campsite near Rhoslefain, Tywyn (then Towyn)? My colleague raves about it. I've checked the name with her and it's called 'Cae Du'.
You know I love peanut butter, but drink sounds just vile. YUUUUUCHCHCHCHCHCH!!!!
Good evening Uncle B..never tasted peanut butter and cream milkshake or icecream...i happen to know that they sell peanut butter icecream at the Italian icecream bar in Rotterdam...not such a fan of peanut butter so i wont be tempted to order one as they have such fantastic flavours of cream there ...and i do remember our campingdays too...we ALWAYS did go "very far away"my mother used to say when i was little..year after year to Texel..you know the isle in the north of Holland...the journey there was always by train...torture because all of Holland seemed to go there at the same time..and because my fathers brother was there already.. so.. when his holiday was done he lend my father his caravan and car..(uncle Piet was the one with the Mercedes and room for a poney}...he and his wife.. no kids.. went home by train and my father drove everything back to Rotterdam again......it was terrible year after year...cold..raining most of the time as it always seemed to do when we went there..and some insects i never saw before in my life ..i was terrified of them and they always did bite ME!!...and we always went back there because the neighbours were there with there terrible children and my parents did exually liked it there!!...i hated it..never gone to a camping again as an adult...traumatised by it in my youth i guess...only for campings though..i lived in some funny places as an "grownup"..
ReplyDeletegreetings Francien.
Ahh such fond memories :-) I really must get my hands on some more of my childhood photos for scanning. We did Wales, Devon and Cornwall and then later Yorkshire and even the Isle of Man.
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of that milkshake, and I'm an Angelino. But, if I were to indulge, it would have to be pure chocolate. If it isn't chocolate, it isn't dessert! We are on vacation, and there are way too many desserts..
ReplyDeletePB & C Fly me to LA!
ReplyDelete... yet they talk about the unhealthy Scots and their deep-fried Mars Bars (though I've never really seen one).
Wonderful memories of a wonderful part of the world of which I am very fond and connected by genes.
ReplyDeleteThat heart attack in a glass amazes me..I sometimes just can't believe what people will consume, have they no tastebuds?
Blue skies here this morning - a nice day for a PB & C to get you up and running! :)
ReplyDeleteNo not really - I think I’d be sick. :(
Helen:
Congratulations on the first YUK. I too could never be tempted.
Foody:
You come in second, I’m afraid - but first for the longest YUUUCH!
Little boys always snigger at toilet jokes - not us big boys though.
The caravan site we had our van on was right alongside the sand dunes at the south end. The little station for the Talyllyn railway was just not far away across the fields.
We didn’t move sites, so no, we didn’t camp at Rhoslefain, but went past the site there on our trips up the coast.
Francien reports Peanut Butter ice cream Rotterdam. :)
Francien:
Good morning. “Bedankt voor je lieve berichtjes.”
Is that right? LOL - Perhaps I’ll stick to English - Thank you for your interesting comments.
I don’t think anyone on this side of the Atlantic has tasted a "PB&C" either!
We did a lot of camping in those days because we were short of money I guess.
It was a cheap holiday and yes, we also got bitten by great big ‘Horse-flies’. :(
I too have not gone back to camping. It must be nearly 40 years since I slept in a tent.
Hi Cherie:
Yes, it is a good idea to go over those old pictures and identify the people and places.
I write on the back so future generations will know who they are looking at and when (and where). I have never been to the Isle of Man, I must consider it.
Hi Myrna:
It was in yesterdays newspaper that I read about it:-
“It is served at Cold Stone Creamery, a chain which has 400 outlets across America.
They boast: "You haven't had a real shake until you've tried ours."
At a branch near Venice Beach in Los Angeles owner Adrienne Fein said: "They're really popular. We sell lots to cyclists and runners who want to up their calorie content and also to tourists who want a treat.”
Trust you are enjoying your hol and that you are getting that leg working again.
Hi Mrs S.
You are the first to fancy one of those - you must like your “Chocolate & Cream”.
I didn’t know Fried Mars Bars originated in Scotland? I shall ask Foody, she knows all there is to know about Mars Bars! LOL
Hi Von:
I remember you saying that you knew Clevedon and the area. It was nice in those days, but today I read in the papers, that the whole area in north Somerset is to be built on to house thousands of new immigrants:-
“It named ten towns and cities across southern England where the pressure of immigration, rising birth rates fuelled by the new arrivals and the longer life expectancies of older people will bring the fastest increase in numbers. Bristol and the district of North Somerset to its south will grow by nearly 100,000 in the next eight years.” (Daily Mail)
Cheers all……..Bernard.
Well, I don't think I'll visit Rotterdam just for its ice cream. Yuck!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I'll report back to my pal. I can't say I know the area myself.
You are a mind reader Uncle Bernard, I was just writing a post about cider and found a link to the Wurzels performing that song on Top of the Pops. Of course I could be bribed not to post it ha ha
ReplyDeleteI'm happy to know you enjoyed your caravan holidays, I certainly wouldn't be without mine. We often take the dogs down to Brean (near Burnham on sea) for a run on the sand, it is one of the windiest places (in England)I have ever known.
Good Evening Uncle B.. yes!! you wrote that right! love when you do that...have a great weekend...should be very sunny here...but the "weatherman" promisses a lot lately.. greetings Francien.
ReplyDeleteAnother YUK from Foody!
ReplyDeleteI'm not promoting this 'PB&C' thing - I think it sounds awful as well. It was in The Telegraph yesterday. :(
I know what you mean about Wales it has loads of remote places. :)
Hi Kath, I have the sheet music for that. I'll e-mail you a copy if I can find it.
We also stayed in a caravan at Breane. It was one we rented before we bought our own.
It you think it was windy there - you should try Chesil Beach. :o
Hi Francien,
I only do it for a bit of a laugh. :D
You see I am no good at all at foreign languages. :(
I failed all my French and German exams at school. :(
I have a Dutch dictionary because I visit a lot of Organ web sites in Holland and need to look up words. I have now found out how to us Google translate.
Greetings.....Bernard