Sunday, 16 May 2010

Monkey Business

.
.
One thing you will probably see with an Organ Grinder, is a toy monkey.
They come in all shapes, colours and sizes. Some are linked in with the cranking and move arms, legs or whatever in time to the music. Others are simply wind-up toys sitting on the organ top. I have a very old toy monkey of this type awaiting repair. It was only a couple of quid from a junk shop and came complete with a broken spring.
As I tinker with clock repairs this should not be a problem. What will be difficult is getting some realistic covering for him.(fur-fabric).
.
.
Way back in Victorian days they used real monkeys.
The monkeys favoured by the Italian grinders, were usually Capuchins (‘ring-tailed’) monkeys from South America, principally from Brazil. Why the Italians preferred this species is a matter of conjecture, as there are many other kinds which would answer the purpose equally well. The ring-tail, however was very quick of perception and learnt rapidly.

A common term for ‘Street Organs’ in the United States is a" Monkey Organ".

This reminds me of a chap who said that he sold Monkey Organs.... A curious passer-by asked him what type of Monkey entrails he sold, the heart, the liver, the spleen, etc?

.
.
Historically, the use of the term "monkey organ" is very deep rooted in both European and American culture. It goes back at least 175 years and is referenced in works such as Henry Mahew's London Labour and the London Poor (published in 1862) which provides a fascinating first-hand glimpse of music on the streets. No organ grinder worth his salt went without a monkey.
.
.
The very last original organ grinder with monkey was, I believe, not an Italian in London or Manchester but an Irishman who worked the South West coast in the summer months from Plymouth to the Isles of Scilly.
He would give his name as Albert Mellors and played a barrel- operated Meloton.
He died in about 1979 but I have no news of what happened to the monkey.
He was very much an end of an era, a decline that had begun as long ago as the 1930’s.
So I’m afraid all you will see now are stuffed toy monkeys.
.

10 comments:

  1. I was invited to the house of a lady who kept 2 pet Capuchin monkeys once. I don't know why she kept them. They had a big pen, but she let them run loose in the house. I'm an animal lover, but that grossed me out. I mostly remember curtains hanging awry and prints of little fingers in the butter, with smear marks across the kitchen counter. A monkey can grab 6 different things at a time - with mouth, 4 feet, and tail - as it scampers across the table. One jumped on the lady's shoulder and she was so busy cuddling it she didn't see that it had put the end of its tail in her glass of soda and was swishing it around.

    Maybe you could train one of your cats? Or maybe not, your cats seem too dignified. In my house, either Charley or George could pass for a monkey. Charley is a good thief, but he mostly concentrates on stealing meat off someone's plate or bones out of the garbage. George charms people to get what he wants. I'd loan you one. Or both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Jan, what a lovely interesting comment for me. Thanks.
    I have heard that they (monkeys) do not make good pets as they can sometimes get quite vicious and also are fairly destructive in the home.
    I am told it is impossible to train a cat as unlike a dog, they have a will of their own. There is a chap (American) on YouTube who has a monkey dressed up as a sailor. It was a long clip and I didn't link to it.
    There is also an organ grinder somewhere who has a parrot. A large blue affair, that climes all over the organ.
    To date I have not 'gone down that road' of having a toy monkey (yet). :)
    Cheers..... Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe a little person would be prepared to wear a monkey costume all day and be your monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's one sad looking stuffed monkey; but he DOES have a smile on his face. I spend more time looking at primates at the zoo than any other animal. Of course the fascination tends to be their similarity to humans. So I'm with Foody. Dress up a small human. Remember the monkey song Abba Dabba Honeymoon? Or is that the Monkey Serenade?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Foody, I have a better idea, I shall hire you in a Singing Chicken costume. ...... and then you can join in singing
    all the choruses! :)

    Hi Myrna,
    Do you know, every time I type your name I think of you sitting upstairs with your poor leg (still) in 'plaster'. :(
    How on earth are you managing?
    That poor stuffed monkey is actually a 'nightdress/pyjama' case. As kids we had a 'Scottie' black dog case. You unzipped his tummy and were supposed to pop your pyjamas in, but boys being boys, they were more likely to end up on the floor! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind thoughts. We are getting out for a week; going on vacation...with the cast. I'm just glad I'll be walking again before too long; a lot of folks aren't so lucky. RE: water based oils- They're a great idea...they don't smell and they dry fast. Unlike acrylics, they dry shiny. I put a gloss over my acrylics. Glad you like my painting. I put away the acrylics for a while and was taking a watercolor class until my "mishap." I will start again in the fall. I really love the medium.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we were in Prague - Christmas 2008, we photographed the organ grinder and his monkey on the Charles Bridge. I think everyone takes his photo - we all love an organ grinder, Bernard - with or without a monkey. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mrs S.
    Have replied to all your lovely comments by e-mail. Hope it arrives OK.
    Bernard xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. My most treasured photo, is myself aged about 5 years, with my Dad. I was holding a little photographers monkey, who was dressed in a tiny sweater and tartan trousers. My brother and I had a toy one, rather like the one on your pic, which was on a tinny metal bicycle. When it was pushed along, it "cycled" the thing. Even when the bike fell to bits and the monkey lost the stuffing from his legs, he was a great favourite. His name was Timmy :)
    Lots of lovely memories around this post Unc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember holding a toy when having my photo taken. Children refused to sit still and would never 'look at the camera', let alone smile!
    I must did out those old pictures and see what I was holding. :)
    I can see we shall have to do a post "Toys I remember best". :)

    ReplyDelete