.
I used to start off all my posts with some sheet music.
I haven't done recently so I shall try again.
.

.
"A Blighted Gardener". A clever play on words here.
Not only did he lose his girl,
but
he also got blight on his cabbages & turnip tops!
Sad really.
.
.
I bought this book "Gardening for Adventure" in 1968.
Bring a bit of excitement into gardening, I thought.
It's all about the unusual; things like the -
and the "Walking Onion".
I grew many of these in those early days. It was all great fun.
But like most things, the novelty wore off.
(There is a video of the cucumber squirting,
But here we are forty years on and I still have a few around.
My "Walking Onion" is still walking.
.
.
This one is in a pot, just in case I lose the ones in the garden.
I call it my "Tree Onion" actually, and
use the little onions that grow on it for pickling.
.
.
Here's a closer look.
When they grow larger and heavier, the stalk collapses and the
little onions take root, so the plant tends to keep 'moving on'.
Another plant still going strong from those days,
is the Alpine Strawberry.
.
.
These have been self seeding in all of my gardens,
for over 40 years.
The berries are very small.
However this tends to concentrate the flavour.
.
.
You don't need cream with these.
Though you do need to get out there early,
before the birds see them!
And finally for today - my 'Ice plants'.
.
.
These are "Echeveria",
and I have lugged these from garden to garden,
every time I have moved house.
I used to have around fifty or sixty.
I used to use them as edging in the good old days,
usually with blue Lobelia, as here.
.

.
They would have been killed off by frost,
so all had to be potted up and kept nice and warm
in the greenhouse.
I gave up on all this, as the cost of heating the house
is extortionate, never mind the greenhouse!
Shame really.
But I still keep a few of these reminders
in the porch & conservatory.
Oh well, back to conifer lopping!
.

Test. Lovely show of colour. Magnificent.
ReplyDeleteFoody here.
Urgh, you have my sympathy. We inherited several over grown leylandii, most of which have been delt with. Theres just one left, but its very close to the boundary fance and hanging over my neighbours bungalow roof.
ReplyDeleteIt's removal is sure to be a bit nerve racking :-O
Every time you show me a tiny glimpse of your garden I hanker for more. It looks to me like you have a very green thumb Bernard. How about a garden tour post?
ReplyDeleteLove the walking onion. I've never heard of them before
Cheers
Helen
Wow that garden is so immaculate, I'm not taking any pictures of mine this year *hangs head in shame*
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing you have kept those plants going for so many years! And I do love that garden view :-)
ReplyDeleteSorry for the delay but......
ReplyDeletethe system has had to be restored yet again.
I don't lose any data but I do lose my cool.
Along with fonts, text sizes, page sizes etc.
NOTHING ever restores to as it was. :(
And :(
again and again!
Never mind. Back now.
So.....
Hi Foody, I have your email and will reply later in the day. Todays blog has taken the best part of the morning, but there are a few Dicky birds for you to identify for me.
Morning Kath:
I inherited these. In fact I have never ever planted Leylandii in my life. I had to cut down 48 at the last house.
No green thumb anymore Helen.
Gardening has all got too much for my poor old back. I now need a 'low maintenance' garden. Do they exist? I wonder?
Hi Eliza:
It was a nice tidy garden but that picture was taken about fifteen years ago!
I, and the garden have both got older and I really can't spend the same amount of time on it anymore.
Hello Cherie,
They are not really the 'same' plants. Each year they used to produce "babies" which I used to break off and plant up. So what I have now are many generations on from the originals. Those in the picture are last years "babies", ready to 'pot up'.
It's all 'go' isn't it?
Cheers all,
Just of to re-install ALL my programs yet again. Bernard.