Monday, 13 June 2011

Raised from my slumbers.

.
Everybody seems very busy these days
judging from what I read on all of your blogs.

I'm busy too, but not on anything of interest.

Sylvie has been making Bread Pud!
The proper way, from left over bread.
The Bread Pudding in Thame Market is £1.50 a chunk!
Mmmmm, I could buy a whole loaf for that.
Are we being ripped orf?
.
.
Sorry that is not Bread Pud, but it is Thame Market last week,
with home made Eccles cakes and Carrot cake.
(to tempt CherryPie)

And this next one is even better than Bread Pud.
Lardy Cake!
.
.
A bit pricey I thought as it always used to be
a cheap alternative to those 'posh' cakes with lots of eggs.
(a temptation for Foody)

So much for calories.

Molly did a very interesting bit on Sempervivums.
I have always liked these.
We used to call them 'Ice plants'.
I've no idea why.
.
.
Anyway. here is a few from my collection.

Tomatoes are coming on well. A bit chilly at nights,
but they have quite a few trusses forming.

Deb, asked about that tomato plant that I grew,
that thought it was a beanstalk.
.
.
Here it is. Out through the roof.
( the blog was here Deb.)

Doohie was interested in my Mulberry trees.
I can't find the old posts just this minute,
but I have two trees which I grew from seed twenty-five years ago.
One is morus nigra, a black mulberry and
the other is called morus alba.
An unusual white version.
.
.
They are very sweet and juicy......
and
all the birds in the neighbourhood know this!

Hence I never get to eat many.
.
.
My garden has been blessed with a good
showing of Aquilegia this year.
Probably because neither I, nor the birds,
have any desire to eat them!
This one is called 'Pink Bonnets'.

And ......just to 'make the day' for brother Ade.
A cat photo.
.
.
A couple of days ago, Wesley was fast asleep on the lawn,
much to the annoyance of a pair of Magpies,
who had a nest in the tree behind.
They squawked at both Hazel and Wes,
if they dared to get too close.
This went on for ages. Hazel got fed up and came in,
but Wes being an awkward bugger, (taking after me),
refused to budge!

There!
I hope I've answered a few queries,
and kept a few happy?

Sorry if I've not mentioned all my friends,
but,
keep the requests coming - please.
It gives me ideas for future ramblings.
.

11 comments:

  1. As usual Bernard it was interesting to read,I think bloggers like yourself are not aware of your worth,for me reading about your day to day life in another country is wonderful.Thank you for a insight in the life of your plants this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, how about telling us what were your childhood amusements, your favourite toy or games. Did you play outside a lot and what were the ryhmes you chanted when playing?
    You never did let on, what was young Bernard's plaything :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You see! Now I've learned something. I never new there was a black mulberry and a white mulberry and as I've never tasted one, I didn't know that they are sweet and juicy. Welcome back from your slumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting when sempervivums (House Leeks) flower - you don't expect them to. I have some around the garden.When I was a child we used to call Sedum spectabile Ice Plant. It's about 18" high, flat pink heads in autumn and fleshy leaves and is a butterfly attractant.
    Re an earlier post - we all join you at different times so what you posted last year is new to some of us - keep going!
    How's the family photo sorting coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to know how you grew mulberries from seeds and how to do it.. I want to try it too...

    What hobbies do you have, what do you do every day, lardy cake.. I love that but have never made it, bread pudding my grandad used to make it and always in a enamel tin tray I still like it but not the commercial versions.

    Favourite puddings, is always a good topic for us cooks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uncle B, my blog friend Nan is 70 today and has posted a photo of herself looking sensational in her swim suit. Truly an inspiration to us younger gals.
    Do hop over and wish her a happy birthday?
    http://nansnewsfromthenorth.blogspot.com/2011/06/birthday-girl.html
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  7. i shall never tire of pictures of wesley and hazel so please keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Uncle Bernard, you are kind and thoughtful x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I see it was Kath who sent you my way. Thanks to her I loved your visit. I visit Kath everyday and love to read these blogs in the UK. Nan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning all.
    I’m a bit behind again, sorry about that. You’ve given me two ideas for further blogs and as some of you have mentioned, I could always go back to previous subjects from last year. This used to be a musical blog if you remember, and there were also all those poor jokes and old songs. Well, I’m right out of jokes at the moment but I still have loads of old songs to work through.
    So,

    Thanks Carole for you comment. Two years ago I did blog every day but of course after a bit the quality drops off and I did tend to repeat items.

    Kath:
    Thanks, that is a good idea. I’ll work on it. A blog about my ‘playthings’ that is. :D

    Doohie:
    Go out now, in June, looking for Mulberry trees in fruit. :)
    They were very popular once up on a time. You can find them in the grounds of old houses, especially the National Trust.

    Morning Sylve.
    I have loads of Sedum spectable and as you say, attracts loads of butterflies. I had never know this as an ‘Ice plants’, although my gardening books do confirm your naming. Photo sorting the first batch is complete, but I have yet to label all the jpegs.
    My sister Jean says she has been up in her loft to dig out the next batch for me to collect when I go to the Blakedown Fete in July.

    Hi Sage:
    I have a post lined up about gardening and Mulberry trees. I will do my best to help out but - Mulberry trees do not fruit until they are at least 15 years old. A long wait.

    Hi Marilyn:
    A lot of my followers like cats (and dogs). It’s only my grumpy old (younger) brother that is not too keen on them. All my cat posts will pop up if you click on the label “Cats again”. it’s the 3rd on down over there on the right and it looks as if I have done 33 posts. Wow!

    Happy Birthday Nan.
    Yes it was Kath. She should have sent me an email and then you wouldn’t have twigged. She used to live just the other side of the Chilterns to me in Railway Cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a trip around the market. Always think the stall holders are a lot more personable and the cakes and veggies are nice and fresh! Your 'reach for the sky' tomato plant looks impressive, all those tomatoes on that truss too!

    ReplyDelete