.
.
It's not easy to find "News of the World" music!
Best I could do.
However, I do have a copy of the so called 'newspaper.'
Not last weeks, nor the very last edition today,
but one from Sunday 23 December 1917.
.
.
Bernard hoards anything!
I am a great one for raking around antique shops although these days there tends to be more junk than antiques.
But it is the 'junk' that firstly, I find more interesting and secondly more affordable.
I will always 'home in' on a pile of old music. Some places sell this at £1-2 per sheet, but others, in a bit to get rid of it may sell a whole pile for a fiver.
These piles hold hidden secrets, for between the sheets of music, all kinds of things can be found.
I have come across newspaper cuttings and even old family photographs.
.
.
This bit above is of the First World War song "Goodbye" sang to the troops as they went off to the trenches. It was here reproduced in the newspaper and someone had saved it in with their music.
Just imagine that bit of news had been tucked in with that music for around 94 years!
The date was Sunday 23 December 1917......and look at the circulation...2,750,000 copies.
.....and an advert for Lipton's Tea. And how about a 94 year old 'tea stain'?
Here's a few bits of news -
.
.
This paper dates back to the First World War,
when the ‘in joke’ was:-
“What is the difference between Lord Kitchener and a Beechams Pill?”
“One sends you out to the front and the other sends you out to the back.”
.
.
and....
Real men playing real football in 1917.
.
.
Someone in the news this morning said:-
"It was an important piece of the furniture of the UK, and closing it so abruptly as a cynical commercial manoeuvre is a disgrace, given its popularity.
Furniture!?!
.
.
and....
.
.
When I was a paper-boy I can remember taking a peep
into the NOTW, and also a wee publication
called 'Tit-bits'.
Anyone remember that?
This chap has given up on NOTW and moved up
in intellectual reading matter!
.

.
I like to give Hazel something to read
when she is sitting on her 'throne'.
.
.
Under her litter tray!
You see, I don't buy/read any newspapers.
Never have - all my life.
So I have to beg old newspapers off friends,
not only for Hazel's box, but also for lighting the fire,
in the winter.
No NOTW anymore Hazel.......
You'll have to make do with the Bucks Free Press.
under your 'potty'!
.
Talking of news papers....here's another joke to finish.
Murphy was sitting there in the Pub reading the Dublin Times, and he turns to his mate Pat and says
“Isn’t it amazing how just enough things seem to happen every day to exactly fill a newspaper!”
Must dash! - off to Flackwell Heath Cherry Fair.
.

I'd made a comment then Error 503 came up and the comment disappeared......
ReplyDeleteI loved this post,what an interesting couple of minutes i just had, a little time walk ..thanks Bernard it is great that you shared these little bits.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed that post too, Bernard! I tried to post a comment on your previous post and they went down to 503 as well! - The News of the World - end of an era caused by a few folk at the top who should have known better! And now all those other folk out of work! Want to check out your Tracker Bar site now.
ReplyDeleteI think she will have much better quality with the free newspapers ;-)
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear that Sylve.
ReplyDeleteI never, ever change settings my end.
I wouldn't know what to change in any case. It seems to be a problem with many blogs at the moment.
Hi Carole, glad you found it interesting. Thanks.
Morning Molly,
Blogger? 'Pain in the posterior' if you ask me!
They are the only ones who can fix it after all. I wish they would get it sorted.
NOTW has gone as a 'brand', but you watch, they won't get rid of all those presses nor the staff - I bet a new title is being dreamt up at this very minute. (ie "The Sun on Sunday")
It's a free 'press' CherryPie, and unfortunately still costs a few bob every Friday. Not for me though.
Actually I don't get any 'freebies' any more. They must be cutting back.
Hi Bernard, back again for a second try.
ReplyDeleteYou almost gave me heart failure for a moment, I though you were going to say Hazel had used the newspaper!
I don't remember TitBits very well but do remember Everybody's, 2d a copy and small print.
One of the newspaper cuttings had a gasbag item - I can remember them in WW2, perched on top of a car, ruffling in the breeze like a mini barrage balloon.
When I first came here I 'did' the local paper for any mention of the village but also the Letters, one of which says, in 1946: '"An old axiom tells us a nation gets the government it deserves." Applying this saying to municipal affairs, Aylesbury is definitely in the penal class.'
What's changed???
I enjoyed reading those news articles. I will be glad when the media finally shut up about all this Snooze of the World stuff though. It is getting far too much air time.
ReplyDeleteThe theme tune to 'Mock the Week' (which I always yell along to as 'Nissan World' because that's what I thought they were singing,) is a good, catchy NOTW song.
I'm glad to see Hazel took the NOTW seriously.
lol I am forever writing to The Scottish Express ;-) I have lost count of the times I have had a letter printed this year, as my hubby says.... "Mrs Angry of Ayr" lol well it keeps me off the streets............oooooooh THAT sounds bad but you know what i mean. ps no letter in today but wondering if I was too late sending my email yesterday afternoon and if it will be in tomorrow as sometimes happens ;-) I love the photo at the top.......now is that you Bernard?
ReplyDeleteI find that Tesco carrier bags are perfect for what comes out of the litter tray Bernard the news vendor:)
ReplyDeleteSuccess! after four days of trying to post your site finally likes me:)
I really loved this post. As one who loves "nostalgia shops," but rarely buys anything, I envy your collections.. I get overwhelmed buy all the wonderful sentimental merchandise. However, my husband recently bought a 1940s Zenith Trans-Oceanic radio. He says it is exactly like the one he had as a kid. He would lie in bed at night and listen to th BBC. When I was a kid I read comic books and movie magazines at night, with a little Pearl Buck thrown in.. Ahhh, the days with no TV!
ReplyDeleteI'm so mad, I can't seem to be able to leave a comment. Last try: love your post.. We troll nostalgia shops, and pick some thing up here and there. My husband recently bought a 1940's Zenith Trans-Oceanic radio, exactly like the one he had as a kid. He used to lie in bed at night and listen to the BBC. when I was a kid, I listened to radio comedy series,' and read comic books. Ahhh, the days before TV.
ReplyDeleteHi Bernard - I like your newsy blog - and I like a good junk shop - I shall be looking carefully in future for hidden treasures between the sheets!- your chat about the litter tray was very useful - it reminded me that a work colleague was in dire need of newspapers for her bunnies - have a good week - Jane
ReplyDeleteWhat an amazing find. I love anything related to the world war periods and it is interesting to see the kind of news and current events that made it into the papers. Thanks for sharing it. And I am itching to try the sheet music on my piano - I can hear the song in my head now...
ReplyDeleteHello! Are you having techno problems again?
ReplyDeleteIsn't it around this time of year that you have all family children round for Monster Munch and a bit of grinding? I look forward to some more posts.