.

.
When I first started blogging - I only did ‘text‘.
I didn’t own a digital camera you see,
but after a while I did manage to use my printer/scanner
and upload my first images.
What a difference -
‘A picture paints a thousand words’ they say, and so it did.
Having failed English Language (O level) at school three times,
this introduction of pictures came to my rescue,
and I didn’t have to write as much.
Well, it was about two years ago that I thought about trying video clips.
I thought you needed a video camera
and fancy editing software to get started.
.

.
It must have been last year,
I discovered my digital camera took ‘moving pictures’,
provided you had enough memory in the camera.
Thirty frames a second soon gobbles up a few Mbytes.
‘Discovered’ is perhaps not quite the right word,
as I knew about it when I bought the camera,
it was that I just never tried it out and additionally,
to make it more difficult,
all the instructions were provided on a CD rather than a ‘real’ document.
So I did try a short clip of still pictures first, -
at a Steam rally - and used blogger to upload it.
Since then I have done short movies of the cats but no headers or music.
So I dabbled with the Vista version of ‘Windows Movie Maker’.
This is how I produced the slideshows for the last two posts.
(There are now four up on YouTube, by the way.)
I’m sure you can tell that I’m no expert,
but you have to start somewhere and the best way is to ’suck it and see’. You will make mistakes and you will learn from it.
I didn’t sit down with the User Guide open alongside,
it was more a case of “I wonder what this does?“
and then finding out!
Helen asked me for a Movie Maker tutorial, no doubt she is planning to entertain us with a slideshow of her English holiday perhaps. I gather she took hundreds of photographs whilst over here this May.
So I will describe what I did.
I am not an expert and I’m sure there are better ways of doing things - and I’m sure there are probably help videos up on YouTube although I haven’t checked.
I am doing a write up over on the my other blog for any interested.
here:-
This means I can carry on here with my usual ramblings later.
.

Learning by "trial and eror" is the best teacher, I think. I have done that too with my camera and it is a fun experiment. Your cat videos are charming...I could just hug to the cat giving a "bath" to his friend. Good luck with more discovery!!
ReplyDeleteI admire that you are prepared to learn all this "new fangled" stuff, my Mum and her freinds won't touch the internet, or use a mobile phone, I think they are missing out on a lot.
ReplyDeleteWell done you, Uncle Bernard, for "moving with the times" while having one foot charmingly in the past xx
Thanks Donna,
ReplyDeleteThat is Wesley (15) giving dear old Hazel (19) a good licking....and of course getting back (what Hazel could manage). I am now going to try to link video clips up together if I can and add a wee bit of music as well.
Hello Kath,
It is not always easy is? I mean, it is not too bad when things go right, but when things don't always go to plan - result - twisted knickers!
Take this commenting business - people all round the blogosphere are having trouble leaving comments. Angus and Annette have said they can't contact me. I don't know what to do. It is nothing I have done this end.
I know lots of people who have given up on webs/blogs/internet etc. Back to the good old days of personal contact. I can't blame them. Face to face chat is so much more friendly.
Sorry I never got to meet you and your hubby before you left us here in Bucks. Maybe when I get my new caravan next year, I shall look for a camp-site in Somerset. (I have to admit now - I'm not all that keen on G'bury. I don't know what it is but it doesn't quite have that 'pull' for me.) Maybe Yatton perhaps?
Thanks for dropping in - your always welcome. :D
yes Unc, this problem with commenting is very frustrating. I got round it, by un-ticking the "stay signed in" box.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, you must come to Somerset and we will take you out to taste the local brew :-D
In answer to your previous question, a "wag" is a scallywag - one who is playfully mischievous, which sums you up perfectly :-D
XX
great blog...just caught up with you
ReplyDeleteI never have a problem commenting. (Some blogs I visit might find that dismaying.) I appreciate how much work it takes to keep up with everything as a blogger, Facebook is much easier. But I love reading about other people's lives and adventures. Don't really care what they ate for breakfast as much as their opinions and adventures. Which is why I enjoy reading your blog.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks Bernard. I can do the MovieMaker bit. We have been making them for ages for our travel photos but I don't know how to put a short video up on Blogger. Have just made a new one(MovieMaker) with Windows 7( my new computer) but it will not load into Blogger. Any help would be appreciated.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
It is fun to learn and make new discoveries as you go along. Currently I need to find out how to get movies of my memory card. For some reason they are not showing up when I put the card into the computer, but I can see them on the camera...
ReplyDeleteHello John, nice of you to call in.
ReplyDeleteI've visited your blog several times from links via Molly or Jan. I'm afraid my only contact with chickens is.....around one o'clock at Sunday lunchtime!
Hi Jan,
You are kind. :)
It's true though, lots of blogs do describe some very mundane daily occurrences. I tend to base my blogs of what I enjoy reading. There are some very, very well written blogs - if you can find them. The hours I must have wasted searching for them, is unbelievable. It is a good job I'm retired.
Trust you are enjoying yours?
Morning Helen,
I'm sorry I got the wrong 'end of the stick'. I think making them is the hard bit, posting them up is just a 'click on the mouse'! What are you doing wrong? You need to check the file size. There is a maximum you know?
I will look into it.
Can't help you there CherryPie.
I have a USB cable that just plugs in and 'Hey-presto'! In they go.
I have slots on the front of the PC for memory cards but have never had need to use them.
My camera will do movies and panorama pics but I haven't tried either yet. I might pluck up the courage one day and will take the tutorial. I'm glad you have put it up because when you try to follow instructions they usually miss out some important little step which is obvious when you know how, but I'm never someone who knows how. I look forward to watching your movies too.
ReplyDelete