Saturday, 27 August 2011

"Hang on to your Hat."

.
Jolly boating weather for some.
.
.
But not so good for others.

Sandy Bay Yacht Club,

The following are either cancelled or postponed:
Saturday's & Sunday's Races are cancelled.
Sunday Morning Coffee is cancelled.
Sunday After Race Social is cancelled.
Sunday's Annual Meeting for Members is postponed until Sunday, September 4th at 11:00 a.m.
Ben's BBQ this Saturday night is postponed until a date to be determined.

And to make things worse I read this:-

SITUATION OVERVIEW…(from the Yacht Club Weather Bulletin)

HURRICANE IS MOVING TO THE NORTH NORTHEAST AND WILL AFFECT SOUTHERN ENGLAND SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY.

A HURRICANE WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS...
SOUTHERN BRISTOL...SOUTHERN PLYMOUTH...BARNSTABLE .

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING CONTINUES FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS...
...NORTHERN WORCESTER...CENTRAL MIDDLESEX...WESTERN ESSEX ...EASTERN ESSEX ...WESTERN HAMPSHIRE ...EASTERN HAMPSHIRE ...
SOUTHERN WORCESTER...WESTERN NORFOLK ...SOUTHEAST MIDDLESEX...SUFFOLK ...EASTERN NORFOLK ...NORTHERN BRISTOL ...
WESTERN PLYMOUTH ...EASTERN PLYMOUTH ...NORTHERN MIDDLESEX
AND WESTERN KENT.

THE POSSIBILITY EXISTS FOR 5 TO 10 INCHES OF RAINFALL ACROSS
SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND WITH THE HIGHEST AMOUNTS ACROSS THE
INTERIOR...PARTICULARLY THE EAST SLOPES OF THE BERKSHIRES.
THE NEXT LOCAL STATEMENT WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON AROUND 7 AM EDT...OR SOONER IF CONDITIONS WARRANT.

Sandy Bay Yacht Club,
Rockport, Massachusetts.

- + -

Did that get you guessing?

Some familiar place-names mentioned here,
don't you think?

Hang on to your hat Deb!

We 're thinking of you here in little 'OLD England'.

Shame about Ben’s BBQ !

Now back over here,
I'm finding that things -
are 'getting on top of me' a bit.

.
.
So I'm just going to have a wee break.

.
.
Little 'b' at Weston-super-Mare, circa 1947.
.

11 comments:

  1. Is that for real? Is Britain expecting a hurricane right now? According to our news, the only place in the world that matters is New York City, there is no weather anywhere else on the planet right now. So you must be mistaken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Jan. I'm in OLD England.
    This weather report came from NEW England, Massachusetts USA.
    I was comparing the similarity of the place names between here, and NEW England.
    They are all very similarly named places.
    Sorry you didn't twig. (as we say in OLD England).
    We are all safe and dry in this neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear bernard,
    take as long as you need to recharge your batteries but you will be sincerely missed. Hugs to wesley and hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was guilty of reading too fast and making assumptions, but I'm so glad you're not in the way of a hurricane. Do you get them in Old England?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take care, Bernard, we all need a rest sometime or other...

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I started reading your blog post Bernard, you had me worried too and then I got to the bottom bit - phew. Saying that, I think all our thoughts are with those folk caught up, right now, in the havoc of Hurricane Irene. Have a good break and when you've recharged - we'll be looking out for you when you get back

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bernard, we look forward to you coming back,I really enjoy your blog but when the batteries go flat you have to recharge, I guess you have work piling up ,so have a rest catch up and come back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have lots of English names here too Bernard - and American ones too. Luckily we have lots of Aboriginal ones to give us something unique.
    Hope you are feeling OK and just having a holiday. Enjoy yourself and the Autumn weather that must be fast approaching you over there and come back to us refreshed.
    Cheers
    Helen
    PS security word : reparim !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We'll still be here, dear Uncle Bernard x

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are rather similar aren't they?

    Enjoy your break :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your stay in New England Bernard - we will keep thr home fires burning - as they say over here - until you get back - Jane

    ReplyDelete