.
"Time for bed" said Zebedee!
.
.
Now why would I be taking a stout pair
of leather gloves into the bedroom?
No.
It's nothing to do with leather boots I assure you!
Nor "fleas and ticks"!
It's to do with hedgehogs.
- + -
I am very fond of Hedgehogs
Which makes me want to say,
That I am struck with wonder,
How there’s any left today,
For each morning as I travel
And no short distance that,
All I see are Hedgehogs,
Squashed. And dead. And flat.
.
.
But not on my back yard.
In the summer the cats like to be fed outside.
Hazel has just had a pick around,
and wandered off (on the left) to look at the stars,
and Mrs H moves in quick....
.
.
And polishes off everything that is left.
.
.
Now last week, Wesley came through the cat-flap in a bit of a hurry and broke the little door off. Of course the hole was still there and guess who decided to come in and snout around for food?
.
.
Mrs H.
I heard this snorting in the bedroom and there she was.
Lost her bearings and couldn't navigate back to the conservatory.
This happened three nights 'on the trot',
hence the leather gloves..
- + -
A Hedgehog cannot make you laugh,
Whistle, dance or sing,
And she ain’t much to look at,
And she don’t make anything.
Except baby hedgehogs!
.
.
This 'mother' hedgehog has been bringing her three babies round every evening to show them where to get a really good 'takeaway'.
I now scrape the leftovers into a plastic 'plant saucer',
They make less mess with it's higher sides.
.
.
I couldn't get a picture of all four.
They are quite shy.
- + -
And in amongst their prickles,
There’s fleas and ticks and that,
But there ain’t no need to leave them,
Squashed. And dead. And flat.
.

.
The wee bits of poetry are of course,
by the talented Pam Ayres.
And......I have fitted a nice nooooo flap,
and I no longer need to take gloves to bed!
.
UPDATE: I did try a go at filming Mrs. H.
Not very good, I'm afraid, there was poor light.
.
.

Oh Bernard I'd love to have a little hedgehog visiting every night. I hear a lot of people put out cat food for them to build up their stores ( of fat ?) for the long winter hibernation.
ReplyDeleteI have also heard that there are indeed real concerns that they may eventually die out. That would be a terrible shame.
Cheers
Helen
I love hedgehogs and used to get them visiting when I lived in Prestwood. Not here, though, badgers can unroll them so animal charities won't let you home any if you have their nemesis just round the corner. They're surprisingly noisy animals, crashing through the garden plants, grunting and treading in their food...no manners. How fantastic to have one in your house, too!
ReplyDeleteThey are adorable!
ReplyDeleteThere is a mad growly doggie-dash down the garden every night, which is probably why I never see hedgehogs in the garden here!
Oh Bernard what a lovely blog - I get a hedgehog in my garden now and again - he or she usually comes quite late at night - and is snuffling round under the birdfeeders - my dog usually finds it first and stands back and barks - when I arrive my dog just stands back and looks on with that look - oh here we go again what have I got to share the garden with now!
ReplyDeleteDear Bernard,
ReplyDeleteHave never heard of hedgehogs in Alabama but we do have possums and raccoons that want to be fed. Am glad they don't bother the cats. You must have been surprised to find one inside the house!
Hi Bernard, when I visited the Uk we went to a tiny pub for dinner and a little hedgehog came into the garden we were thrilled,they are a lot smaller than out Ecidnas which i see almost daily at this time of year on my mail run,i always pull up alongside them and let Mum watch as they eat,she did not see one until 2 years ago at 89 so now i make sure we stop so she can enjoy the wonder of the lovely creatures,Loved this post thanks for that.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant pictures - the little critters look very much at home!
ReplyDeleteThat is way to cute :-) I am glad you have found a way to keep her safe in the garden :-)
ReplyDeleteWonderful.
ReplyDeleteThat's a cute little critter; I've never seen one. In our former house in the hills, we had possum, raccoons, coyotes, a small wildcat, a baby rattlesnake (awful), a deer in the street, and an eagle doing a "fly-over." We are now more "citified" and get possum still, mice and rats (not in my house), and lots of pigeons and sea gulls. Luv the wildlife!
ReplyDeleteThank you all, and everyone for your kind comments - but I am just that wee bit upset today to reply to you all as I should.
ReplyDeleteSee next post.
Thanks again - glad you liked it.
Bernard.
Uncle B, I just got to catch up on blogs today after coming back from vacation. The hedgehogs are cuties. Do they have barbs like porcupines? Is that why you need the gloves? I think Mrs. Hedgehog has been talking to your cats and knows a good home when she sees one. I bet she'd curl right up on your stairs, too.
ReplyDeleteReading ahead, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend. Hugs to you.