.
I expect many of you have been saying how, over Christmas, there was "Nothing on the telly worth watching".
I have suspected this might have been the case, for over seven years, for that is how long I have rejoiced for the lack of the 'idiot lantern' in the corner of my room.
Please don't get me wrong....if what they serve up, is what you enjoy, then great - they have a happy customer, but it's not for me.
Over the last ten years, or maybe more, the quality (so I'm told) has gone from bad to worse.
But lo and behold!
All is not lost.
Those glorious days of yore, have been preserved and the humour of yesteryear can still bring tears of laughter to your eyes. If, of course you enjoy, what I enjoyed all those years ago, when I could afford a TV licence!
Twenty-five, maybe thirty years ago, I creased myself up laughing at the performances of the 'Two Ronnies' on Saturday night.
I remember thinking, "Oh, I wish I could record that - just to catch those magical words again.
Ronnie Barker was just so clever with our English language. Then, it was a 'blink and you missed it for ever' situation. But, as I said, all is not lost, thanks to YT and those wonderfull people who have saved these clips.
They are all there if you go and look.
"Knock and the door will open.
Seek and ye shall find."
There they all were.
Which should I choose?
All brilliant.
Well, I chose, English Country Dancing. (as I cannot forget, from my schooldays - all those big girls bums jiggling about in front of me!)
And, of course, English Folk Song - as, all these years on, I can still remember all the chords, but not a single line of the words!
.
.
Last night I was watching a program on iPlayer about New England.
So, for all my friends on the t'other side of the pond, we English, are just as eccentric as ever - and enjoying life to the full.
We must enjoy it whilst we can,
- we only get 'one innings'.
- we only get 'one innings'.

Love the two Ronnies. We watched 'Porridge' over Christmas - still as funny as ever.
ReplyDeleteMolly - Just this very minute, this very minute, left you a few words on your blog. Small world, isn't it?
ReplyDelete"Laugh, and the world laughs with you"
as they say.
Cheers...B
How I agree with you Bernard, I dislike the reality shows they keep showing, you will not catch me watching folk sitting in a house or folk eating disgusting things in a jungle. But give me real comedy anytime, like your video there.
ReplyDeleteWhen we came back from Singapore last month I laughed so much at Bob Newhart and his take off of The Driving Instructor and others via the in flight entertainment that once home I looked them up on YT. We recorded Lee Mack over new year but we deleted it after watching it for a few minutes he spoilt it all by being too crude, I am not a prude but I was very disappointed in his show.
Happy new Year Uncle B!
ReplyDeleteThis is an old bug-bear of ours. Especially over christmas, we think it's the best thing we ever did- ditching the TV. For christmas I recieved a set of DVDs "Open all hours" and "Rising damp". Husband was given "Fawlty towers" and "Porridge", so if we fancy a bit of viewing, we can have an hour of comedy classics.
No TV in this house for 15 years. I can get everything I want on Hulu and Netflix, but really that's not much, so much of it is doo doo. Do you suppose it's an international underground effort to dumb down civilization? It's working.
ReplyDeleteHelp please Bernard. After I posted my previous log on your blog, I have somewhere clicked something! And I am now getting alert emails telling me someone has posted on your blog.
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for any help.
Classic Bernard. We have a couple of free to air channels that play all these oldies. Great for when TV is terrible as it is over the long Summer holidays when we still have dark by 7 o'clock.
ReplyDeleteThanks to my clever mobile phone I am often to be found playing Scrabble with my son 1000k away or my daughter 100k away or my friend down the road ! Better than a lot of mindless viewing.
The Two Ronnies are classic and their humour never fades. They also remind me of my childhood days, they always appeared on Christmas day :-)
ReplyDeleteI had forgotten that sketch, thank-you for reminding me, it gave a laugh :-)
When I think of them I always think of the 'Four Candles' sketch :-)
Great comedy, which is sadly lacking these days...
Ah ha I see it now Bernard, many thanks for your help. I did notice that when I went back to see how to stop the emails ,,,,,,,,, so I have obviously clicked that by mistake. Thank you very much. ;-).
ReplyDeleteHi Ann,
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you solved the email problem.
I too have the same trouble with YouTube. I click on one subject and YT throws up lots of (their suggested) rude videos. There are so many poor, crude clips up on there now.
Thanks Kath - Happy New Year to you & J. :D
I too have the “Open all hours” & “Fawlty Towers” sets. The real Fawlty Towers is (was) just 100yds down the road from me. Where they filmed it, that is.
Hi Jan,
Well you have beaten me there! 15 years!. I’ve been without one for nine years now. Someone once said to me that “If I think British TV is bad - You should see American programs.”
And, yes, I do think there is a dumbing down. It’s the old ploy of giving them “Bread and Circus’s” to keep the ‘peasants’ quiet.
Hello Helen,
I think it is good that these old programs have not been lost. We have channels ‘UK Gold’ and I think one called ‘Yesterday’. But not having a telly I have to rely on YouTube.
Hi CherryPie.
I can’t every remember, not enjoying a Two Ronnies program. They must be ‘classics’, as I can watch them over and over again and never tire. Always a laugh.
I am great admirer of Ronnie Barker. We love 'Porridge'. (Can't say I like Ronnie Corbett much at all though.)
ReplyDelete