.
Just before Christmas, I did a post about some of my drawings that I did at school.
You all, very kindly,
said nice things about them and even asked to see a few more.
Well, perhaps one day I’ll dig out a few of the better ones.
Actually, all these years on, I don’t think they are all that good, but there again, I‘m not sure that I could do any better today as I now need specs. for doing anything and everything!
Among the many comments to that blog, Jane left this one (part of)…
“Your scraperboard drawing brought back memories -
I used to like having a go at that -
mind you I was not as expert as you.”
And then Francien added:-
“Well sir...I am a bit disappointed......no cats!!”
“Uncle B., I would love to see a cat picture.”
And then a similar request from Marilyn:
"As Francien said - What, no cats?
I'll wager you have some drawings or could do them now."
I did, in those days, draw many subjects,
some turned out better than others.
Being an engineering sort of chap,
my drawings of buildings seemed to come out best.
Indeed the only pictures I have ever had published,
They were similar to this ‘etching’ of The Green Man. (drawn circa 1975).
.
.
The Green Man.
After a bit of searching I did find a picture to perhaps,
keep Francien and Marilyn happy.
.
.
I was not all that happy with it, as I don’t think the eyes are correct.
But, with scraperboard -
once you have scraped away the black surface -
that’s it!
(Actually, you can make minor corrections with Indian Ink.)
Eliza kindly suggested that I get going again:
“Those drawings are fantastic.
Perhaps you should get your sketch pad out again.”
And more encouragement from Jan too:
“I love all your pieces and I hope you'll do some new ones.”
At this stage, I didn’t know what Jan had included in the ‘Cookie’ parcel from California.
It wasn‘t until Christmas Day that I opened that extra ‘pressy’.
.
.
A set of Drawing Pencils! (see picture lower down).
Thanks Jan.
It is true that after all these years,
I would not have been able to find even one pencil,
let alone, six different grades!
So, I thought “I better try my hand at a little sketching -
something easy for starters.”
I bet I’ve lost the knack after forty years.
So, as requested,
I thought I would see if I could do a better cat drawing for you?
And what better cat is there to start with,
than Wesley?
.
.
Eyes are so difficult.
.
.
Nearly done.
.
.
"You can get down now!"
"It's finished."
.
.
Well, it's better than that early scraper-board.
"What do you think, Little Wes?"
.
.
"I think it's time for my Felix!"
and
Unc. Bernard needs a coffee!
Blogger has just told me this is -
my 500th blog post.
(You poor souls!)
and
Unc. Bernard needs a coffee!
Blogger has just told me this is -
my 500th blog post.
(You poor souls!)
.



Wonderful Bernard, How did you get Wesley to pose :-)
ReplyDeleteI used to scraperboard and sketch, people and animals mostly, I too had trouble with the eyes. And compared to your drawings ... well I won't be getting my pencils out any time this century.
Eyes - It's the same with carving and modeling - one billionth of an inch out of place and it all goes wrong.
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year to you and to Wesley - My you have been productive 2 blogs in 2 days - Love your two Ronnies clip and yes I agree TV is rubbish - but I did watch Downton Abbey over Xmas - your drawings of Wesley are really good - I am sure he is very proud - look forward to viewing more drawings now you have your new pencils - by the way thankyou for your comment on my Bewdley blog - we did see the steam from the train behind the trees - it is a lovely train ride we have done it a number of times - have a good weekend Jane
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon Bernard
ReplyDeleteAnd how about those drawings...i am stunned!!! i liked the scraper-board pictures.......but this drawing from Wesley is absolutly amazing...you have done the eyes so good!!....but then you had the most beautiful model too....such a great cat Wesley is!!...and i use to paint my bulldogs in oilpaint and remember how difficult it was sketching and painting the eyes...Thanks for the lovely pictures Bernard...enjoyed them very much!!....and what a little gift can inspire people....oh well ..."little gift "...Faber Castell pencils are the best..... Ik wil wel meer van zulke tekeningen zien...je hebt het nog in je vingers.....groetjes Francien.
Thanks Jan for giving Barnard the inspiration by sending him this pencils..
I recognised Wesley immediately, even before I read the text. I hope you will start drawing again Uncle B, it's obviously something that you enjoy and you do so well.
ReplyDeleteSo how will you celebrate your 500th post?
These are just beautiful Bernard. I can't draw a straight line. I am envious, well done.
ReplyDeleteI love it! You've captured Wesley as only a life-long friend could, and proven to the world at the same time that artist talent isn't something you USED to have. Now you've inspired me to clear off the table, find that red lily watercolor I started, and finish it.
ReplyDeleteBernard you certainly haven't lost your touch - those drawings of Wesley are brilliant,
ReplyDeleteThe only thing the Wesley drawing needs now is a frame. Lovely pictures, all of them.
ReplyDeleteDear Bernard,
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are all fine for sure but the ones of dear Wesley capture his heart and spirit. The eyes look straight into his soul to reflect the love that has always surrounded him. These were like late Christmas gifts. Wesley favors my cherished moggie, Sunshine, a tripod who is in my lap as I write so I am smitten. Thank you and please give us more of whatever else strikes your fancy. And cheers for Jan!
Congratulations on you 500th post.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly haven't lost you touch with your drawing techniques. The drawing of Wes is just perfect :-)
Wonderful drawings, Bernard.
ReplyDelete500 posts! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteGlad you've got back to the sketching, it's a lovely hobby and you have so many lovely vistas to sketch over there. How are you are canal boats etc? I think a Henley scene would be a great subject.
Cheers
Thank you, one and all for your (13) appreciative comments.
ReplyDeleteI guess I should say ’thanks’ thirteen times here, but it would seem a bit repetitive.
Tom mentioned carving. Well I have done a bit over the years but just couldn’t imagine trying to carve a persons or animals head. It must be ten times as diff. as doing a drawing.
And thanks for the nice comments about ’500 blogs’. It is actually more than that.
I started exactly three years ago. The original blog (Tracker-bar) went up to 231 posts, so the grand total for the three years is over 700. I never expected to keep going for this long - and to be honest, there are times when I nearly dry up.
Cheers all…and thanks again.
These are wonderful. Love them!
ReplyDeleteThanks, glad you liked them.
DeleteOh, Bernard! You are indeed a talented man. Your sketches are beautifully crafted, I really enjoyed them. Congratulations on your 500th post....each one I've read has been lots of fun, and often taken me back to memorable places.
ReplyDeleteHey! Look what blogger has come up with. A personal reply option.
DeleteHi Myrna. I must test this out.
Thanks for your compliments.
I can't imagine how I managed to finds things for 500 posts.
BEAUTIFUL! The eyes are wonderful. You truly captured Wesley.
ReplyDeleteOh, and Happy New Year!
Hello Mary,
DeleteMany thanks, and I hope you have a good 2012 too.
Excellent likeness. Came here via Jan Blawat's sidebar and I will be back!
ReplyDeleteHello Katherine.
DeleteI am very flattered that you have become my 44th follower. :)
And thank you for liking my little sketch. It was a 'one off'. I don't find enough time these days for drawing.
Please call in anytime.
Cheers.....Bernard
Just found your lovely Wesley and his portrait. What a little scamp he looks as a kitten!
ReplyDeleteI've only done very quick pen and ink sketches of the cats I had years ago, never anything as detailed as yours. Please keep it going, even if now and again.
Wesley certainly was a scamp. He had a habit of trying to climb up up the back of my legs when I was washing up! Claws digging in.
DeleteI find pen & ink difficult. You can't rub it out like pencil.
(Just doing you an email reply)
Yes, eyes are difficult! My father taught drawing for many years and I am a pretend artist, so I know. Your drawings are great and the latest ones show that you've still "got it"!! Keep up the excellent work!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Donna.
ReplyDeleteIt's not only drawing eyes that can be difficult. My own poor old pair aren't what they used to be.
These are great, Bernard! The Wesley ones especially, as well as that cute pub. You could do placemats and lots of lovely things for tourists to spend lots of money on!
ReplyDeleteEspecially as you are probably snowed in. What better way to while away the hours?