.
Many years ago (circa 1975) I used to be a member of CAMRA.
The Campaign for Real Ale.
CAMRA led one of the largest consumer revolutions of all times. It proved to the Brewers that not everyone wanted the characterless processed beers that at that time were being forced on the public. Here in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire were active groups producing their own local Good Beer Guides.
Well the word got round that I was a bit of an artist and the groups approached me to see if I could do some small 'Pen and Ink' drawing of some of the pubs. Not every pub, just a few to break up the pages and pages of listed pubs. There were about 400 in Berkshire.
So off I went to sit outside pubs in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire
and make a few sketches.
Well that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
Click on picture to enlarge.
.
.
The Elephant & Castle - Amersham
The results of my labours soon showed up in these little guides.
They were not of course meant to be proper pictures,
just a small illustration.
.
.
The Old Five Bells - Burnham
The publishers wanted black and white drawings rather than photographs, or coloured pictures, in order to keep the costs down. This was way back in 1977.
Today, with all this computer technology, thing would be totally different of course.
.
.
The Blackbird - Bagnor
I've just picked out a few here.
Mustn't bore you with dozens of pictures of pubs.
.
.
The Chequers Inn - Wooburn Common
Some of the pubs, like the one above, started using my line drawings in the local press to advertise their restaurants.
One year CAMRA asked me to do a Christmas card drawing for them with a bit of snow.
I did not sit outside for this one!
.
.
The Cricketers - Littlewick Green
It was done on 'Scraper-board' in the summer and the snow was added by scraping away more of the black backing.
.
.
A sketch done on holiday in Cornwall - just for fun!
.
PS Anyone spot that those Beer bottles are 30 years old?
A couple still have beer in them!
.

How wonderful. What a great artist you are KD. I'm glad youi have shown us some of your work. Are you still doing them? They are very good.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
You are incredibly talented, obviously recognised by CAMRA and others.
ReplyDeleteMy uncle used to do pen and ink sketches of holiday locations, usually Scotland, and used them for Christmas cards. I still have them. Art like that needs to be kept ad infinitum so I'm glad you still have your sketches.
These are great! You are an extremely talented kipper. You could make more of your drawing if you wanted. I think pen and ink black and white drawings are a lot more atmospheric than colour, or photos.
ReplyDeleteI have tried a bit of pen and ink in my time, copying holiday photos or postcards, but I don't know where any of them are. Oh yes I do. But I don't know where my best one has gone.
Delightful Bernard, how talented you are! I can't draw perspective to save my life, but I do like to draw faces.
ReplyDeleteI know all those pubs (maybe I shouldnt admit to that) and I used to go in the Chequers at Wooburn Common, I think thats where I first tasted the deep fried slugs in breadcrumbs.....
Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful. You should do more.
ReplyDeleteFirstly, thanks to you all for liking them. :)
ReplyDelete(Flattery will get you everywhere) :)
Helen:
No, not a great artist.
I always think of an artist as one who creates original works of art, like sculpture and paintings. I am more of an illustrator - I was always fairly good at technical drawing. :)
Valerie:
I too used to do a little sketch on the back of a postcard to send home from holiday. My mother kept everything - I must see if I can dig them out. I was not very old, so I don't think they were in the same class as those above.
Foody:
A 'talented kipper'! I like it. Actually, I have just taken a kipper out of the freezer this morning for a midday snack. Mmmmmmm.
You are right about 'pen & ink'. Mind you, it is more difficult than some people think.
You have to get it right first time - no rubbing out!
Dig them out Foody, show us your etchings! :)
Kath:
You don't have to drink a lot to know all the pubs for thirty miles around. :D
Way back then, us mates used to explore the back lanes just for the fun of it. We didn't have a lot to drink - it was just nice to be out in the country.
Testing you - do know of the "Dewdrop" just off the A4? Now that IS hard to find.
Slugs? Who said anything about slugs? :o
I was referring to the Russet apples!!!! :D
Actually, they used to do "Scampi in the Basket" at the Chequers. Lovely.
Hi Deb.
Praise from a real artist, is praise indeed.
Thank you.
There are loads more. I think I did about twenty or thirty in all. I did mount and frame one, but I don't think they make good pictures. Ideal for coasters or beermats perhaps. :)
Cheers all...... Bernard.
Those are great drawings, you are very talented :-)
ReplyDeleteThe beer on the right hand side caught me eye.
Oh Bernard, I never know if you are teasing me or not :D
ReplyDeleteThe Dewdrop? Don't think I know it. We used to go to the Whippet Inn on the A4, to drink their cider and yes, thats what the brew was called...
Take a peek at my friend Valentina's Blog to see a very impressive organ on the streets of Groningen. http://valentinascorner.blogspot.com/2010/06/while-mom-and-dad-go-to-hospital.html
Hi Cherie,
ReplyDeleteI guessed it might. :)
I assume the Iron Bridge caught your eye rather than the beer. I bought that bottle in 1979.
Kath, if you can't guess - it must be a good tease. :D
The "Dewdrop" is down a dead-end road on the right, just before you get to Knowle Hill.
I can't say I have come across the "Whippet".
We must be 'evens' now. :)
Will take a peek at the organ. Thanks.
Cross my heart Uncle, there was a pub of that name, not far from where you describe and on a board above the bar, drinkers were urged to try a pint of Whippet Inn Cider.
ReplyDeleteit was quite close to where the steam rallies were held.
I've been thinking about the deep fried slugs..maybe they would make a tasty little kebab threaded onto a skewer.....
Now you come to mention it .....there was a pub, just off the A4, on the way to Bracknell that only sold cider. A Cider Pub.
ReplyDeleteIs that the one you are thinking of?
We were all beer drinkers in those days so we never called in to "Whippet out" or whop it about! :D
I believe you.......honest.
You will be making....Ratatouille this week I guess? :O
If I could draw I would never stop!
ReplyDeleteAm I right in thinking that one of your parents also had this gift? My husband is a very talented 'drawer' (and engineer), but he always said he was only copying what he saw!!! Both my sons are talented in that area too. I can't draw for toffee so I appreciate talent such as yours Bernard. Your work is terrific. xx
Mrs S, it's never to late to try.
ReplyDeleteYes, you guessed.
My mother was a musician; played the violin.
When Dad retired and was at home all day, she went to art school to learn to paint.
She became very good. She found a hidden talent.
I have her paintings on most walls around the house to this day.
Dad wasn't musical or an artist - an engineer and gardener.
Cheers.....Bernard xx