.

.
The common frog, in spite of its name, is not common in many areas of Britain these days. In the intensively farmed countryside the frog has almost completely disappeared. Agricultural sprays, draining wetland habitats and filling-in small ponds that the frogs use as breeding sites, are the main reasons for the frogs’ decline.
However, here in my unpolluted ponds, I have, as every year, more frogs than I know what to do with. I was going to tell you how to cook them, but I think I have teased Kath enough for now.
I have seven ponds, two medium size and five smaller. They overflow into each other in a cascade (when the pump is turned on). The frogs only seem to leave spawn in the two larger ponds, so it probably something to do with the depth of water.
There was plenty of commotion in this pond in the Spring.
.
.
At first the tadpoles eat the remaining egg gel from which they hatched. They then eat submerged vegetable matter whilst absorbing oxygen directly from the water using their gills (fish also use gills to extract oxygen from the water). As they grow in size, lungs will develop inside the tadpoles and they will then begin to visit the surface in order to breathe in some of their oxygen from the air. Eventually the diet becomes more carnivorous as the tadpole will start eating small invertebrates in the water and even each other.
The whole process of change - from tadpole to young frog – takes about 12 weeks
As I always have loads of spawn, I put some in a separate container to help ensure a few survive.
One February the ponds froze over and that must have killed off a lot.
Later on the Blackbirds sit on the rocks picking out the eggs!
It's a real struggle to become a tadpole.
Having a few in a container,
means I can photograph them more easily as well.
.
.
A young frog, still with a tail. Taken last week.
And this weekend the little frogs all ready to go.
.
.
Once they try to climb out, I catch them and release them into one of the smaller and shallower ponds. The pump will not be turned on for a few more weeks so that they get time to hop off.
The only noticeable difference from the adults is the size, the young froglets are about 1cm in length, compared to around 8cm for a fully grown adult. It will take three years for the young froglets to reach their full size. Of all the tadpoles that emerged from their gelatinous egg cases back in early March, only a very small proportion of them have actually made it to the stage of leaving the water. Most will have been eaten by other animals or succumbed to disease during the four month period of development in their freshwater habitat.
.

I just love the tiny, perfect, little frogs. My neighbours pond is teeming with frogs which make their way into our flower beds, but they don't seem to eat the slugs. Maybe the Chiltern frogs have developed more gourmet tastes :D
ReplyDeleteHi Kath,
ReplyDeletePerhaps you have those really big slugs in your garden. :(
Too big a mouthful for your average frog.
Hedgehogs will munch their way through those for you.
When you mentioned Hostas, I thought of those gardens out at Bledlow. They were full of Hostas and none of them had a single hole in the leaves! How did they do it?
It must be frogs and hedgehogs. I didn't see any pellets put down.
Actually my problem here is snails!
I do, however, have a few kindly thrushes to keep their numbers down. :)
Good afternoon Uncle B..that must give some "music"at your ponds from the froggies......seven ponds...how great is that...must be something different to see every time..love the little frogs with the tail...great pictures!!...greetings Francien.
ReplyDeleteI always find those tiny frogs cute.
ReplyDeleteGood morning Francien,
ReplyDeleteYes, a lot of noise from the frogs in the Spring. They croak all through the night as well. The ponds are not very big, it is more like stream on a slope! A series of steps.
It is about 12 metres long with a pump at the bottom to get the water back up to the top.
Hi Cherie,
They are so tiny, with even smaller tiny little fingers on their hands. Amazing.
It is sad that so many do not make it to adult frogs. Ah well. I suppose that is nature.
Good on you KD. You are doing your bit for the environment. I love our green tree frogs but the horrible cane toad is proving quite a threat to their survival.
ReplyDeletecheers
Helen
Fascinating stuff, Bernard. A 12 metre long stream is actually quite big (I'm using it as a comparison with my own garden). Nice of you to help the froggies into maturity and nice to have something to care for too. I wondered if you named them. I two fabulous hostas - hardly bitten into at all - yet another two, in another part of my garden have holes all over. I don't know wondered if it was because they weren't as strong. xx
ReplyDeleteI love ponds! I love frogs and goldfish and koi. Unfortunately, so do the rotten raccoons. Your pictures are tempting me to invest in an electric anti-raccoon fence, though, so I can enjoy my own back yard.
ReplyDeleteThanks Helen,
ReplyDeletewhen I hear about a threat to wildlife, I like to help by providing a better habitat for them by providing lots of trees, hedges and ponds.
Hi Mrs S.
I had to buy a 12 metre (actually 12 yard) length of pipe to get the water from the bottom to the top. There may be some pictures way back in the blog. Can't remember where. :(
If Hostas are in the open, they seem to survive slugs, but when they are tucked away in the shade (which they prefer) they get attacked from lurking slugs.
Hi Jan,
There seems to be very little those pesky raccoons don't attack. I used to have goldfish, but living near the river Thames, I used to get Herons coming over early in the morning for 'Breakfast'. All garden ponds around here with fish, have wire mesh over them. I gave up on fish, as I thought the wire spoilt the look of the ponds.
Cheers all......Bernard
icky, icky, icky, I am terrified of frogs and toads.......I had a close encounter with some when I was a child in Britain........
ReplyDeleteGill in Canada
We have lots of frogs, toads and newts in the garden but I can't say I do anything to help individual ones. They very often get in the house, then I do help them by carrying them outside. Poor little things, they go all dry and the floor fluff sticks to their little feet and faces.
ReplyDelete