.
I have spent the best part of five weeks painting the scrolls on the organ front.
They have been in their white 'undercoat' now since April 2009. See here.
.
.
The reason for the delay was that I just couldn't decide on what colours to finish them with.
There are so many combinations - some bright and very fairground, others more subdued.
I drew the shapes out on cards and tried dozens of combinations.
Here are just a few of my attempts.
Some were too dark, some too light.
I got there eventually and then started on the organ front.
It needed a VERY steady hand. One slip and the paint went on the pale background.
I couldn't use masking tape as there were no straight lines, so everything was done free-hand.
And to make things worse, they needed two or three coats to get a good finish.
So here is a picture of the finished thing
and a close-up of the cherubs at the centre top.
I did cheat and buy the moulded cherubs - but painted them myself in the colours to match the scrolls.
I may add some gold lining to the scrolls later. I shall have to experiment on card as before in case I spoil the real thing!
.
April 2011 ?
.
An after-thought.......I forgot to screw the Lady Bell-ringers
.
.
on.
That looks better!
.

Oh that looks absolutely wonderful Uncle B. You are very artistic. I love the little cherubs, you painted them very delicately, I have one who looks like he's been on the booze, his cheeks have been painted so bright red!
ReplyDeleteI think the fawn and dusky pink go beautifully together, well done, you must be delighted with it, it was worth the hard work and steady hand.
Good morning Uncle B..you can play it and paint it!!...what a great job you have done there...it even matches your blogcolors...lol...seriously...it must have bin a secure work...but its a job well done...please pat yourself on the shoulder from me..it looks super!!
ReplyDeletegreetings and a fine weekend( looking like Autumn here again)...Francien.
Excellent work, I love the colour shading. You chose well 'cause the organ looks a real picture.
ReplyDeleteKath:
ReplyDeleteIf you click on that cherub, you will see all my brush-marks and mistakes! :o
Thanks for being kind about my artwork.:D Actually, the names of the colours I used were called "Venetian Rose" and "Sandalwood" and it took many tries to get a good 'balance'. :)
Francien: Bedankt.
Do you know - I never noticed it matched the blog layout colours. So it does.
I must have a thing about "Dusky Pinks". :)
I am glad you like it as you must see many of the larger and very colourful organs on the streets of Holland.
Thank you Valerie,
I am pleased with the (almost) final result.
I forgot to screw the figures in place this morning, so I have put up another photo at the end of the post.
An Organ Grinders work is never done!
All the more lovelier Sir...with the bellringers on...you could win any contest with your lovely organ anytime...some of the big organs here look like they got never painted after their first coat..its a shame...
ReplyDeletegreetings Francien.
Wow! Your paintwork is just perfect. You have such patience carry on with the project.
ReplyDeleteI am just imagining the gold highlights if you decide to go ahead with them :-)
Goedemorgen Francien,
ReplyDeleteI am saddened to hear that about the Street-Organs. I can only assume that it would be very expensive to have the whole front repainted.
The big organs here in England are well looked after but only play at rallies and not in the street. Just off to rally this morning actually.
Cheers.....Bernard.
Thank you Cherie.
My old Dad used to say "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well." This is why my projects always take ages to finish. If something is not quite as I want it, I scrap it and start again.
Cheers......Bernard.
absolutely beautiful! x x x
ReplyDeleteI agree with all.
ReplyDeleteit is fantastic and looks beautiful.
What a fantastic job you've done. That hand of your is steadier than mine. The whole thing is very beautiful. Are you getting ready for a special occasion?
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Amy, Annette, Helen.
ReplyDeleteThank you all. I am very pleased with it.
All I need to do now, is to make sure it is in tune!
Cheers.....Bernard
You did a marvellous job, Sir. Now I just wish I could listen to you. I've never seen an organ grinder in Toronto. I'll go to your other blog to hear the music.
ReplyDeleteThank you Claudia.
ReplyDeleteI have tried recording myself using my digital camera. The pictures are OK but the sound is not very good. The organ sounds good but the playback is not very good quality.
There are lots of clips of organ music on older posts.
Cheers.....Bernard
PS I shall search for a Canadian grinder. :)
There are lots in USA of course.
It's very eyecatching and looks so clean and fresh. It must have taken a-a-a-a-g-g-g-g-e-e--s-s-s-s-s!
ReplyDeleteBeing retired FoodY, I have loads of time for things like this. It took me about five weeks to paint all the scroll work. Waiting for the paint to dry between coats was the worst! :(
ReplyDeleteCheers.........Bernard.