I have just arranged a rattling good traditional tune called 'The Country Carrier' which was sung with great gusto years ago by a group called the Yetties. They have webpage and are still singing so I expect it is still in their program.
Way back in times past, one person who played an important part in the lives of English villagers, was the 'carrier'. They would roam the countryside providing all those extra items that could not be bought in the village....they were a bit like a travelling ironmonger.
Years ago, when I went to Folk clubs, most people used to sing..."a rattling old grey mare" but the correct words are "bay mare". I'm afraid I am no expert on four legged transport?
The Country Carrier
I am a country carrier, a jovial soul am I;
I whistle and sing from morn till night and troubles I defy;
I've one to keep me company, of work she does her share,
She's not me wife, but upon me life, she's a rattling old bay mare.
It's up and down the countryside me mare and I do go.
The folks they kindly greet us, as we journey to and fro;
The children they all cheer and the old ones stop and stare.
They lift their eyes with great suprise, to Joe and his old bay mare.

No comments:
Post a Comment