.
“By the way, could someone from across the ocean tell me when I'm supposed to use these terms? Great Britain, England, British, English. In my mind Great Britain is everything on your island and England excludes Scotland and maybe other areas? Mostly I just avoid the terms, though, because I'm not sure how to use them properly.”
.

.
Britain comprises Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Great Britain comprises England, Scotland and Wales.
Britain’s full title is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
(Although the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not part of the United Kingdom of GB &NI, they have a special relationship with it.)
In 1973 Britain joined the European Union.
The EU then went on to carve Britain up into Regions. There was Scotland and Wales for a starter, but the remainder (England) was too large a region so it was carved up into smaller regions, for example we have a South West Regional Development Agency.
England is no longer on their map.
It was Jack Straw who is on record as saying “The English are not worth saving as a race”.
The English were slightly miffed to put it mildly.
Thus there is now a marked rise in the number people who, without a second thought, would once have called themselves British, but now refer to themselves as English.
I for one!
Over the last ten years or so, amongst commentators, academics and the media, deconstructing 'Englishness' became the order of the day, in a way which would not be tolerated by the Scots, say, or the Welsh, who have instead been encouraged at every turn to re-affirm their sense of identity.
This negative onslaught is the background to the new-found celebration of England.
The new celebration of England and Englishness will be more visible from now on simply because, in the minds of millions of us, it needs to be.
I am firstly English and secondly British.
I am not a European.
Europe is part of a Tectonic plate, it is a Continent not a Country, it is an insult to all Nations with a language, a history, a culture, and an identity.
.

.
Foody, April last year left me this interesting comment.
“Many foreigners think that England is the whole of Britain and they think Scotland and Wales are parts of England. They usually assume you're English if you say "British". Imagine how irritating that might get. Even people on the telly and radio talk of England when they mean Britain and vice versa. You notice these things if you start to look out for them. When people on the media don't appear to know basic facts and geography it's a bit bad. I suppose the more the smaller nations hear these things the more annoying it gets so the more they have feel the need to assert themselves over the years.
It kind of gets me when I hear people talk of 'British law'. There is no such thing. Even the BBC do this. There's the law of England and Wales and there's Scots law. They talk of 'UK law' too and again there's no such thing but it has come to be used to refer to the laws of the UK as opposed to those that Brussels imposes on the UK."

I remain constantly irritated at forms to complete that asks me whether I am white British (and all the other choices) but always omits that magic question....White English?
ReplyDeleteI don't have any issues with the Irish or the Scots (excepting Brown) or the Welsh at all. They have the availability on forms to state whether or not they are Irish, or Scottish or Welsh but the English have to call themselves British.....which means I am classified as Irish and Scottish and Welsh.
Great post Uncle! Now off to put on my French rugby shirt and get all ready for todays match, heh.
Good post Bernard.
ReplyDeleteOn official documents eg, passports, I'm British (though I'm really Scottish, but I don't mind being British). I'm patriotic to my home country, as hopefully you are to yours.
I enjoy the harmless 'banter' which has built up between us over the years and I respect other countries within the UK and the difference and affinity we have with one another [possibly with the exception of sports which should be banned altogether (hehehe)]. xx
Thank you so much for the clarification, Uncle B. I had no idea how complex the issue was. I'm going to cut and paste your blog today into a document that I can keep and refer to when I need it. We get no news about the EU and its effects over here, the "news" people are too busy keeping track of Britney Spears. But if your own news people are confused, that makes it even worse.
ReplyDeleteThanks Bernard.I've always taken my country folk to task on some of these points knowing how important they are for you all.
ReplyDeleteMy passport also used to say British, despite the fact I am proudly Australian, born and raised here.Better stop there or we'll get into the Republic/monarchy thing so impolite on someonelse's blog.
DD: Just a little clarification for Jan.
ReplyDeleteI haven't had to fill in a form for years now. I tend to leave all boxes blank if I don't think they need to know. I gather the Census form next year is 32 pages long! Now that is going to be very controversial.
Hi Mrs S. I am quite happy to go along with things Scottish and Welsh....but not to the exclusion of the English. We have BBC Scotland, BBC Wales, but NO BBC England. Just plain wrong. Do you not like sport or do you not like countries competing with each other?
Actually having games between 'countries' is a bit daft, as nowadays hardly any team members seem to have been born in that country anyway.
Hi Jan, I'm glad that cleared things up. The EU thing is a bit sinister and underhand I think. It is certainly not democratic. I mean you vote out your president if the people don't want him, but NONE of us here can remove the EU president. Like the commissioners, he was joint 'appointed'. It's scarey.
Hi Liz: You are right. Let's not get too political.....keep it all nice and friendly.
I don't agree that Britain's full title is the UK of GB and NI. That's the UK's title, surely. GB is E, W and Scotland. UK is E, W, S AND NI.
ReplyDeleteI think that the BBC nothing is BBC England but it's historical and dates from when it assumed it was BBC GB but just wasn't.
Oooh, I've just seen that I have been quoted. Well I can add a bit to that. The law of E and W is all the same and it's all called English Law. Hee hee!
A friend of mine insists she was Welsh, not British. I have news for her...
This is a great post :-)
ReplyDeleteLike you I avoid filling in those nonsense forms until someone stands over me and forces me to.
When is banter nor banter? Well said, Uncle. "KEEP IT FRIENDLY".
ReplyDeleteThank you all for all of this information. It's much more clear to me now. Like my cousin, Jan, I will save it and refer to it when I forget the distinctions.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Much better that what my Canadian History book taught me. I'm very grateful and will also print your article for my sons. As a Québec French Canadian, I married a very Dublin Irish-Liverpool British. My sons, born in English Canada, have a bit of a mixed up background. I tell them, it makes their life more interesting. Cheers!
ReplyDeleteFoody: I may have to disagree there, unless my Book of Britain is in error.
ReplyDeleteI didn’t get it from the web. I’ll look into it but I think we may be saying the same thing in the end.
“English Law”…..I like it. The only BAD news is, I expect eu law takes president?
Cherie: It makes me cross when everyone wants your phone number and e-mail address. To avoid any ill feeling I have given up refusing sometimes and just give a wrong one. Actually I was on the BBC site ordering a CD and they wanted my phone No. It kept saying “this field must be filled”…..I entered a number “1”….it was accepted and my order went through!
I leave all the arguments Foody, to the political blogs….rough places.
Hi Nancy, nice of you to drop in. Glad I’ve been able to help. Foody thinks it is not quite right but I think it is…..ah well, It’s near enough.
Claudia: As I have said to the others….I think what I posted is correct. I will however check other sources. As you say it makes life interesting. Of course what your passport says, is not necessarily what you truly are.