.

.
Fourteen years ago, this little fellow came to join me here.
Today is Wesley's birthday. He is Fourteen.
He came with his twin sister, Lizzie, who sadly died a couple of years ago.
I can remember having trouble in thinking up names for them. At that time the BBC had put up a new series of Pride & Prejudice and I had thought of calling them "Lizzy & Darcy", but I was not too keen on the name "Darcy" or even "Mr Darcy".
Another popular TV series at the time was "Last of the Summer Wine", so I thought. how about "Nora and Compo"?
No, he didn't look like a Compo and she was too beautiful to be a Nora.
So, after many weeks in fact, I settled on "Lizzie", from P&P and "Wesley" after Wesley Pegdon from LOTSW.
.jpg)
.
.jpg)
.
Over the years, poor old Wesley has put me back well over £1000 in vet bills, unlike any other cat I've had, who have cost me virtually nothing. First of all he got shot by an airgun (and still to this day has the pellet inside him, the vet thought it best left).
He has been in fights, had several abscesses, been three times in Hospital with UTI (overnight stays in five-star accommodation) .....but apart from that ....no trouble at all.
The above pic. shows how he likes to sprawl out on my music production area - where if I'm lucky, I can draw out all the notes on the back of the music rolls.

But as it is his Birthday he deserves a treat and I managed to get a bit of frying steak (reduced I might add) yesterday in Sainsbury's.
.
.
OK Where's my steak?
I get this every time I come home with the shopping.....he has to investigate every bag!
.
This is bound to upset my brother.....he hates cats!
Sorry Adrian.
.

What a lovely post, I never get tired of hearing about peoples animals. Happy Birthday Wesley! hugs from Aunty Kath
ReplyDeleteMaybe Adrian would have been a good name for Wesley. Psychologically your brother may have come to love him, Bernard - might even have helped you with all those hospital bills! I love hearing how pets get their names and the history behind them.
ReplyDeleteI always envisaged that if I had a dog I would call it Deefer - as in 'D' for dog, but never got around to finding a name for a wee kitty-cat.
Happy Birthday to Wesley xx
That kitten pic is SOOOO CUUUUTE!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat is UTI?
My Ludo also likes to climb into every bag or box that is around.
'Wesley' sounds very distinguished.
Many Happy Returns, Wesley!
Happy birthday, Wesley. My old cat loved boxes and bags ... she often went to sleep in a paper bag. An old neighbour had a cat the same colour as Wesley ... she called it Marmalade, which sounded really odd when she called the cat in late at night.
ReplyDeleteIs that a bag of crisps in the bag nearer the camera? Like your crisps do you, Unc?
ReplyDeleteAnd what's in the blue wrapper iin the other bag? Chocs? Bics?
It's not just cat day, it's orange cat day. Wesley's baby picture is awfully cute. How could anyone not love him?
ReplyDeleteHey Val, you gotta feel sorry for us shouting Roobarb, Roobarb!
ReplyDeleteFoody, they aren't uncles goodies, they're for Wesley's birthday tea!
Good evening Wesley!! happy birthday to you and many more healthy years to come...good evening Uncle B..what a great cat....we have the same haircolor...that creates a bond at once...he looks very handsome!!and is a trooper as well...
ReplyDeleteI had a lovely cat many years back when the boys were small...he was called Chocolate..because he had so many spots in his furr in all colors of chocolate ( the boys had to pick the name) and i know why they choose that name now..because if i called out to the cat the boys would come running to the kitchen too for their chocolate as well only they did not meant the cat.....
I hope you will enjoy eachothers compagnie for many more good years to come...
greetings Francien.
Hey Kath... it crossed my mind... grins
ReplyDeleteTalking names, when I got my Labrador I was of a mind to call her Tosca. Thats until my horrified friends all told me that shouting Tosca on a crowded beach would lead to many people mishearing me and thinking I was shouting "Tosser"
ReplyDeleteSo she was named Meg.
What amazed me this morning is how popular Wesley is!
ReplyDeleteWhat an impressive list of comments. Thank you…
…or is it the fact that it is about cats?
…or as Auntie Kath says, “about animals”?
Hi Mrs S.
‘Adrian the Cat’ sounds a bit like a children’s story book don’t you think?
I think names for animals have to be short, one or two syllables. ‘Kay’ would be OK for a kitten perhaps?
Morning Foody: It’s Urinary Tract Infection…..it means he can’t have a wee.
And now we know your cat’s name but not yours! ’Ludo’..I like it.
Hi Valerie.
It’s funny how they like boxes. You would be surprised how many photos I have of cats in strange places. I have found that if I drop a sheet of paper when I am loading my printer…… a cat will come over and sit on it.
Foody is peeping into my shopping…. I will show you later. It’s not exciting.
Hi Jan: I was going to say “Good Morning Jan” but is probably evening as you read this. Not everyone loved little Wes. They shot him with an air gun. He was saved by his shoulder blade as the X-ray showed. One of his nine lives?
Hello Auntie Kath. That was MY dinner and Wesley’s treats in there.
Thank you Francien, I passed on your good wishes to Wesley.
I have never come across a cat called Chocolate, but I have heard of dogs having that name.
Morning DD.
I like Tosca. It’s a good name.
There must be joke here somewhere……how about “Mega bite”?
Thank you all for dropping in.
The most unusual cat name I came across was one called “Rover”.
I have also just heard that in the new film of “The Dam Busters”, Guy Gibson’s black Labrador is to be re-named “Trigger”.
Cheers....Unc. B.
Litttle by little, unc. It was Ludo or Lino. Lino because he's stripy. Ludo won. It had a better ring or something. He was so playful you see, and has lived up to the name.
ReplyDeleteI think the post appealed to me because it was about CATS.
So goodies for Wesley, Kath? Monster Munch for Wesley? Ludo would eat them. He loves nibbles of all flavours, as does hs owner. I only allow him them at Christmas, and that is about one tiny piece of each crisp and nut because they can't be good for him.
I have just noticed that the Monster Munch were Pickled Onion flavoured.....how would Ludo like those?
ReplyDeleteI agree the cats shouldn't have too many salty tit-bits.
My post on Saturday is also on cats.