.
Valerie though that I may have been a wee bit harsh in calling Birmingham an unattractive city. Of course this is not a fact, it is a personal opinion.
Birmingham does not attract me to it.
It may attract many people like shoppers, but I could never imagine it becoming a tourist attraction.
This is not to say that I have always felt this way. Birmingham has certainly served this country well. Many famous and important people have been born, lived and worked there. In Victorian days it was known as the ‘Workshop of the World’, with very many famous manufactures being based there.
To me as a child, going to ‘town’ was an exciting adventure.
With Dad away fighting the war, my mother and I lived at my grandparents in Linden Road. From here we would walk up to Cotteridge to catch the tram into town. Much to my grandmothers despair, I always wanted to go upstairs on the tram and sit at the front. As going out was a treat, I usually got my way. Cotteridge was the terminus for the trams, right on the outskirts of Birmingham, right alongside the Warwickshire countryside. The ride into ’town’ probably took a good half hour.
.

.
The one place in Birmingham I remember most was the old Market Hall and Bull Ring. Here is an old picture of the Bull Ring and on the left is the Market Hall complete with its roof. The hall is the one on the left with the large columns.
.

.
The roof was later to be blown off thanks to one of the Luftwaffe's bombs. Now one of these bombs, unexploded of course, had been placed at the top of the Market Hall steps, just outside the entrance. A slit had been cut in the top and the bomb was used to collect money for, I assume, the War effort.
Well it was a big bomb, must have been 18” in diameter, and as a little boy I remember being lifted up to sit astride it and drop a penny into the slot.
Even though it had no roof, the old hall continued to house market stalls and in those days they were of an amazing variety. Apart from the usual traders there was a pet shop selling cats, dogs, rabbits and white mice. There was a music stall where my Mother would have bought her music (she was a violinist - but that is another tale for later).
.
.
At the east end was another set of steps down with brass banisters running down to the Bull Ring. Again I was picked up and slid down the rail with Mom holding on!
.

.
The 'Bull Ring' as I remember it.
The open Bull Ring market was mainly fruit and veg but I do remember a stall selling live baby chicks. After the war, with all the food shortages, many people kept chickens or rabbits in the back gardens. The chicks were put into little cardboard boxes with tiny holes in the sides ready for the homeward ride to Cotteridge on the tram.
Around 1962 the old hall was demolished and a new ‘Bull Ring Centre’ was built. For some reason it was known as ’The Big Top’.
I managed to get a few photos on my old box camera before is disappeared for ever.
.

.
Not really attractive any more.
But just think of the memories it held of my younger days.
.

.
The ’New’ Bull Ring centre was again demolished to make way for the present Centre, which I have to admit I have yet to see. Cherry Pie tells me it is 'attractive' now.

I always wondered what the 'Bullring' was U/Bernard - and thanks to you, I now know. I'd like to see Birmingham, so that I can come home with an opinion - good or bad. If I visit I'll let you know...maybe this year.
ReplyDeleteI think John Peel summed it up best when he said thathaving taken drugs once, he wouldn't repeat the act as it is much like visiting Coventry; once you have been you don't goback again. Having never been to Coventry I couldn't comment but Birmingham, which I have visited, seemed alright but not like London of Edinburgh, the sort of place you would revisit again and again.
ReplyDeleteHusband and I went to a Christmas "do" there a few years back. I honestly cannot remember a thing about the city. Maybe that is telling in itself?
ReplyDeleteThanks for showing me how it used to look, it doesn't look like that now. :-)
ReplyDeleteAs you said though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The proprietor of the little cabin where I stayed in the Hill Country in Texas last night went to the post office this morning and came back with a cardboard box full of baby chicks. Not much has changed in shipping chicks, evidently.
ReplyDeleteGood Morning all, we had better make the most of the sunshine - rain is forcast for the weekend.
ReplyDeleteMrs S:
The “Bull Ring” now is just the name of a huge shopping centre. As I have not been there I can’t give it the thumbs up or the thumbs down. Birmingham is a city after all and what there is there now, for visitors, I have no idea. I suppose one of these “Weekend Away” deals might be the answer.
Hi CJ:
I too haven’t visited Coventry in many a year. Of course during the war very many large towns and cities lost their interesting buildings and were replaced by ‘look-a-like’ modern structures. I liked Edinburgh, it had character, like Oxford.
Today I avoid all large cities and towns, much preferring the countryside and it’s modest towns and beautiful villages.
Hi Kath:
A Christmas “do”.
In Birmingham they are known as "Winterval" do's!!!
Perhaps you had a little too much lemonade and slept through the party?
Cherie:
Glad you enjoyed it. I had you in mind when I penned this. I could have gone on writing about those early days for ages, but it’s best to keep these posts of a moderate size, don’t you think?
Jan:
Well I never!
Still shipping chicks in little boxes.
I would have thought the animal wellfare people may have objected?
But perhaps it is OK if the chicks are happy. “Handle with Care”.
Cheers all.......Bernard
I can't say I like the place much. It's just faaaaar tooooo big. I ony go when I have a coure to attend and that usually involves a train to New Street then walking to some hotel. I like the walk through the pedestrianised New Street and seeing the flower stalls and that big town hall or art gallery bit but the area is terribly lacking in signposts. There are so many entrances to New Street station that you just don't know here you are.
ReplyDeleteYour pic of the Bull Rng as you remember it does actually look very attractive. Progress in cities is usually regress.
I hate seeing sprawl and I hate the old-and-new juxtapositions. I hate going to London for the same reasons. (Now I didn't say I hate either place; I hate going there. But in my personal opinion I don't find them attractive. I like small, pretty and rural. :) :) :). Personal opinion and I'll be in the minority I know).
I used to go to the Birmingham Proms in that big Town Hall. It is really nice inside and has an excellent pipe organ.
ReplyDeleteI am amazed to hear that you have to go to 'Brum' for your courses. Not cookery courses, I'm sure :) .
I'm with you all the way.....on small, rural and pretty. We will happily remain in the minority of two!