Tuesday, 23 March 2010

Goodbye to Robertson's Marmalade.

.
I once had a friend who's cat was called Marmalade - a ginger Tom no doubt.
I also have a record somewhere of some vintage jazz with a tune called 'Clarinet Marmalade'.
I found a 1920's recording here. Far too complicated for the Street Organ, but I do have an excellent tune called the 'Clarinet Polka' and I have popped up Bob playing the roll on his 26 note. He has taken the front off for all to see the 'works'!

But back to Marmalade.
A story goes that marmalade was invented in 1700, when a storm-damaged Spanish ship, carrying Seville oranges, sought refuge in Dundee harbour. The cargo was sold off cheaply to James Keiller, a down-on-his-luck local merchant, whose wife turned it into a preserve.
.
.
And now after 300 years, I read that marmalade may soon be history itself.
It appears that it is gradually vanishing from the nation's breakfast tables – along with, maybe, the breakfast tables themselves!
But not in my kitchen! I have both a ’breakfast’ table, (how posh - mine’s a kitchen table) and a jar of marmalade. The latter coming from the market in Thame. Home made by the WI - although they now call themselves ’Country Markets’.
.
.
This jar of Grapefruit marmalade was made in a lady's kitchen at ‘Brambles’ Cottage in Haddenham, (not far from Kath I guess), whereas this old photo below shows a somewhat larger WI production line.
.
.
History shows, that there is good evidence, that orange marmalade was made in England from Tudor times. A certain English lady, Mrs Hasell-McCosh has in her possession a record book compiled by an ancestor in the early 17th century which contains recipes for orange marmalade.
"The Scots can't claim this one," she says. "We are the home of marmalade."
It sounds to me however, that her ancestor may have come from north of the border with that early recipe?
What can be said with some certainty, however, is that the Keillers of Dundee were the first to establish a marmalade factory, and to put the spread on the mass market to which it now struggles to cling.
For years, the big marmalade manufacturers have been trying to spiff up its image – introducing new flavours, and even, repackaging it as "orange jam".
Labels have been jazzed up and plastered with extravagant health claims. The blameless Robertson's golliwog, who served for almost a century as the emblem of the nation's biggest marmalade firm, was removed after complaints from anti-racism campaigners.
Well they haven’t confiscated my collection yet!
These are still in my Mothers old cookbook along with vintage Certo labels.
.
.
As children we used to collect these gollies from each jar and when you had a set or certain number, you could send them back to Robertson's and get a badge.
I still have one of these on my ’Grinder’s waistcoat’.
.
.
So successful was this accommodation of PC zealotry that last year Robertson's ceased to exist as a brand, being quietly replaced by Hartley's.

Amen.
.

16 comments:

  1. Well!!!Another tradition down the gurgler!In my kitchen, marmalade is much revered.I'm lucky enough to belong to a barter group, so have access to some fine marmalade makers and also a relative who prides herself on her lime marmalade..of course it is not like Roses which is a particular favourite...please, please don't tell me that will cease to exist also!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very interesting Unc. I have just bought some lime marmalade, but my favourite is 3 fruit marmalade, brewed by my dog-walking pal Barry. Alas, I always aspired to own a Golly badge, but my Mum always bought the Supermarket own brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to collect those tokens, and badges, when I was a child.. Sadly I didn't realise that Robertson's was no longer trading... another great british traditional goodie sidelined by political correctness... though I love the Roses Lime marmalade when I can find it, which isn't often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sad there is no longer Robinson's. I hadn't heard.
    I too like these country markets and the things they sell.

    Ahhhh... you rightly haven't come to conclusions about a person's nationality based on where they live. Maybe she was Irish this Mrs. McCosh.

    I remember the gollies.

    Well there's one waistcoat there with lots of badges - the third one up - so is that you?
    Sorry about my ignorance about the organ. It's 26-note you see and that's what threw me. I used to think those 26 notes were represented by keys on a keyboard, somewhere round the back or inside (even with the roll inside). I originally imagined a keyboard somewhere but only last week I questioned - do keys go up and down when it is wound? Now I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do citrus trees grow in England? I thought it might be too chilly there, I even have some trouble with them here in Northern California.

    I have a Gollie, too. That's the name of one of my cats, though her namesake is the Gollum of Lord of the Rings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Mum and Dad NEVER sit down to breakfast without homemade comquat marmalade on the table. At 88 they still make a big batch every year to last them till next comquat season. We always had homemade jam - usually the family specialty Cape Gooseberry- but as kids we wanted store bought stuff like all the other kids had.
    Times have changed so much and there's not too many people who make home made jam any more.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooooh - I remember the Robertson's Golliwogs Bernard - I had my badge too - or did I have more than one? The tuneful advert was ... "Look for the Golly... the Golly on the Jar". It was ditched by Robertsons in 2001 after 91 years faithful service and was replaced by drawings from Roald Dahl stories.

    Dundee, where James Keiller's factory was based, was famous for jute, jam and journalism. Jute weaving made many local Dundonians millionaires, and when the jute mills went into steady decline in the 1870's many local people moved to Calcutta to work in their jute mills. However, I digress... I've never acquired a taste for marmalade though I love jam. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have a kitchen table and marmalade. I like the less sugary kind and if it is endangered I shall make that as my present of choice for everyone this year :-)

    I do remember the Gollies we collected the vouchers and collected a little miniature golly orchestra. I am not sure where they got too...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good Morning or Good Evening;
    (depending on which bit of this ‘Small World’ you live).

    Von:
    I don’t think Marmalade will disappear. It just happens that no-one stops to make breakfast before rushing off to work. A bowl of Cornflakes or this Muesli stuff is all they seem to manage. Lime Marmalade is one of my favourites and is still available in Sainsbury’s.

    Kath:
    Three in favour of Lime.
    I don’t know about you, but I prefer ‘chunky’ marmalade. The one with the large bits in. I shall keep my ‘eye open’ for a Golly badge for you. You still see them around.
    There is Golly web site - all about the history and they may sell them. (can’t remember). I can look it up for anyone interested.

    Hi Sage:
    Another lover of Lime Marmalade. Well I can’t see that dying out! It’s everyone’s favourite. If I remember loads of children collected badges and things. We were always doing swaps in the playground in order to get full sets.

    Foody:
    I only found out from the ‘food section’ in the Daily Telegraph. I never noticed it missing on the ‘Jam shelves’ in shops. When something disappears I just assume they no longer stock it.
    The third one up?
    I’m not saying it is ……and I’m not saying it isn’t! :)
    Some organs are referred to as a “112 key Organ”, or whatever.
    These are not keys as on a keyboard, but refer to the number of ‘pins or keys’ which drop into the holes on the card as it passes over the ‘key frame’. Some organs are ’keyless’, like mine. There are no ’pins or keys’ - the air goes down a hole in the paper roll and into the tracker-bar and then on to blow the pipes.

    Hi Jan:
    People grow Lemon trees in pots in their conservatories, but that is all. They do fruit indoors. None grow outside.
    When you visit a old ’Stately Home’ in England, you will find some of them had large heated conservatories called an ’Orangery’.
    The plants were in pots on little wheels and were wheeled out in the Summer and brought back in for the Winter.
    I knew of your cat called Gollie, but had no idea her name came from Gollum. I’m sure she is much better looking than Smeagol. How did she get a name like that?

    Helen:
    Very true. My Gran made loads of different marmalades, and as you say it would last the whole year through. She would buy sugar every week and save it up for the marmalade season in February and the jam making in the summer. She had a large cupboard under the stairs - full of bags of sugar. (1940's - 50's)

    Hi Mrs S:
    I do hope I got all this history correct.
    I have never been to Dundee, and I had not heard about ‘Jute & Journalism’ only the Jam, AND of course …..another of my favourites….Dundee Cake!

    CherryPie:
    I guessed you might be a traditional lover of Marmalade. :)
    I’m sure it won’t really disappear. There are dozens of small firms making speciality Jams, Conserves and Marmalades. You see a huge variety at markets and food festivals. I think the National Trust even sell it?
    Now I do have a Golly Orchestra. More a small group actually - there are only six players.
    They are not the Robertson’s figures though. I saw a set of those in an antique shop for £50 the other day!
    We should have saved ours!

    Thanks all......have a nice day.
    Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rescued Gollie. She was a feral kitten about half the size of her siblings. The vet thought she might be a dwarf, but she just had a bad case of parasites (though she's still half the size of the other cats). She has never tamed very well, she still slinks around the house like Smeagol through the caves of Middle Earth, with big eyes and her thin little body. Also she's mean as snot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not being a jam or jelly person I never knew there were other types of marmalade than Orange, which I don't like. My mom used to eat orange marmalade on saltine crackers. Kind of yuk! However, we do have a lovely casual restaurant around here named "Marmalade." We go there all the time. I wonder if they even have marmalade in their kitchen; probably not!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I should stock up on the Robertson's Marmalade now?
    And here was I thinking that maybe marmalade - in varying flavours - was making a small comeback. There seems to be more varieties on the shelves of certain stores.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good evening Uncle B...
    I still make my own marmelade...strawberry and cherry...i make a lot at ones because its a very messy job..well..in my kitchen it is..and there is marmelade everywere...even my bulldog is "gone"when she hears the glaspots coming out...but i make it up her by beaking my own bread at the same time and she gets the first slice...somethimes the machine beaks it...or...like i prefer by hand...but my fingers are a bit poorly..i have a light arthritis in them so the kneading is not going that well anymore..but a slice of fresh baked bread or toast and homemade marmelade mkes up for that too...love it..
    greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jan:
    What a nice tale. I believe it is very difficult to get feral cats to adapt. You have done well. I am a bit sad….because Gollum was a nasty piece of work and I’m sure Gollie really doesn’t look anything like him. :)

    Myrna:
    There appear to be loads of different types of marmalades. The original marmalade was a Quince Jelly. The word marmalade comes from the Portuguese word for Quince - ‘Marmelo’. The picture I put up was grapefruit but it can be any citrus fruit, and even a mixture of two of three is common here.

    Hi VioletSky:
    I’m afraid you are too late to get Robertson’s unless it is old stock. They have changed the name to Hartley’s. As I said earlier, there are loads of small businesses making jams and marmalades on a small scale and I wouldn’t mind betting the quality is much better than those from the ‘big boys’.

    Good Morning Francien:
    I’m afraid I’m in bed when you write too me. Zzzzzz.... :)
    I read all my lovely comments in the mornings.

    So pleased to hear you make your own. You are right everything gets very sticky. I have never made it myself but used to help my Mother cutting up the peel.
    Now, I make my own bread. I cheat...I have a bread maker. If you have trouble kneading the dough, why not think about a bread maker? They are very good now days and clean to use. Just one container to wash.

    Thank you all for these interesting comments.
    I often find that your comments are a lot more interesting than my original post. Thanks.
    I didn't realise that Marmalade was that popular.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Uncle B...i meant by "somethimes the machine beaks it"...my lovely white breadmaker...just put the readymix for dark bread in it and a little water and after 3 hours...there it is..as you know...and i must confess..i use that almost every time now...but i like to have a very big bread somethimes with lots of ingredients in it and bake that in the oven then..and that one have to knead for a long time...off to your new post now...greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Francien:
    Now I understand. Sorry I misunderstood you.
    All clear now
    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete