Sunday, 7 March 2010

Have a nice Sunday.

.
Sundays, when I was young, would be a day for ‘going out’. A day in the country or a day visiting Aunts and Uncles. A day for washing behind your ears (little boys hated washing necks and ears) and putting your best clothes on - the Sunday Best.
Dad must have bought his first car around 1947 or there-abouts, so these drives out on Sundays would have continued until I left home in 1962.
All my working life, weekends have been..... Saturday -shopping, Sunday - a day out (or a day in the garden if you were hard up).
The strange thing is - all these years on and now retired - and being able to go out on any day of the week, it is hard to get out of the habit of ’getting changed’ and ’going out’ on a Sunday.

Last Sunday found me behind Great Missenden church with the snowdrops, just one of many places I visit. Looking back through my ’pictures folder’ I found dozens of photos that I hadn't published.
So today I thought I may post up a few of the places from last years Sunday outings.





Sunday always seems to be
The day my thought go flying free
And times gone by return to me,
From yesterday

.
.
The river Misbourne at Amersham.




A Sunday bell’s a timeless knell
That chiming casts a magic spell
And ringing has a tale to tell,
From yesterday.

.
.
The Church at Remenham, near Henley.




A Sunday street’s a bygone street
That echoes someone else’s feet
And other voices soft and sweet,
From yesterday.

.
.
A quiet moment at Turville.




A Sunday rest is gently blest
With memories that come unpressed
To fill the mind with all that’s best,
From yesterday.

.
.
"Tuppence" at Henley on Thames.




Sunday is the day I find
That speaks of times I left behind
Yet linger fondly in my mind,
From yesterday.

.
.
The Abbey Gate at Dorchester on Thames.
.

All the pictures should enlarge with a left mouse click.
Have a nice Sunday.
.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos Unc. We do live in a lovely part of the world, don't we? Like you, we used to go visiting, but my favourite day, would be going for a drive in the country. having grown up in the town, I always promised myself I would live in the country one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another first rate post from Uncle B, full of atmospehere, great pics and apt words. Glad you still "dress up and go out". Sunday has become too much like any other day, which to me us a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely views :-) I can see I need to get back into that habit of out and about on Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post, I feel so relaxed and ready for crumpets and honey with a nice pot of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it is sooo lovely when you take me round to show me all these beautiful places. It truely is delightful where you live. I've come home from the beach to tour the Chiltens with Kath and go on Sunday outings with you.
    I love blogging!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning all:

    Thanks Kath, it was strange us both doing a bit on the Chilterns at the same time.
    I took loads of pictures last year but I never like to put too many on the post at the same time. I hope I’ve picked out a few good ones.

    Foody, You are very kind about my photography. Thank you. Of course I didn’t write the words but I thought they fitted the pictures. ‘Dress up’ actually means getting out of my comfy ‘around the house clothes’ and getting smart.

    Cherie: You seem to me to always out and about. You certainly visit many places and give us some great information. I can’t imagine that you’re the type of person to stay in bed on Sunday mornings?

    Von: Now I have never tried crumpets with honey. I like mine with butter and Marmite!

    Hi Helen: I live in the Chilterns too and all of those pictures are within twenty miles from here. Dorchester is a bit further out in Oxfordshire.

    Cheers...... Bernard

    ReplyDelete