Monday, 29 March 2010

Blimey What a Mouth

.
.
“Take Your Finger out of your Mouth, I want a Kiss from You”.

How on earth did anyone dream up a song title like that?

Actually, I have some in my collection even more corny than that, I wonder if publishers were trying to out-do each other in order to boost sales. Notice - this was a “Sensation of 1927” at the seaside in Douglass, Isle of Mann. It has a very good tune and I have arranged it for 26 notes. The only problem is, that when played today, no-one recognises it. However, I like to think that it is my ’mission’ to revive some of these lost tunes.

“What a Mouth! What a mouth! What a ‘North & South’!“

Now here’s a song that I’m sure everyone knows, although some further a-field, may be wondering about the ’North & South’?
.
.
It is of course “Rhyming Slang”. I have never heard anyone ever say “Shut your North”, but ‘north’ means ‘mouth’.
‘Plates’ are ‘feet’… as in “Plates of Meat”.
I know! You must think the English, or to be more accurate, the Cockney’s are completely barmy.

A sample:

“In the morning he would put on his almond rocks, and his Dicky Dirt, and his round the houses, and set off down the frog and toad, until he reached the outskirts of the Bristol.
And people would stare at him, for his Dicky Dirt was torn, his how-d’ye-do’s were full of holes, and his coat was Westminster Abbey. He was also somewhat unclean; being too poor to purchase any Cape of Good Hope, his bushel and peck was extremely Two-thirty. He was truly a pitiful sight - his north and south drooped, his mince pies were watery,
and he had a big red I suppose.”

Now how else can I link a mouth with music, apart from singing?

“Mouth music”

Mouth music was traditionally known as puirt-a-beul (tunes of the mouth).
It is a Gaelic tradition of a cappella song (ie without musical accompaniment) that uses tongue-twisting, meaningless Gaelic words chosen purely for the rhythmical sounds they create.
According to legend, the style originated in Scotland after a 1745 uprising when musical instruments, like bagpipes, were banned.
Mouth music - also known as ‘diddling’ or ‘lilting’ - was sung for entertainment and at work places. A similar rhythmic style can be found in many musical cultures, such as ‘scat’ singing in American jazz.
.
.
Scat Singing?


Hey, I wonder if that is where “Hey Diddle Diddle“ originated?

Almond rocks = socks
Dicky Dirt = shirt
Round the 'ouses = trowsies
Frog and Toad = road
Bristol = city
How-d’ye-do’s = shoes
Westminster Abbey = shabby
Cape of Good Hope = soap
Bushel and peck = neck
Two-thirty = dirty
North and South = mouth
Mince pies = eyes
I suppose = nose
.

6 comments:

  1. What the heck is almond rock anyway (apart froom a sock)? It comes up in a skipping rhyme "Salt, mustard, vinegar, pepper, French almond rock. Bread and butter for your supper, that's all mother's got. Irish stew and coca cola, put them in a pan, something something, something, something, (was it ice cream soda? It rhymed with coca cola - or almost - anyway) we'll eat all we can."

    I love the singing kitten. have we seen it before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Referring to your previous post. They have not got their finger out!!! They are beginning to annoy me!

    Can you see the steam coming out of my ears? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't Almond Rock that sweet that you used to buy at the beach in England - you know it is hard ( rock) and sometimes has a different colour down the centre- sometimes when you break it there is a word spelt in the candy down through the middle?
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Foody:
    As Helen says, it's probably seaside-rock with almond flavouring.
    I have something hidden away in my folders about playground games. (not that I was into skipping as a boy mind you). I'll dig it out.
    Yes I did use that picture 'many moons' ago.
    Good memory still Foody. (even after falling on your head). :o :) :)

    CherryPie: Oh no I don't believe it!
    Sorry I can't see any steam. I can't even get your web page to even open this morning. But then I thought, maybe it's down for maintenance? Keep fingers crossed.

    Morning Helen,
    Yes I expect that is right, although I can never remember an almond flavour. I can only remember peppermint. They used to spell the name of the holiday town as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come to think of it, I think we've seen that photo of the Kipper before (have we?). The one you put on the right last week. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm thinking of the man who looks a bit like you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Foody, that is a repeat.
    I usually prefer to say out of the 'Lime-light', so photo's of me are as "Rare as Hen's Teeth".
    As in my posts, it is quite useful to be able to use an old photo again.

    ReplyDelete