Wednesday, 6 October 2010

Not exactly Regatta Weather.

.
It was not the nicest of days to go to Henley-on-Thames,
but once I had made my plans I stuck with them.
.
.
This is Henley Bridge which features in the painting I did on my Organ front.
The painting however showed blue skies and Edwardian boating parties.
Yesterday was grey and dreary.
Stayed dry though.

.
.
One minute it looked like rain and the next it brightened up a bit.
A lot of boats were moored up, rows and rows in fact.
I didn't know they could stay there all Winter.
I bet it cost them a 'pretty penny' to have a mooring here.


This one below is one of the few remaining Thames 'Steamers'.
Of course, they now, are no longer 'steam' having been converted to diesel.
.
.
Having been here many, many times
it is becoming more difficult to find new things to photograph.
I spotted this unusual weather-vane that I hadn't noticed before.

.
.
Which fitted in nicely with the next picture,
except that there was only one swan.

.
.
Again looking for something unusual,
I noticed this duck with a little 'bobble hat'.
I had never seen a crested duck before - a crested grebe, yes.

.
.
I did wonder if it was just a few loose feathers from a fight, but no,
as a chap standing next to me told me there were several more
like this,down nearer the Bridge.
Perhaps this is a pair?
And the male gets to wear the 'crown'.

And last.....but by no means least.
.
.
A lovely Slipper Launch offered for sale.
Just what I wanted.
Price?

Fifteen Thousands Pounds.
..


13 comments:

  1. Cheap at twice the price Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of your artistic talent! That's a beautiful painting.
    Love the weathervane and the swan - and no, I've never seen a duck with a crown. Maybe it's something in the water...
    That little boat worth that much? Goodness.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Uncle, you will have to find a rich widow to indulge you :D
    It's years since I've been to Henley although I recall watching a film in the Henley regal which was an impressive Art deco cinema. There was a bid by Sainsburys to knock it down and extend the store, whatever happened about that?
    I also remembered I took my driving test there many moons ago :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures you've taken Bernard, especially the swans and the bobble hatted duck. We had an horrendous day here on Sunday with torrential rain all day but today has been wall to wall sunshine. And - the forecast for the weekend promises an Indian Summer so hope you get that weather too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some time in the '90s (perhaps '93 ) a team of rowers from my son's school flew over to compete in the famous Henley Regatta and WON! They came from Brisbane Boys College and were all about 16 or 17 years old. It was a monumental achievement that they have never matched again. Because of that I have often thought I would like to visit Henley. It sounds like it is a very pretty place even on a cloudy day.
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angus:
    You may well be right for a real vintage launch, but this one may have been a fibreglass job. Not having the odd £15K to hand, I didn’t look all that closely.

    Kate:
    Real vintage launches sell for much more. Collectors pieces, some of them are.
    There are a lot of wild birds on and around the River. The common species are found where the children throw in bread. Luckily this is not yet banned around here, although there are reports in other parts of the country of people being fined!
    You need to move out of the towns to spot the unusual birds.

    Kath:
    A ‘rich window’? Gosh, when I mentioned this a couple of months back, you said it might give me a heart attack! :D
    I think at my age I better take things quietly. :)
    I think the Cinema is still there. Not sure, but I don’t think it is used as a cinema anymore. I need to check.

    Molly:
    I must investigate the ‘Bobble Hatted Duck’. There are some unusual ducks to be seen, I’m really no expert with birds. Of any type! :)
    Good new about the weekend - We need some dry weather at Milton Keynes organ day.


    Helen:
    A long way to come for a row, but sounds as if it was very worth while.
    Most of the towns along the Thames are worth a visit. Of course Winsor, Eton and Oxford get very crowded at all times. Henley, however, is only unbearable at Regatta Week. I stay well away. I know all the quiet, and just as beautiful, spots.

    Cheers all….. Bernard.
    Just off to tune the Organ ready for Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh yes, better not take any chances Unc, best admire from afar (the slipper and the widow LOL).

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely collection of photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kath, I always say - "You can always look at the Menu, without tasting the dish!"
    As you say, "Admire from afar", and still have a bit of cash in your pocket for other more affordable goodies. :D

    You are always so kind about my photos Cherie.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That poplar tree has grown since you painted it.
    Pity about the diesel.
    Nice piccies. I think the duck's bobble might have been the last of his baby feathers growing out.
    £15,000???!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good afternoon Uncle B.,
    If you would find such a widow you might gave her a heartattack if you would ask her to finance such a "boat"....lol....seriously its a lovely Slipper....but can we stand the wind in our somewhat fading hear without getting a pneumonia?! there `s a time for everything..15 thousands Pounds??!! i bet you can make one yourself with your talents for a lot less...lovely pictures!
    Thank you for the lovely comment on my blog...i like the "sayings"in English better then in Dutch...it sounds far better i think...like lyrics and songs too..and it seems like all people of the world can read it...its a good idea to do both sides in each language...but when i finished one side of the little quilt i am "done"with it..
    Have a fab weekend....greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smashing post. Never been to Henley. Is it as posh as it sounds? We're a bit primitive up here you know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Evening Foody,
    All the trees along the Thames have their roots in the "water-table". You only have to dig a hole around here about 4' deep and it fills up with water. The biggest and juiciest blackberries grow along the riverside.
    I really don't know anything about duck's feathers, so I bow to your
    superior knowledge of birds. :)
    £15,000 - It's true!
    Some slipper launches sell for twice that. :(

    Good evening Francien.
    These boats are really lovely. They do not go fast, but are designed thin and smooth looking so that they glide through the water on the river, without making a 'wash' (waves).
    I am glad to hear that you enjoy our English language and you are correct, - more people can enjoy your blog.
    Had a fantastic weekend, thanks. Now need a week to recover from it. :)

    Hello Ken,
    Posh? Yes, it is a bit - and pricey!
    Boris Johnson used to be the MP here before he became Mayor of London. There are quite a few "Boris's" in and around Henley. A lot of posh houses along the River here also. It attracts those with a "bit of brass". :)

    ReplyDelete