Saturday, 18 December 2010

An Antique Bookshop.

.
I can't remember it being quite as cold as it is at the moment.
There have been worse Winters of course, but....

Now is the time for 'indoor' jobs, no chance of getting out in the workshop!

I was having a sort out of old book music.
You see, I have these little heaps all around the place;
you know, like those you get in antique bookshops.
A pile here, a pile there.
I don't live in an antique bookshop, but sometimes it sure feels like it.

So I sorted out some of the old music I don't look at very often,
and decided to move it up into my 'Glory Hole'.

I put one such heap on the stairs to go up - and on returning with the second heap,
found Hazel fast asleep on it.
On returning with the third batch to go up - Wesley had made a 'nest'.

Amazing, anything new and a cat will investigate.

This picture was taken later after I had decided to put covers on the music.
.
.
They have now adopted these two beds, and so all I have achieved,
is to move two heaps of music from one part of the house to another!
Hardly a 'tidy up'!

Well at least I know the cats are in the warm.
.
.
"Sleep in Heavenly Peace"

.
.
"Sleep in Heavenly Peace"


(I can't throw anything away, you see.
All that music you see there is over 100 years old.)

Perhaps I should live in an antique bookshop!
.
.

20 comments:

  1. Or put in an escaltor Bernard:)

    Bless em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about the mis-spelling Bernard, I have been having a few problems with the laptop keyboard.

    So I decided to "clean" it with my little vac, forgot to turn the "suck" down and it comsumed the "W" "E" "S" ans "A".

    I have spent the last ten minutes delving into the dustbag bowels to retrieve the bits.

    All is well that spells well:)

    The word should have been "escalator" of course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not quite what I would term "a little vac" Angus
    Sounds more like an industrial jobby to me. :)
    Foody lost a couple of keys off her keyboard and had little blobs of 'blutak' instead.
    I think what I need, is called a 'Dumb Waiter'.
    Do you remember them. They brought your meals up from the 'bowels' of Victorian houses, to the Dining rooms. A little lift on a rope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could Bernard but guess who would take possession of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a classic Bernard. They really do take the cake. We only have dogs here so I don't know much about cats ( except that they make me sneeze )but that is really funny.Are they humming a tune in their sleep?
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way cats are able to curl up in the most uncomfortable positions, or it looks like that, sweet though it is!
    It has snowed since 8AM and still is, have put pictures on my blog, you cant see the christmas tree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Maybe I should live in an antique bookshop", Oh that would be my dream Unc, I'd never go out.
    This made me think of Bagpuss and the little shop, where the mice to repair found objects...I adored it and wanted to live in that shop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're keeping your music safe for you, so the mousies won't chew on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good evening Uncle B., with cats in the house there is always something to blog about i guess...what a great pictures of your lovelies...they seem very at ease and in no hurry to get down..and why should they...its cold out!!and there will be another time to tidy-up...
    And i remember such a antique bookstore from where we lived in Rotterdam...it was a big store..dark..with all the narrow passages ...books pilled up everywhere with the stairs one could push from one site to the other..and a "nerdy" old couple included.. living in the back of the store.. who were always reading in some book themselfs...every child was a little afraid of them..the outside of the store was not very inviting..taped window and a very small door with a massiv bell when you entered the store....i often went there with my Grandfather who could stay there for hours looking through several books..reading a little and searched for another one or asked the owner..who immediatly knew where the book was...i loved it there..the store smelled like old coffee...musty...and the owners pipe he smoked...and the little woodburner...poor lights everywhere..but it was kind of very cosy inside..the couple was very friendly and i was looking forward to go there again...well you know the kind... so i would not mind living in such an old store...always something very interesting to find and read...so you hang on to your music..tidying up is the best way to look in all the old sheets again...and get nothing done..
    But i am reminiscing...sorry...at last i just want to wish you a very merry Christmas..three hugs for you as a custom here in Holland....stay indoors if possible and have a good time...
    greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Worry not about tidying up Bernard 'tis time for hibernating say Wesley and Hazel. And they look so snug and peaceful. Have a lovely peaceful Christmas. Love from Molly x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Helen:
    I’m afraid I don’t know much about dog’s sleeping habits. I have see pictures of Kath’s two in the most unusual places! :D

    Hi Annette:
    My cat’s like ‘new’ places. They stay put for a couple of days and then suddenly go AWL, and I have to go off and search out their new ’hidey hole’.
    Is your tree outside again this year? Good heavens! I’ll take look in a minute. :)

    Morning Kath:
    I feel so ‘at home’ in old bookshops. They never seem organised. I can imagine the owner coming back with a big pile of books and just plonking them down! :D

    Hellooo, Jan:
    They were certainly keeping it warm! I have to admit that in the twenty years I’ve lived here, I have never had mice indoors. Only dead one’s! (And now the cats are older, I don’t even get those. :D

    CherryPie,
    I can’t imagine this place without cats. They certainly keep me entertained. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning Francien:
    You must start another blog where you can recall all these lovely memories for us.
    There is certainly something cosy about those old shops. You are right you know, if you ask the owner about a book, they seem to be able to know exactly where it is amongst all those thousands there!
    And the lovely musty smell.
    I read somewhere that eventually books will become obsolete with the rise of computers and ‘e-books’. I do hope not. I shall hang on to mine. :D
    “Three Hugs” - I didn’t know about that. Sounds like fun. :D
    Jan (from California) would enjoy that, I bet.

    Morning Molly:
    Not a ‘real’ hibernation I’m afraid.
    After an hour or two, it’s feeding time again.
    That’s all those two do - is sleep and eat!
    What a life! :D

    Cheers all. I hope you are all keeping warm.
    Bernard. Xxx & three hugs to all.
    (not you Angus - you get 3 Mince Pies) :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thankyou for you comment on my blog.
    Yes, you're right, it is the same christmas tree and it has lights on it, but you cant see them because of the snow.
    I've looked for that picture and can't find it myself, but it has to be there somewhere.
    Will let you know when, if I find it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seem to remember a full moon in the picture as well? Or perhaps I'm getting that mixed up with another post of yours. :D
    Cheers.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  15. Youre right, the're was a full moon. Good on you for a brill memory.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I dont believe it, as they say, after writing that comment, I went back to my blog to look again for that photo, and found it! it took me all of 2 seconds! I searched everywhere for it yesterday and could not find it anmywhere!
    It is in january 2010 posts.
    I rememeber now that we keep our decorations up till jan 6th. I thought it would be before christmas last year but it wasn't.
    How funny I found it so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have just popped back for a look at that tree in January. 27th Jan I think. Yes I do remember it because I am sad to see trees thrown away after Christmas. Foody said I would be pleased - and I was!
    I also remembered the moon, because it was sooooo low, it looked like a Christmas light on the tree! LOL.
    Tree still looks 'happy' even with all that snow on him!
    I have left this on your blog as well.
    Two for the price of one - or buy one get one free as ASDA say :)
    Happy Christmas.....Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, what lovely cat photos! They just home in on all these cosy places, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anything new Foody. Anything new, they home in on. :)

    ReplyDelete