.
I’ve never shopped in Harrods.
In fact I don’t ever recall going into Harrods, but,
I’m told that their Food Hall stocks virtually everything.
.

.
Poor Bambi
Or perhaps you fancy a
Musical Ham Sandwich?
.

.
This is more to my liking......
..... a good "Stinking Bishop".
.

.
I think I had better rephrase that!
"I do like a nice slice of Stinking Bishop cheese. "
I am, at the moment, a Sainsbury’s man!
I went right off Asda and Tesco many months ago because of all the queues, blocked aisles, general hassle, and in the case of Asda, that awful piped excuse for music.
I venture into Waitrose these days, mainly for a warm and to have a poke around.
It’s nice to see how the other half live.
No. I’m not joking.
You can ‘bump into’ some very entertaining people in Beaconsfield Waitrose.
Mrs. (Paul) Daniels. - Oh! What's her name?
And I’ve also been told by my Post Lady friend,
that Cilla Black has just bought a mansion in Beaconsfild,
although I have yet to discover if,
and where, she does her own shopping.
But I digress.
Some weeks ago I noticed that Waitrose ‘own make’ cat food was not all that expensive,
so I tried Hazel and Wesley on a couple of packets for a treat.
I was fully expecting “turn-up nose” time.
You know, a dirty look, a flick of the tail and a slink back to bed.
But, no, they showed their good taste and polished off the lot.
What usually happens next -
- is that when you buy the next batch (usually half a dozen packets),
they suddenly decide to go orf it!
Not this time. They have decided that - Waitrose it is.
So, for the first time, this year I found myself doing my Christmas shopping in Waitrose rubbing baskets (I couldn’t afford to fill a trolley) with all those ‘retired’ stars of ‘yesteryear’.
I’m sure you don’t want to see my ‘weekly shop’, but here are a few unusual items I came home with.
.
.
Just a few 'Seasonal' goodies.
"Fever-Tree - Premium Ginger Beer.
Waitrose - Triple Chocolate Biscuits.
and
.
.
What have we here?
Australian liquorice!
Now I've always thought that liquorice came from Pontefract.
So this is a new one for me. I'll let you know what it's like later.
And of course the season would not be complete without......
.
.
I would have gone out and shot my own,
but the deep white stuff put paid to that!
.

OOh lok at all those goodies. We used to buy Lewis "reindeer droppings" which were made of chocolate.A 9 year old loves that kind of thing :D
ReplyDeleteWhen I kept my horse at Cookham Dean, we would often see Wendy walking her setter along Winter hill. Her property overlooks the wonderful views across the river.
The charity shops are good in Beaconsfield, a better class of bric-a-brac dontcha-know LOL
Talking of Beaconsfield,I was waiting at the roundabout outside Waitrose one day and an old gentleman came towards me, going the wrong way round. I don't know who was more surprised :o
Hey Bernard, I noticed Ginger Beer on your shopping list. My Auntie Nellie used to make ginger beer when I was a nipper. She used to store it in the pantry and every now and again a bottle would explode when you were least expecting it. Used to frighten the life out of me!!
ReplyDeleteMmm Ginger beer, you can keep the Rudolph pate though. Have a great Christmas.
ReplyDeleteA haggis among the goodies! Are you sure about that :) Everything else looks wonderful though.
ReplyDeleteCats are funny like that, I've had the same happen with mine.
Liquorice is made not far from here in a factory in Junee (not the Darrell Lea brand though). One of the ingredients is, apparently, wheat flour used as a binder.
Kate
I love liquorice Bernard, unfortunately it does strange thing to my rear exit.
ReplyDeleteBeen to Harrods loads of times back in the late sixties when I resided in the smoke. not bad but the rolls kept getting tickets:)
Hi Kath:
ReplyDeleteThat was only a small part of my shopping you see there.
I remember my Mother making ‘Donkey droppings’ ! A sort of dollop of chocolate cake. As you say great joke when you’re nine. :D
The Beaconsfield charity shops are good. Another has just opened opposite the old Woolworth building. The sad thing is - every new charity shop, means another closed little local shops. :(
Morning Molly:
Yes, real Ginger Beer. :)
Not that fizzy pop from Tesco! :(
I can remember trying that. Friends used to give you a starter ‘plant’ in a bottle. You added ginger, sugar and water. No wonder the bottles exploded. The secret was to use corks not screw tops!
Hi Eliza:
Don’t worry about Rudolph. That was only a Joke tin! :)
Cheers.
Hi Kate:
Yes, a haggis. :)
A good Winter warmer, and as Sam Gamgee would say “A rare good ballast for an empty belly!”. Mind you he was referring to Potatoes if I remember correctly.
I had no idea Liquorice was so popular and was made in Australia. But, fancy shipping it all the way back to England?. Think of the ‘food miles‘!
Message to Foody:
Hope you are recovered now? :)
And….I hope you get ‘thumbthing‘ nice for Christmas . :)
Angus, you sneeked in there under my radar!
ReplyDeleteYou see it takes me ages - all this one finger typing.
Yes, I know what you mean about liquorice, but you see, eating all this Stilton, "Stinking Bishop", Welsh Blue, Cornish Bleu, Cheddar, Sage Derby and Windsor Red - the next day I need loosening up a bit!
When we stayed in England for three months a couple of years ago we tried all the supermarkets and thought Morrisons was the one we liked the best - lovely wide aisles and good prices ( cheaper than Oz on the whole) but we didn't ever see a Waitrose so can't comment on them.
ReplyDeleteHarrods Food Hall is amazing! A great sight for tourists but hard on the pocket like anything at Harrods.
Cheers
Helen
My how the other half live, I can't afford to shop in Waitrose ;-)
ReplyDeleteStinking Bishop is a great cheese as long as you don't leave it to long in the fridge!
I spy with my little eye, something beginning with 'H'. Aye - a haggii Bernard. For the uninitiated, I've often described the taste of haggis akin to black pudding in the spicy sense, so if you like black pudding, haggis is worth trying, and very inexpensive. Mind you I couldn't tackle jellied eels!
ReplyDeleteBeen to Harrods a couple of times and bought one or two things from their food store, but really it was just to get the Harrods bag! Also had coffee and a muffin there, but it wasn't any different to any other place. Hubby was carrying a backpack (on his back obviously) and when entering the store, security asked him to carry it in his hand - which wasn't so convenient - I was a bit peeved.
There is now a Waitrose in Byres Road, Glasgow and I must say, I was very impressed when we shopped in it. We've bought a few items from that store, but it's not local to us - however, it's a very nice place to shop for something different - and if it's good enough for your cats, Bernard, then it's good enough for me.
Please letus know if you rub shoulders with any famous personalities. Maybe one day we'll see Cilla Black's blog which says - "Bumped into Uncle Bernard in Waitrose the other day - my he is a character". xx
I have this knack of low flying Bernard the retired train spotter, I must admit the idea of a stinking bishop close to my nether bits does not fill me with enthusiasm:)
ReplyDeleteMorning Helen,
ReplyDeleteWe have a Morrisons on the other side of Wycombe. It used to be Safeway before it was taken over. We have a sort of quality league table here for supermarkets. Waitrose is up in division one with Marks & Spenser. (I believe) With Morrisons and Sainsbury’s in the second. (My ratings). :)
Notice Harrods Crackers on todays post. Expensive? What gave you that idea? :o
Hi CherryPie:
Yes you can! :)
They are not that bad - they have introduced an “Essential” range, if you don’t want to pay over the top. Have a peep. :D
I leave my “Stinking Bishop” cheese in the shoe rack! :o
Helloooo, Mrs S.
I like haggis (cheap variety) all the year round, but treat myself to a nice expensive one from Waitrose at Christmas. :)
Black Pudding, White Pudding, Haggis and Faggots! I love them all. :)
No I don’t fancy Eels. They are Devonshire Dumplings fav. I believe.
“Been there! Got the Bag!” Yes I like that idea.. I always take my M&S and Waitrose bags with me when I sneak into Asda - then the neighbours never guess where I’ve really been!
As I said to Cherie, Waitrose have a very good ‘cheaper’ range calles “Essentials”.
It’s worth a try.
Have a nice break. See you next year. xx
Morning Angus:
I notice from your blog, that you have bought your “Christmas Bah! Humbugs!” :)
'Tis the season for Humbug Bernard, and I am very practised in the art:)
ReplyDeleteThe season for HB?
ReplyDeleteIt might well be! Angus.
But fancy 'sucking' up to the dentist!
What were your after?
A discount? :)
Hope it didn't hurt.....?
We have this agreement-I grab him by his veg and we agree not to cause each other any pain.
ReplyDeleteDiscount? I have more chance of winning the lottery:)
A food post! Mac Sween's haggis is supposed to be the best. Do let us know what you do with your fresh chestnuts. Stilton bics! Well if you like that sort of thing. I hate blue cheese. Enjoy yourself!
ReplyDelete