.
.
I'm not really a 'hiker' but I do enjoy a good walk.
My Dad was a keen walker,
and he belonged to several groups in his local area.
When he came down to stay with me for a week, I used to
arrange a nice series of interesting walks.
I didn't take many pictures at the time,
as I only owned a film camera,
but the one below was the day in 1995,
when we ended up at Didcot Railway Museum.
.
.
I like it best if I can start my walks from home
as I did here, up along Winter Hill.
But the weather this last week,
has not been ideal for walking anywhere!
.
.
My road the other day was water from side to side.
It looked more like a canal.
Here's the same bit of road on a sunny morning.
Complete with a 'road runner'.
.
.
This was taken through the front room window.
We have these small fellows all around the area.
I have no idea what they are. You usually see them running and
in fact I've never seen one fly.
Most (dry) mornings, around 6 o'clock,
I will be out on my early morning walk.
More for exercise really and I don't take my camera, but,
recently I have been spotting more of these birds,
out for their early morning peck.
So I have started taking my camera with me and yesterday,
I struck lucky.
Here's one.
.
.
Too far off to identify it.
Here's another couple.
A bit closer
.
.
And finally I managed to get a closer shot.
Not easy as they 'scoot off'' when you get too close.
.
.
So, what are they?
And can you cook them?
No, I'm only joking.
( I know for sure they are not Jenny Wrens! )
Bright and sunny this morn and
Conifer lopping is complete.
.
.
I have to admit though,
that I don't think I've improved the view?
Next task please.
.

I think your 'road runner' is a red legged partridge. Is that you standing on the map with a rucksack on your back?
ReplyDeletePlant a pear tree so the partridge has a place to perch instead of putzing around on the pavement.
ReplyDeleteKatherine, who sends cookies to faraway places, says she can show me how to pack them so they'd survive a trip to England.
Lovely post Bernard,I was also thinking partridge just from pics I have seen,looks like your weather has been similar to ours.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was a partridge too until you got in a bit closer and now I am not so sure...
ReplyDeleteI love walking too! It's been raining all day here as well so no walks today! Wasn't it a co-incidence we both videoed the birds singing. My first attempt on You tube. Post your video up on your next post - would love to hear it!
ReplyDeleteHere I am commenting again. I thought they looked like quails but I am happy to agree they are rlp's.
ReplyDeleteOn the advice of somebody who knows a lot more about these things than I do (thank you, somebody), I have used Google Chrome to go onto the blog and I think I will now be able to leave comments without any problems. Here goes... let's see....
ooooooooh we very nearly trimmed a conifer in our garden a few days ago but first I had a look in it to make sure there were no nests........yep there was a nest with four little eggs in it! now were they old eggs or not? that was the question. We decided not to trim it due to the eggs. i have been carefully checking the conifer each day making sure not to disturb the nest, lo and behold today when i looked in one of the eggs has hatch and a tiny chick is wriggling about in the nest...........I will be keeping an extra look out now on the nest to make sure everything is ok......but then nature knows best.
ReplyDelete