Friday, 22 July 2011

"Those were the Days, my Friend"

.
It was Kath that asked the question -
"What do little boys play with?"

I was of course tempted to say, we played with little girls,
but,
I thought I had better rephrase that to say,
we played games with little girls.

So, I sat down to make a list of some of the real toys we played with,
and the blog got longer and longer.
I thought no one will read 48 pages - I'll have to reduce it to just a couple of subjects this time round.

In the nineteen forties, you played with anything you could find, even banging on an upturned bucket with a stick!
There were few toys.
.
.
I expect I did have a drum, but I thought I'd kick off with a photo of my father with his drum, taken around the end of WW1.
.
.
"Off to the Front" with of course his Teddy Bear,
or perhaps it's his toy dog?
I found this in that box of old pictures I was sorting through.

I expect I had a Teddy bear as do most children, but I do remember being given a 'Nurse doll'. I remember it having a white apron with a big red cross on the front. How I got to be given a doll, I do not know, except that toys were not something you bought during the war years (WW2 now).
I expect someone had 'grown out of it' and had passed it on to my mother.
.
.
I didn't find many pictures of me with toys, as I said earlier,
we played with anything to hand.
Like this....
.
.
Little B - Summer 1943.
No elf 'n Safety in those days. I lived dangerously!

Later on of course I had my own little mower,
from our old friend Dinky.
.
.
This is not mine: all my toys, as I grew up, were passed down to younger brothers and maybe even sister?
Then where? Who knows?

One toy I do know the history of is one my Father made for me.
He was stationed at Market Drayton (I blogged here if I remember) and he managed to get bits and pieces to make toys for me.
.
.
The horse you see below was made for Christmas 1943, and Dad told me how on the train home for leave, he got umpteen offers from people wanting to buy it.
But it arrived safely at Linden Road.
.
.
It was Christmas Day in the Garden....

An interesting technical bit now.
Those little wheels on it were old 'ball races' recovered from WW2 aircraft. Probably old wheel bearings from a Spitfire?
It didn't go like a Spitfire though, it gave a rather rough ride on solid metal tyres!

.
.
All boys had trains.
We had lots of them.
Starting off with clockwork...
.
.
This is a three rail electric. Ours was two rail clockwork.

Living in Bournville this was a 'must have'.
.
.
Ah, those were the days.
Eventually we did progress to Hornby Dublo electric.
We had a baseboard in the spare room and painted it green with sponge trees and hedges.

I wonder where it has all gone?

Go on, ask me.

You didn't think I was going to throw out
'goodies' like that!
.
.
From the loft.

"Those were the days my Friend.
We thought they'd never end."
.

12 comments:

  1. You could keep the 48 ideas for 48 separate posts, then you wouldn't have bloggers' block for a very long time.
    That lawnmower is very well preserved. I like the dog/teddy and the horse most of all.
    Now you have your organ grinding which is maybe a bit like playing with toys. Or have I said the wrong thing? Ooops! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing all the toys, esp. the horse and your trains. I am happy that I am not the only one who, at 65 yrs., has kept up with such things as my Alice in Wonderland doll, Raggedy Ann, pink toe shoes, and the majorette outfit my Mother made. Everytime I think about parting with them, I just can't bear to leave the memories they bring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Foody,
    It was 48 pages, not 48 ideas/blogs, but you are right, the ideas will not be discarded. As I said above, the mower isn't mine, I found it for sale on eBay, but we did have one similar. Yes, playing the organ is 'child's play'! The children of course love it, which is why I have all those clowns on display.

    Hello Marilyn,
    Nice of you to drop by and comment.
    I looked to see if you have a blog for me to read, but no success.
    I do tend to hoard things, I must admit. I don't have many things from my childhood, but I do have loads of old photographs....and as you also say, the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No you didn't fool me. I knew you'd have some trains stashed away somewhere. I've noticed quite a fascination with old steam trains in England from a few blogs. Days when people get all dressed up and ride on steam trains. Funny how people only remember the good bits about steam trains and forget the soot!!
    We didn't have toys like the kids these days have either Bernard. Instead we had imaginations!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Nostalgia! My then husband made a wooden horse (Dobbin) for Stuart back in the 1960s. Money was tight then, too. Can't remember what happened to that.
    During the war I did so want a toy telephone, not something we had in real life. I was given one but - huge disappointment - it was a wall telephone with a hand held earpiece and 'speaker' which was board mounted. I imagine I expected a 'real' telephone like the ones in American films...
    And where's your air raid shelter???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so enjoyed reading your blog, Bernard. We had hoards of cousins to stay in the school holidays during my childhood. We played lots of games like French Cricket and we made 'telephones' out of two tin cans and endless string. We went for bike rides and made 'fairs' with 'stalls' and competitions to see who could stay on the rolling milk churn longest! Ah nostalgia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just perfect Uncle Bernard. I do enjoy your reminisces and wonderful photos. I envy you having all those old family photos.
    My Dad too, made dolls cots, dolls houses, model animals and later, a trolley of bricks and a tricycle for my own son. Naturally, they were put safely in the loft when Lewis outgrew them, as my Dad passed away when he was just 7 and these items are all the more precious now.
    ..and yes, when we moved to Somerset, they moved with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading your reminisings and seeing your photos :-) The trains remind me of the ones my brother used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this blog Bernard, I still have my doll i got for my 6th birthday and she is lovely,the grandchildren think she looks spooky but I guess all the Pedigree dolls looked like that,Bob still has a little train and track from his Dad it is a key wind up one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning Helen,
    You will be interested to know that I don’t keep everything. :)
    In fact I’ve been having quite a ‘clear-out’ over the last few years.
    Sometimes it is very difficult to decide what to keep and what to get rid off.
    Nostalgia always wins though.

    Sylve,
    If you are looking for a ‘real’ telephone as used in films - look no further than :-
    monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2010/02/im-calling-you-oooooooooooo.html
    We had a air raid shelter at Linden Rd where that photo was taken, but it was never used as it always filled up with water. My Mother told me, we slept under the stairs when there was a raid.

    Hi Molly,
    Yes I remember the tin cans on string. The only problem was, you had to pull the string tight to get it to work.
    Dad made us pairs of stilts out of old wood, and we had competitions to see who could walk the furthest.
    Great fun.

    Thanks Kath,
    Glad you liked it. It was much ‘cut down’ to fit the blog I’m afraid, but I now have more ideas for the future.
    PS I know how to go to 'Dashboard' in one click now. When you have ‘dashboard’ up - save it as a favourite. I now have it on my ‘Bookmarks bar’ at the top of the screen - just between ‘Kath’ and ‘Sylvie’. :D

    Hello CherryPie,
    Another ‘happy customer’. That’s what I like. I try to pick out the most interesting photos.

    Hi Carole,
    And another ‘happy reader’. Thanks. Our first train set was also a ‘wind up’ one. It always ran tooooo fast though, and came off on the corners.

    Cheers all......B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tip Uncle B!
    Glad there is no favouritism between me and Silve :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. In fact if you create a "short cut" (to your dashboard page) from your desk top, that's quicker still...just click on the icon and you're magically transported to your dashboard :-D

    ReplyDelete