Monday, 22 February 2010

Fair Maids of February

.
.
Deep sleeps the Winter, cold wet and grey;
Surely all the world is dead; Spring is far away.

.
.
Wait ! The world shall waken; it is not dead, for lo,
The Fair Maids of February stand in the snow!

.
.
Now with tender pencilled cup,
And with triple wings of white,
Snowdrop-maidens flutter up,
Wakened from the winter's night.

.
.
Now the birch with ruddier rind,
Hears the tit call to his fellow;
February's gentle wind,
Turns the happy larches yellow. **

.
.
Sunday, 21st of February. Great Missenden. England.


** A February Song - H. D. Rawnsley

Note: All the pictures will enlarge (by a left click on them).
.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely words, lovely daffodils.
    How did you get on at Specsavers, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Bernard - thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely Uncle. Great Missenden is one of my favourite villages and home to the Roald Dahl museum as you know. Your photos are very peaceful, I think that's why I love graveyards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good evening Uncle B.,
    I would not mind living next to that older part of the graveyard..it looks realy piecefull on the pictures you took...and Great Missenden...isn't that the village were Roald Dahl had his writing hut?..no one was aloud in there if i remember correctly...there was a interview ones on tv with him and he spook to the reporter in front of it...i love some of his childrenbooks..like "Sjakie en de chocoladefabriek"...have to write that in Dutch because i dont know the English title...and Hexen( Witches?!)...my grandson has it as a "listenbook" on his Ipod would you believe.....what happend to just read his lovely books?!....
    Great poem from Rawnsley...thanks for sharing it all....greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are beautiful, thank you :-)

    They are a lot taller than the ones I saw which were very close to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for dropping in and commenting.
    Sunday was one day that actually stayed dry here, I probably wouldn't have gone in the pouring rain. The Snowdrops are all in the old cemetery behind the church….probably been spreading out for hundreds of years. As Kath and Francien correctly pointed out, Roald Dahl is buried there and I was standing near his grave when I took that picture of the church.
    This is in the new graveyard shown in that picture. I did a post some time back about it, here if I remember correctly.
    monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2009/11/its-no-laughing-matter.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unc, have I offended you? You haven't been dropping in with your usual frequency. Was it because of the wren post? I didn't mean to sound harsh. I'm very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Fraid so.
    Actually, you see, my eyesight isn't very good.

    I'll be over later.
    I never hold a grudge.
    Unc. B

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! I had no idea. I didn't take kindly myself because I was saying what it was, not asking, but I thought I was dealng with it in a harmless, jokey kind of way. What you don't realise when you just say these things. Pleeeease, I'm really very sorry. I think this is the third time I've said sorry. I do mean it. I'm grovel, grovel, grovelling. If I had known, obviously I wouldn't have made that joke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's all OK now.
    Say no more......I've left you a comment.
    Cheers....Unc. B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos and verse. I just love snowdrops, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer, how nice of you drop in, and a thank you for appreciative comment. It was a nice dry day on Sunday, otherwise I would not have got those pictures. We have had so much rain here lately.
    Cheers......Bernard

    ReplyDelete