Thursday, 11 February 2010

"Give me Five minutes More"

.
I noticed that there have been quite a lot of foodie bits here this week, so I'm going to include a bit of sheet music today.
I did a post on 'Children's Favourites' on the radio a couple of weeks ago but I have many other early favourites from the late forties and early fifties.
My Father had a small radio out in his shed and in those days he was always tuned into 'Radio Luxembourg'. I had no idea why.
.
.
He would come back in for his tea singing, (or humming if he didn't know the words,) the catchy songs of the day. These have stuck in my memory and I have, over the last few years been seeking out the sheet music.
This was always one of my favourites.
.
.
We, indoors had our big radio tuned into the BBC Home Service. These were regional broadcasts and ours was the 'Midland Home Service'. What extra Dad was listening to on Luxembourg, I had no idea - "Horace Batchelor from Keynsham, Bristol" perhaps!
.
.
Here's another from those 'Good Old Days'. This is what Dad would sing when Mother called him in for his tea. "Give me Five minutes More".
'Tea' was, by the way, our evening meal.....not a 'cuppa'!
.
.
And this one below I dug out for a special reason.
.
.
When I read in today's papers that dead bodies of Hindus are going to be burnt on open-air pyres! OMG

So now we can all smell the wonderful odour of burning corpses on the wind when we go outside.
Where's Elf ’n Safety when you really need them?
And how come this is now OK when some people aren’t even allowed to burn their own garden waste?
It's revolting.
.

10 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry about the burninng bodies smell. It'll just smell like barbecue!
    You are right - huge anomaly there, if some can't even light garden fires but others can have human barbies! I don't get it.
    Will it depend on what the died of? There might be things in those bodies that could harm the rest of us if their fumes get out.
    I can remember a teen girls' magazine (Was it Fab 208?) that was geared around Radio Luxembourg and I could never work out why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to listen to "Luxy" after lights out and I remember the reception was dreadful, fading from loud to quiet. But it was all part of it's slightly subversive appeal! I believe the movie "The boat that rocked" was based on radio Luxembourg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that first song! Can't figure out where I heard it, though.

    Some religions dispose of the dead by letting buzzards eat the corpses. Will that be next in England? So you'll need signs in the parks that say, "Don't Feed the Wildlife. Except Buzzards."

    I like buzzards, and I really wouldn't mind being fed to them instead of being pickled and preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horace Batchelor!!!! O you do drag them out Bernard, it's great.My dad was the same but would never have dared ask for 5 minutes more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The just 5 minutes more reminds me of me in the mornings when the alarm has gone off! Mmm! just 5 minutes more dozing before I get up. It last for at least half an hour ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That radio just looks like the one we had when I was the age of the young girl sitting on the father's lap. And I would peer in the lighted small canvas trying to see the singing and talking little people in the huge box. What memories you bring on! And why did we all sit, in a semi-circle, around the radio when there was really nothing to see?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember a couple of your chosen pieces of music, Bernard, but not "YOU CAN'T DO THAT THERE 'ERE"(which should be revived in relation to Hindu's burning their loved ones in the open air - we're British after all!). Why do we change the laws of our country to suit minority groups?

    Our family always referred to mealtimes as breakfast, dinner, tea and supper. Most people now refer to mealtimes as breakfast, lunch and dinner; supper seems to have vanished from our vocabulary - unless it's a light supper for people who haven't had dinner (that would be tea for us) grrrrrrh - gets very confusing!

    I enjoyed your posting today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning Foody:
    You’ve put me off my toast now!
    What a start to the day.
    Ahhhhh, You were a teenager in the ‘80 then?

    Kath:
    I used to listen too, when I was older (in the 60’s).
    You are right the reception was a bit grim.
    If I remember there were loads of adverts…a bit like a radio version of ITV.

    Jan: I found a version for you on YT and I have popped it up on Tracker-bar.
    This is an older version by Gracie Fields probably not the one you recognise.
    You are putting me off my breakfast! All this talk of buzzards, corpses and pickles! LOL……..Yuk.

    Liz, I wondered if anyone would remember Keynsham, spelt K E Y N S H A M.!!
    That takes us back a few years.

    Cherie: A long “Five Minutes”….then. You would be too young to remember the original but I expect it is there somewhere on YT.

    Hi Claudia, We did the same…..fascinated as to where the sound came from. I went on to get interested in radio and electronics and started building crystal sets and things like that. Somewhere up in the loft I still have one I built nearly 50 years ago!

    Morning Mrs S.
    It went…..“You can do that there, you can do that there but you can’t do that there ‘ere”. I expect I could find a version somewhere but I never know whether to put in links or not?
    I agree with you…..people should adapt to our culture not keep trying to change we have. We should not have to accept things like this unless at least 51% of the population agree.
    When I was young, supper was for grown-ups and just a snack around 9pm. The ‘lunch’ and ‘dinner’ thing seems a north/south thing don’t you think?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh memories! My Grandmother used to say "if I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake" and so did my Mother (when I turned up unannounced. I say it to my friends and surprise visitors always get to hear the same line but I never realised that the "family joke" goes way back to an actual song.

    And all this time my family all thought it was Grandmother's excuse for uninvited guests when she had not been expecting to see them and was a bit put out at their visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can now go over to tracker-bar DD and listen to it again. That is a Gracie Fields version.
    I think there is probably a tune/song behind every saying/story. (Except laver seaweed).

    ReplyDelete