Saturday, 13 February 2010

I'm not one for the Birds!


If I did a search for the most frequent word in songs….it would have to be ‘Love’.
And I wouldn’t mind betting ‘Heart’ comes in a close second. I have hundreds of both, from Broken Hearts right through to Mozart!
.
.
I have read that researchers have found a genetic link between physical pain and rejection. These psychologists at the University of California have had more funding than they knew what to do with, so they collected saliva samples from 122 participants to assess which form of the pain gene they had and then they measured their sensitivity to rejection.
Well it appears that those with this gene felt more distress when they were left out of the game compared to the others.
Co-author Baldwin Way said: 'These findings suggest that the feeling of being given the cold shoulder by a romantic interest may arise from the same circuits.'

The significance of this could be profound. Will people be taking time of work to recover from the pain of rejection?
.
.
It also appears that single women looking for love on Valentine's Day should turn to birdwatching to find out who they will marry, according to the ancient art of ornithomancy.
The practice of reading signs from birds, which dates back to Greek and Roman times, dictates that the first bird an unmarried woman sees on Valentine's Day is an omen of her future husband's character.

Who's your lovebird?
.
.
Woodpecker: no marriage will take place

Dove: your marriage to him will be happy and loving
Robin: he earns his living through water – a naval officer or fisherman
Sparrow: he works with the land – a farmer or tree surgeon
Birds of prey: he is a businessman, politician or leader
Pigeon: he will eventually return to the place where he grew up
.
.
Blackbird: he'll be involved in charitable or spiritual work – an aid worker or vicar

Duck: your relationship with him will be homely and stable
Gull: he travels a great deal for work
Goldfinch: he is a person of means
Kingfisher: he has already done well or inherited money
Blue bird: he likes to make others smile – a comedian
.
I like that last one......I have a little 'blue' book full of little 'blue' jokes.
I must dig it out again.
.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Bernard! First, a comment on your lower-down-the-blog post, where you show the song "If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake." If you can bear to spend the time, get hold of a massive tome titled "The Human Touch" by Michael Frayn. It really is incredible the amount of space that this hugely talented and very funny writer devotes to "proving" that this title is Illogical, and should be something like "If I Had Known in Advance that You Were Coming . . :" etc. Michael . . WE KNOW THAT! Lyric writer gotta fit words to the music, innit?

    Second. Can you remind me which singer or singers popularised a song including these words:-
    "I love you a bushel and a peck,
    A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck,
    A hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap,
    A barrel and a heap and I'm talkin' in my sleep
    About you!'

    I'm thinking along the lines of Pet Clark, Doris You-Know-Who,
    maybe Ruby Murray. AS LONG AS IT WASN"T THE INCOMPARABLE MISS PEGGY LEE. Phwooaarrr! Quite beneath her talents!

    BTW . . I can recall nearly all the words of nearly all these wonderful 1940's to 1960's songs. The kids say "How do you do it, Dad?"
    Your music posts always a joy . . but maybe that just shows I'm gettin' old.

    All good wishes

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S The same kids remind me how, when they were little, I used to sing

    "If I took a birdbath
    My whistle would sting . ."

    and a lot more for which Blogland would excommunicate me if I repeated it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there was a Doris Day version and I think Perry Como recorded one also. I shall check YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've put up a version by the Lennon sisters over on Tracker-bar. (I keep that one for YT downloads - as I don't want to screw this one up).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it was Doris in a movie, correct me Bernard.
    No geese then on your interesting list?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about the peacock? I guess the Husband would spend more time in front of the mirror than the wife.... and could not be trusted not to display his assets to the other girls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, I'm not sure about a movie, but there was Doris Day version. It was from the show "Guys and Dolls".
    Sorry....no geese.

    Sorry Kath, no peacocks either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that's an interesting post today. Being married for 42 years this Thursday (if it lasts that long!) the piece about birds probably doesn't apply to me but, we were sitting at our sons dining table this afternoon and this huge wood pigeon arriving in his garden. My husband's always had hankerings to return to the place where he grew up. Maybe a wee bit encouragement from me is all that is needed (hehehe). xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you found it interesting. It was all new to me actually.

    ReplyDelete