.
Yesterdays post was a picture of a Model village getting a dose of the 'white stuff'' just before Christmas. I have to admit I can't remember where it was. A senior moment again.
However it gave me the idea for today's bit.
Back in the 1950's Dad had an Armstrong Sidderly. It was a 1932 model.....I can even remember the registration - BOM 365. I'm sure I have a photo somewhere.....that's for another day.
However, days out in the car would inevitably take us south of Bournville to villages with colourful names like Morton-in-Marsh, Piddle-on-the-Wyre and Bourton-on -the-Water.
We loved Bourton because of its Model Village and being allowed to paddle in the shallow river which ran alongside the High St.
.

.
Well this is us in the Model Village around 1951-2. I am at the back with cousin Susan. In front of me is cousin Stewart, with brothers Colin and Adrian on his right.
I have dug out some old photos of the model village as it was then. I am told Bourton has been changed beyond recognition which is always a shame.
.

.
An overview.
.

.
A close up.
.

.
And a view of the Model Village within the Model Village itself.
I can't remember if there is a smaller model in the model's model...!!!
Now just up the road from here in Beaconsfield is a real cracker of a Model Village.
It is called 'Bekonscot' and was started over 80 years ago. What I like most about it, is the working scale model railway and all the beautiful miniature shrubs and trees.
They are Gauge 1 models, that means a scale of 10mm to 1 foot, giving a track gauge of 1 3/4".
.
.
I took this picture many years ago when I took three of my nephews there for a visit.
They are there somewhere in the picture.
There is a BBC video of Bekonscot which you can see here... a general overview, whilst on Tracker-bar I have put up my favourite. It's a (scale) 10 mile trip around the garden on the front of one of the little trains. It's really well done considering that the engines are only 3" wide.
.

These are absolutely amazing! Never heard of such undertakings and I wish we had something like this over here.
ReplyDeleteNow, it does beg the question. Why?
I was leaving you a comment at 12:38...how about that for a coincidence?
ReplyDeleteWe have loads like this, all over the country and I wouldn't mind betting it's a strange English thing.
Men in particular like building models. I am building a model steam engine at the moment. They say England is a country of eccentrics. And I reckon it is a good thing. All these things would not exist without us 'model engineers'. Did you take a 'trip' on the train?
CUTE! I have never been to a model village and always wanted to when I was young. I feel very deprived.
ReplyDeleteLook at those smart children in their collars and ties. You never see anything like that now. Lucky if they even get dressed up even for weddings and funerals.
Hi Foody, I was just leaving you a comment.
ReplyDeleteWell I have left one actually.
You should go to one at least. Not the 'toy' ones you get at the seaside....a real one. These two are probably the best, although I shouldn't say that until I've seem a few more. Have a google.....you'd be surprised what is out there.
We weren't allowed out unless we were smart and well washed behind the ears! I can also remember Mom making sure we had clean underpants, in-case we had a crash and ended up in hospital.!
ReplyDeleteWhat a laugh?
I notice that tall chap at the back has no tie.
I'm like that now (sports shirts) I haven't wore a tie for some twenty years! True.
hello!! Beaconsfield Model Village is great! and I've also been to the one at Bourton on the water, but that was a long time ago!!
ReplyDeleteDon't know if you heard Owain and Andrea have another girl as yet with no name gorgeous though so that's another great niece to add to the collection x x
lol Amyx
Hello Amy, Yes I had heard of another great niece......I'm waiting to hear the news of her name...bless her. Another girl....what will happen to the good old family name if there are no boys to carry it on?
ReplyDeleteGlad you like the trains.....lol Unc B xxx
I adore Beconscot, when Lewis was little, we had a season ticket and went once a week. he was obsessed with the little trains and would lay on the path peeping over the edge of the bridge to see one come steaming along. Did you know Beconscot has a Facebook page!
ReplyDeleteNow come on Bernard even I know that's Piddle-in-the-Wye!!!
ReplyDeletegreat post, love the photos.
P.S. we have a model village not far from here - probably built by an English immigrant!It's very pretty, covered in roses and such.
ReplyDeleteForgot to mention the old Armstrong-Sidderley! I remember them well, and great number plate!
Hi Kath: All boys I ever knew loved watching trains....did his dad have a model railway at home?
ReplyDeleteI have to admit, that although I have heard of Facebook, I don't know what it is or does.
Liz: I know I live near the river Wye (flows through High Wycombe) but ladies here don't do things like that!
There really is a place on the river Wyre called Piddle. True.....have a Google.
Cheers all......Bernard
... ... ... and not a satellite dish in sight - magnificent. xx
ReplyDelete