.
My post on Wesley’s birthday presented me with a load of comments for which I was grateful, but I did notice that they were all from the ladies. (I never know when to use girls, gals, ladies or women?)
Are cats a ‘girly’ thing? I don’t think so.
I know that traditionally the feline and feminine are seen as synonymous, the argument going that cats, like women, are well groomed, mysterious, detached, neat, precise, poised, independent, complicated, unpredictable, maddening, irritable, sleek, elegant, and expect you to read their minds and, when you inevitably fail to do so, will lash out erratically.
.

.
My brother doesn’t like them and I know of other men with similar views but I have never met, or heard of for that matter, a woman say that she hates cats. I know there must be some, but not many.
I haven’t always liked cats, it’s true. When we were children we had an aviary in our garden and used to breed budgerigars. Of course this meant all the local moggies came round and sat on the wire roof. We had to keep going out and chasing them off.
But with age I have got to liking them. Why? I can’t say for sure but they are good company and of course you don’t have to take them for walks.
I suppose overall you will find more cats have female owners. I never see any other men buying cat food in Sainsbury’s.
As everyone, (except Adrian) liked that picture of young Wesley, here is another this time with his (late) sister, Lizzie.
.

.
A bit of digging around did come up with quite a few famous male cat owners, including Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Victor Hugo, Marlon Brando (who reportedly found a stray on the set of The Godfather and incorporated it into a scene), Alexandre Dumas, Winston Churchill, T. S. Eliot, and Russell Brand.
I also found the results of a survey done by the Cats Protection League that found that 85 per cent of men and 94 per cent of women don’t think it’s wimpy or needy for a man to love his cat.
I also discovered a survey that showed that owning a cat makes men more attractive to the opposite sex: it shows we have a kind, caring and sensitive side.
.

.
And a grown up twelve year-old Lizzie.
And lastly’ and probably the most controversial was this survey by the University of Bristol, that found that cat owners had better academic qualifications than dog owners (although there are cat owners who would suggest that the answer is perfectly simple, in that cats are more intelligent than dogs, and therefore pick more intelligent owners).
Please……. don’t shoot the messenger!
Although, I’ve always thought that cats were smarter than dogs……..
You wouldn’t persuade a team of six cats to pull a sledge, that’s for sure!
And did you know a group of cats is not a team, but a clowder?
And did you know that catgut is made from the twisted intestines from sheep?
And that……………………….
"GUTS" is arriving home late after a night out with the boys, being assaulted by your wife with a broom, and having the guts to say, "are you still cleaning or are you planning to fly off somewhere?"
.

Well I'm one of the few women who don't like cats....AND they make me sneeze !
ReplyDeleteHelen
Helen, I know we haven't actually met, but you have to be the first that has told me so.
ReplyDeleteI do know the fur can cause asthma and it can't be very nice those with allergies.
Actually, it's nice that we all have different likes and dislikes......people would be so boring if we were all the same. "Vivre la differance"
Cheers......Bernard
I have a female cousin who can't be in a house where there are cats, even if the cats aren't! She doesn't just sneeze. She experiences severe asthma symptoms very quickly. Through no fault of her own she has to decline family gatherings chez nous. But I think she would like cats if she could get to grips with them!
ReplyDeleteSomeone once said "To your dog, you are the pack leader. To your cat you could just as well be a chimpanzee."
Must remember your "guts" declaration of war, Bernard. Nice one!
When I worked in the vets, we had a huge number of male cat owners, some of whom were quite obsessed with their darlingsTalking of broomsticks, my freind Linda used to refer to Herself, our friend Ann and I, as the 3 witches Macbeth. I recently sent her a car sticker that says "My other car is a broomstick".
ReplyDeleteps yes he does like the kitchen and is cooking in it and watching rugby, as we speak :D
Other than you I have a least two other male bloggers on my list who love cats. So male cat lovers are not so rare as it initially seems.
ReplyDeleteI like cats. I don't necessarily love them. I actually like all pets, and when my children were young, we had different species. I drew the line at snakes! But my younger son loved cats. And they loved him. At one point we had two from the same litter. We called them Double and Trouble. All they ever did was eat, sleep and mischief. They had chosen to sleep at the foot of my son's bed, under a thin blanket. And you couldn't disloge them from there even at night. I'm ready to swear that cats sleep 36 hours of a 24-hour-day. And they added my music sheets, and a lovely bouquet of dried flowers, to the healthy diet we offered. Great memories!
ReplyDeleteEnjoyable post and photos. Thanks!
Cats!! They need intelligent people around them because they need the challenges and smart people are more trainable as reliable staff.
ReplyDeleteRe what to call those of the female persuasion.I guess it varies according to culture, country age etc.Here, girls are your close friends if you're female even when you're 90, usually your school friends.They can be called girls by men as long as it's in a jokey way.Women is for serious talk and ladies these days is very tongue in cheek.Gals is too American for us and gels to English posh.All may be used as long as it's with humour.Different in England I think!?
PS my male consultant just reminded me that these days women are often called 'mate' by men, a word once exclusivly male and the younger generation call each other 'guys' whether they are male,female or in a mixed group.Interesting thing the development of language!
ReplyDelete@Von - Now, I understand my twelve-year-old grandson's message (last week) on Facebook about his uncle and grandmother's generous Birthday gifts, "Cool! Thanks, guys." I'm still laughing...
ReplyDeleteDr. FTSE:
ReplyDeleteI believe the problem arises from particles of dried saliva. Cat’s seem to be very keen on licking all parts of their anatomy and their saliva dries on their fur. When dry the small particles get into the air and surrounding soft furnishings and carpets.
There is no solution I’m afraid.
Kath:
Well, I don’t appear to be alone then. That’s good news.
It is nice to hear people joke about these things (Witches) as so many people today are getting offended (present company excluded) by the slightest remarks.
“He who watches rugby whilst cooking….ends up with saucepan boiling over”!
Cherie:
More good news ….thanks.
I’ve just been looking at your pictures of Snowdrops. Really nice as always.
Hi Claudia,
I believe they need 18 hours of sleep a day because they don’t go into a deep sleep like us humans do. It is only a light sleep with their ears always ‘tuned in’, hence the term ‘Cat-nap’. My cats have chewed some strange items like moths, beetles and butterflies but never my music. Was it a song about Mice perhaps?
Liz:
I think you are right. Girls here talk about “us girls”.
I use ‘ladies’ most when writing as it really can’t offend. The words ‘female’ and ‘women’, as you say are for more serious talk.
I actually like the word ’gal’. I know it’s American but it sounds very ‘pally’.
OK all you ’guys’, thanks for all your ’cool’ comments.
And I wonder why they didn’t pick up on ‘dolls’ as in
“Guys and Dolls”?
Funny thing - cats know I don't like them and when I walk down the street they run out and wind themselves around my legs or jump up on my lap when they live in a house that I visit. Trying to win me over?
ReplyDeleteHelen
On the scrounge I expect for a scratch around the ears or any kind of fuss.
ReplyDeleteCheers......Bernard
re. that last comment. Is that really guts? Or stupidity...?
ReplyDeleteHa ha. Well I suppose it all depends on how large you wife is.
ReplyDeleteIt was meant, of course, as a joke. :)
I know a few women who just don't like cats. I love them. I really like your photos too. I can hardly believe that kittens picture. They're so cute I wonder if they are real! I like the Bristol Uni research very much but will say no more. Don't want to spark off a squabble about who's cleverer then whom!
ReplyDeleteHey I hope your day with the kiddies went well and that you tried some Monster Munch. Such a day sounds like Hell on earth to me (kids and that), but so long as you all liked it, that's what matters.
Hi Foody, the kittens were about six weeks old when I had them. It was great fun having them but they did quite a bit of scratching...me, wallpaper and furniture!
ReplyDeleteI don't believe any of these stories I read. We are all different and have our own likes and dislikes.
I'm not sure about hell....but it was a bit boisterous to say the least.
Lady B. Nice of you to drop in.
The most I have had at any one time is four.
I had two older cats and the two kittens. I always prefer two as I don't feel guilty going out for the day as they have each others company.
Cheers.......Bernard