.
Another quickie today as I'm off out in a minute.
This is about songs that spell out the word as part of the song.
The oldest I have come across is this one below from 1915.
.
.
M-O-T-H-E-R - Howard Johnson 1915
It is a shame that these early songs didn't have attractive covers in colour, but it may have been due to some wartime restrictions.
This next one is from 1928.
.
.
C.O.N.S.T.A.N.T.I.N.O.P.L.E. - Fred Elizalde 1928
Others that come to mind are:-
D.I.V.O.R.C.E. - Tammy Wynette
L.O.V.E. - Nat ‘King’ Cole
H.E.L.P. It’s on the Way - The Beach Boys
K-A-T-I-E. (The Name Spelling Song) - Karl Williams
I believe there was an Abba song, but not sure - Jan?
S.O.S. - Abba
And I'm relying on Annette to confirm the next is correct.
P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Things) - Michael Jackson
I wonder how many there were written and is Constantinople the longest?
O.M.G. look at the time - T.T.F.N.
.

Yes S.O.S. is ABBA.
ReplyDeleteAnd R.E.S.P.E.C.T by the lovely Aretha.
ReplyDeleteThanks Cherie, I wasn't sure.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure I remember that Liz. I shall go off to YouTube for a listen.
Yes, you're right. 1982.
ReplyDeleteNo video was made of that one but you can see it on Youtube
Thanks Annette, I thought I read it somewhere, but wasn't sure.
ReplyDeleteWorst song I remember from childhood: M.I.C.K.E.Y. M.O.U.S.E mickey mouse, mickey mouse dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah dah daah. I must now go and practise something serious and classical to balance that out.
ReplyDeleteIf it wasn't for childhood songs like that...you may never have got interested in music in the first place. :)
ReplyDeleteI have heard it said that young children are turned off music, because of the serious and classical stuff they have to practice. :(
I love Bach now but didn't when I was seven.