.
I had a nice comment on my Fish 'n Chip post, from Kim in Alaska.
She asked:-
"What exactly kind of fish do you use in your area for fried fish? Being a life long Alaskan, beer battered fish and chips is a much beloved recipe in many homes. Halibut is the best fish to use, coated in a delicious Beer batter."
I wonder if, by area, she means the Thames Valley or perhaps England (OK Britain) as a whole?
.

.
Well, when I was a lad in Bournville, it had to be Cod.
We had no Fish 'n Chip shop locally so I had to get on my bike and cycle up to Cotteridge.
I honestly can't remember in the 1950's having any other fish, with our chips, than Cod.
However my research shows the preferred choice of fish to be regional.
Cheshire, Lancashire, South Wales and the West Country used to be Hake country (but the Spanish fishermen soon put a stop to that). Now they have switched to Cod.
Yorkshire is for Haddock of course, whilst down in London they will eat anything that swims - cod, haddock, plaice, skate and of course the infamous “rock”. (dogfish). And not forgetting the famous Eel's and Winkles, although not in batter!
Up in Scotland they fancy small Haddock. (so I'm told - perhaps they can't afford large Haddock?)
Halibut and scampi are sometimes shown on the menu in various areas where there is demand.
.
.
This is an old menu I found from 1971.
I have never come across a 'Pea Fritter' before. I shall get Foody to investigate, I think.
And look at those prices! Wow.
Of course these were the days when chip shops smelt of fish and hot fat, usually lard.
Now days they use oil and they invariably stink of curry and frankfurters!
Now about the batter.
This is not something I have ever tried. Of course in the days before 'packet mixes' everyone had to make their own. My Mother certainly did.
Chip shops in the good old days used to keep their batter mixture recipe a secret.
Every fryer had his own. The secret is not only in the ingredients but also in the aeration of the batter. This was achieved by whisking, or with baking powders or even by adding yeast. This is the reason for adding beer, usually a Guinness - to get air (or CO2) into the batter.
It has to be just right.
A thick stodgy batter will take longer to cook and be doughy inside.
A puffy batter is much favoured by chip shops as it makes the portion look bigger.
A watery mixture will explode when it hit’s the fat.
So what do most people now do? They buy a batter mixture and simply add water.
Well you can't blame them really.

Pea fritter? Sounds very nice. I haven't googled it yet but it does put me in mind of Indian food. I can imagine them squeezing cooked pulses together, coating them and deep frying them. I don't mean samosas; there's some other word which escapes me.
ReplyDeleteThere are the middle eastern falafels which are like chick pea fritters and absolutely delicious. You can buy them in a mix and just add water. Roast in oil in the oven if you don't want to deep fry.
There are all sorts of lentil burgers out there that could easily be adapted as pea fritters.
I rarely ever make batter except for Yorkshire puddings and on Shrove Tuesday. I don't have any kind of deep fryer except a sausepan full of oil. I'm afraid of all the batter just falling off in the oil. I also hate the pockets in the batter that fill up with oil or (lard). It's gotta come out dry for me which makes it to bothersome to even try.
I gave up asing for haddock in chip shops long agoo because you always have to wait so much longer for it than for other fish.
For flavour I prefer Plaice, but anything goes really. Back in the good old days Cod was the most common but I do remember Bream was a substitute if Cod wasn't available. Agree with you about chip shops ... nothing ever stays the same.
ReplyDeleteCrikey, I didn't realise there are so many possibilities. I've always assumed it was cod. I will have to look a bit closer next time round.(That fish in the picture is a cracker. What is it?
ReplyDeleteOh, I think you would be allowed to say England.
ReplyDeleteWinkles. I remember them on the beach. Is that their real name?
Ah!One of the joys of life!! Here it's whiting, hake,snook and some others.Favourite fish for home cooking is the Tommy Ruff..sweet, small and juicy.Delicious post!
ReplyDeleteBattered Haddock is my favourite fish shop choice, I find the flesh that bit more moist and less dense.
ReplyDeleteBut lately I have taken to choosing Scampi when I go to the fish and chip shop!
Good morning all, what a lot of reading for me. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteFoody: I was also going to investigate….Mushy Peas are too mushy unless they mix them with breadcrumbs and then batter them?
I don’t think people had come across ‘Lentil Burgers’ and things like that in 1971.
There weren’t so many vegetarians around then. (well not visibly )
Ah, but if you have to wait for you haddock…at least it’s fresh, and not been kept warm for half an hour!
Valerie, I agree. I have a piece of Sainsbury’s ‘Breaded Chunky Plaice’ every Friday. I know I’m an old Stick-in- the-Mud……but I like tradition.
Hi Ken, I’ve done half-a-bit of a post just for you, today…Wednesday.
Hi again Foody, I’ve done the other half-a-post for you too.
Liz: Snook reminds me of the post WW2 years. It was in the shops here but nobody would eat it. Tommy Ruff is a new one on me? Perhaps it’s a Southern Hemisphere fish?
Hi Cherie. A good choice, but as Foody says…”You always have to wait whilst they cook it”. Make sure you Scampi comes from Scotland…..it should then be fresh rather than frozen.