.
Well, as Foody was interested in the packets in my weekly shop, I shall reveal all.
Not all the shopping, mind you, just the foodie bits.
I don't eat crisps and nibbles and things.....well, I mean I do but I don't make a habit of buying them. However, I am having little visitors on Saturday, and in order to keep up their strength after all the organ cranking I though I had better make a start at getting in a few things that little stomachs require. I need to go out again on Friday.
Yes, great uncle B is having a visit from some of his great nephews and nieces as happened here last year.
I have no idea what these are like.
.
.
I expect Foody will put me right?
Now on a totally different subject........being a pensioner, about this time of the year I am thrilled to get an increase in my state pension.
This year I was informed that I would get a weekly increase of £2.40.
I was asked not to spend it all at once!
This is about £10 per month.
In the same post I had a letter from Thames Water putting up my Direct Debit by £5 per month.
That is just one bill.....and half of it has gone.
They must be living on another planet.
And then, out of sheer generosity, (which does not include me by the way) they invite those over 80 to apply for an extra morsel.
.
.
Note....you MAY be entitled to an extra 25 pence!
.

Very good but to hell with politians. What would happen if NO ONE voted in the next election?
ReplyDeleteWhat the hell's a politian!
ReplyDeleteI mentioned in someone's blog recently that I'd read somewhere ... ... ... that hospitalised psychiatric patients receive the extreme cold weather payment. Crazy? Yes because they live in a centrally heated hospital and have no need to worry about fuel bills. I'm hoping I've picked up the wrong information!! Choose wisely how you spend that extra money, Bernard. xx
ReplyDeleteHobbits! YEAH, I have some of my own although mine are now at the Dwarf stage.
ReplyDeleteGosh, I can't wait to qualify for that huge amount!
ReplyDeleteMAY is a very useful word. You see it all over the place, on food packets, health pills, etc. No-one will go the whole hog and use the word WILL.
I hope you survive the onslaught of the kiddies.I seem to remember you seem to have fairly enjoyed it last year.
ReplyDeleteI haven't tried Sainsbury's crisps mainly because I don't live near enough to any Sainsbury's. It's a few months since I had Monster Munch, but I would buy lots and lots of packets if I were you because I remember they were so full of air you needed about 3 packets before you felt youhad eaten a morsel. Flavours are very strong too, but not objectionably so.
Is that all the foody items in your shop?
Big HMPH! to government about that stupid nonsense. Fancy making people read booklets and apply for what they should be handed anyway! And about the patients gettiing the heating money, yes, daft. They should spend it on wool instead to knit blankets and socks for people who really need them.
Just looked at the snowdrops post. Lovely and lovely poem too. Have never seen a snowdrop but managed to be in England for Spring a couple of years ago and soaked up as much of it as I could - daffodils, tulips, blossom trees, bluebells, wild garlic, wisteria, rhododendrons (?) and finally roses. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful country.
ReplyDeleteHelen
Wow, you must be heady with excitment at your rise in fortunes. Hmmm, a cruise or invest in property? theres a dialemma. hee hee
ReplyDeleteThey are all heart aren't they. I am surprised they didn't keep all that to go with their bonuses!!!
ReplyDeleteVery good news for all you lovely British pensioners, congrats!! I receive a part British pension for all the years I worked for the British economy but don't receive the increases as my pension is fixed at the rate it was first paid.So the value and ammount of my pension goes down every year until maybe in a few years it won't even buy a stamp to let them know they needn't bother.
ReplyDeleteHi Ken:
ReplyDeleteI was wondering that as well. I have no intention of voting for this Liblabcon coalition. All tarred with the same brush if you ask me.
I notice that I am having trouble with spelling. My brain is working faster than my fingers and I keep missing letters out or getting two the wrong way round. I keep typing ‘mention’ as ‘mension’. It must be an age thing.
Mrs S:
Nothing would surprise me these days. I am not sure but I believe retired pensioners living in sunny Spain get the heating allowance as well. On spending, I don’t have a choice …as half has gone on the water bills and the rest will go on council tax!
Morning CJ.
I’m beginning to sound like Reggie Perrin!
Are you a Great Uncle as well then?
Valerie:
Now don’t go wishing your life away, especially for that sort of money! LOL
You are right, no one will promise anything anymore. “May help you loose weight”, “May help to prevent cancer”. When I get a cold…I want something to CURE it. All I can buy is something to “help relieve the symptoms”.
Hi Foody:
I have more shopping to do today. I just made a start on Wednesday…I do things in bits rather than one big shop. I have no idea what today’s ‘tots’ like to get their chops around? It is all junk to me. I suppose I should put out sticks of celery and a bowl of fruit but I’m sure great uncle B would not be very popular.
Hi Helen, thank you for dropping in and I’m glad you liked my pictures.
You are right the climate in England is ideal for many wild flowers. Primroses are next and I shall not have to go far as my garden is usually full of them.
This was a view of a few last year…tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/04/green-green-grass-of-home.html
Kath:
Thank you for giving my snowdrop pictures a mention (spelt it correct this time).
No excitement here I’m afraid. I dread that Bucks Council tax letter which is due anytime now.
Hi Cherie:
Giving anyone a extra 25p is ludicrous in this day and age. How is an 80 year old going to benefit from that? It would hardly keep an electric fire going for 5 minutes!
Liz:
You may not be missing out by not getting increases… as anything we get is immediately gobbled up by inflation. Everyone here is now worse off than they were five years ago, and I don‘t expect a change of government will make the slightest difference either.
Cheers all, off shopping…….Bernard.
Hi there Bernard, popped over via Railway Cottage but I think I have come to the other blog, however it did find me having a good read. My blogging seems to be all about food lately so this was interesting! Also I noticed many familiar places so just goes to show you are a man of taste! Nice to meet you!
ReplyDeleteHello Mrs N. I did notice Kath had put in link to my post on Snowdrops, which I popped up on Monday. I don't do much on food as I'm not a great cook. This blog is all over the place at the moment! It started of on a musical theme but tends to wander with current events...in the news and discussions on other blogs.
ReplyDeleteI see you are on the North Yorkshire Moors.
Ahhhh...steam trains.
Another of my passions.
Nice of you to drop in.
Thanks......Bernard.
25p. wow. I need to start a private pension plan.
ReplyDeleteThat's 25p extra per week when you're 80.
ReplyDeleteI would have thought it cost them ten times more than this to process the payments.