.
Now whilst I collect a great deal of junk, I do prefer to use efficient machines for necessary chores.
I came across this chap who is still using a 81 year old vacuum cleaner - or 'Hoover' as my Mother used to call it (irrespective of the make).
That one in the picture that he is holding was the same as my Mom's - weighed a 'ton'.
I can remember her asking me to lug it upstairs for her, and when she'd 'Hoover'd' all the nuts and bolts from my Meccano set, then I'd have to lug the beast down again!
.

.
Like most 81-year-olds, it is a little dented around the edges and takes its time to get around the house.
But Bill Whitwam's 1929 Hoover Senior is still in perfect running order and has never needed a replacement part.
Mr Whitwam, who at 76 is five years its junior, believes it must be Britain's oldest working vacuum cleaner.
'It comes from an age when things were built to last,' he said.
I will go along with that, up to a point.
I wish many things would last a bit longer.....but not if they no longer perform as they used to.
When you need a 'bit of suck' there's nothing like a powerful 'Hoover'.
But what have here?
This chap seems to have got his 'blow' and his 'suck' mixed up!
.
.
Well I've seen some pretty stupid ideas in my time but this really does take the biscuit.
Firstly...vacuum cleaners suck .......and organ pipes require a bit of blow!
Secondly......think of the noise!!!! Have you ever heard a quiet Hoover???
It looks as if his wife is wearing a hearing aid......so she probably thinks it sounds wonderful.
I wonder what the tune is?.....
......"Where the Bee sucks, there suck I" perhaps?

Personally, I think his wife has either been lobotomised or had a recent visit from a taxidermist!
ReplyDeleteI might have already commented. Lost it smewhere. Sorry if you get two.
ReplyDeleteUntil about 5 years ago we were using a Hoover "Junior Cleaner" in this house.I have always called it "hoover" and "hoovering" even though we have a different make.
I thought you could make hoovers blow outwards by adjusting something, like turning some fan into reverse.
I think wifey looks as if she is just putting up with it.
Looks like an "imp" I had one until a few years ago that I inherited from my Grandfather.
ReplyDeleteBTW - if you are deaf and can't hear noises apart from road drills or jet planes then any noise you hear is wonderful!
Yes, the wife looks very devoted! We just bought one of those Dyson hoovers, which has a ball instead of little wheels. I can't get the hang of it and when it gets up speed, I go racing round the rooms like the "wall of death", randomly sucking up all in my path! :D
ReplyDeleteGood evening Uncle B...thank you for the great comment on my blog...♥ it!!.
ReplyDeleteAnd i remeber that its true what Foody wrote...i remeber...we had a Hoover way back then...that my mother had a kind of bathingcap with a hose attached and in the cap were tiny little holes..she put the cap over her wet hair with the rolls in it and attached the hose on our Hoover.. and when the air came the cap would blow up and she looked a bit like an alien one would say now..i was a bit affraid of her then because it made an awful noise too...but then... i was affraid of her without the cap too..
and i am happy to write that i at least can come on your blogs again...i have tried to comment but it did not work...even when i am writing this now your background isn't there... it take a long time to load your blogs..and if i posted the comments i wrote it would say: page not found...and everything was gone...if i cant place the comment now i will ask Kath if she will be so kind to let you know that i am still alive...and reading your posts...maybe you got the javascript downloaded twice and did not delete the old one...
so...i hope it works...greetings ♥ Francien.
Vacuum cleaners are evil. I hate them. They take up too much space, the head falls off under the middle of the bed, the hose knocks things over, the bag is always full (and you don't have a spare) right when company calls to say they'll be there in an hour, the bag breaks before you get it outside to the trash, etc. I only have one piece of carpet left in the house, and I'm thinking about tearing it out just so I don't have to deal with a vacuum cleaner. They're pretty good for sucking flies of the ceiling in the summer, though, when someone leaves the screen door open.
ReplyDeleteOops, that's "flies OFF the ceiling."
ReplyDeleteTalking of vacuum cleaners Bernard, I bought an IRobot ROOMBA. It's a small round robotic cleaner, that works its way round the room, cleaning and cleaning until all dirt is removed. We went out and left the roomba to get on with it and when we returned it was back in its charger getting ready for the next room. It even cleaned our landing and never fell downstairs. Alas it lost its direction and kept going over and over the same bit. We returned it and received a full refund, but during the time we had it, it was wonderful. Prior to that we always had 'Hoovers' - a Hoover Senior and now a Hoover Junior - ye canny whack them!
ReplyDeleteI’m amazed that a Hoover could attract such interest so thank you all for attempting to get through to my ‘dickie’ site, if indeed it was still playing up. Contrary to what DD said on her blog…..I have done nothing except ….accept a Java update which just popped up. I have no one barred except ‘anons’.
ReplyDeleteCJ: Actually I think it was his sister…..but you comment still applies!
Foody: If they did go into reverse, I have a feeling that the dust would be blown back at you, don’t you think?
DD: Glad you got through OK. If I should be doing something like…..‘system restore’ let me know. I’m no ‘knerd’ or ’greek’ so haven’t a clue what to do about it.
Hi Kath, I bet those Dyson’s are good for sucking up dog hairs though?
Morning Francien: Glad you enjoyed it.
Now my mother had a thing like that…..but…..it was attached to a hair dryer as you required hot air. I’m glad you got through eventually. I wonder if everyone is having the same trouble? I may pluck up courage this afternoon and have a visit to the Java site again. I’d hate to make matters even worse.
Jan: You are certainly right about the hose! It is like fighting with a angry cobra!
I need a good Hoover as I get asthma and have to keep dust down to a minimum, to say nothing of cat hairs all over the place.
The flies must be very slow in California if you can catch them with a hoover snozzle!
Hi Mrs S. I’m glad you can comment here as you and Ken are the only two I can’t get to (using Chrome - IE works though).
Gosh….a robot sounds great. I didn’t know you could buy them. Mind you if I had one I’d have to spend a couple of hours tidying up first!
Thanks all.....Bernard