Saturday, 13 March 2010

"I Wanted to go to Birmingham" . . . . .Really?

.
"Oh! Mr Porter, what shall I do?"
"I wanted to go to Birmingham........in 75minutes!"
.
.
Today's headlines in our local papers tell a sad tale.

"The owners of 440 homes face having their properties demolished to make way for the first stage of a 250mph rail line from London to Birmingham”

The proposed line after leaving London will slice through our beloved Chilterns, an area of outstanding natural beauty.
All of those places that I have been posting about recently are likely to be affected.
Amersham, Great Missenden and Wendover.
Already, as you would expect, the people of these villages are forming protest groups, and rightly so. But what we have here is a proposal, a blueprint and is not being supported by the Conservatives.
A change of government could see a change of plan.
What I am unable to understand is WHY there is a need for a third line to Birmingham? It is certainly not one of our most attractive cities.
.
.
Old Amersham High Street.

We already have a rail service running quietly up through Amersham to Aylesbury.
We already have the Chiltern Line serving Beaconsfield, Wycombe and Princes Risborough. Both can take you on to Birmingham gently and peacefully.
Why this obsession with speed?
Who would benefit from arriving in New Street ten or twenty minutes earlier than at the present?
A few wealthy business travellers, that’s who.
Everything seems to be wrong with this proposal.
Spending £30 billion on another railway line linking cities which are already well linked by road and rail, merely to reduce the time spent in the train for a small minority, is truly stupidity and extravagance on a monumental scale.
We are told it may provide up to 10,000 jobs (for Labour voters), but I believe it to be an utterly pointless waste of effort, a waste of resources and will bring about the destruction of a huge swathe of our already diminishing countryside.
.
.
A back lane in Princes Risborough.

Theresa Villiers, the Tory shadow secretary of state for transport, poured scorn on the plans. She said,
“We have made a clear pledge to the travelling public that we see no point in building a line which only the rich can afford to use. No equivalent promise has been made by Labour.”
“The next Conservative government will begin work immediately to create a high speed rail line connecting London and Heathrow with Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds, with construction to begin in 2015.”
.
.
Peace in Little Missenden.


So friends, a change of government will only bring a change of route and will still upset thousands of people, gobble up millions of square yards of our countryside just so the wealthy can save minutes off their journey to one of the most unattractive cities in Britain.

“Fast trains are like fast food: the wrong diet for healthy growth”


14 comments:

  1. I would be so sorry if this is allowed to happen as the area you write about I know well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank DD. Time will tell....and I can't imagine where they think the money will come from.
    I have been busy getting this up this morning.
    Will get back to you on 'back-ups' etc. soon.
    Just off out to the shops.
    Unc B xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Glasgow we’d have welcomed a rail link from Glasgow Airport to Glasgow City Centre, Bernard, but our stupid, ignorant, First Minister, Alex Salmond (SNP) cancelled it – sacrificed supposedly to make ends meet (in Edinburgh we presume)! In Glasgow we have the Kingston Bridge – the busiest bridge in Europe and it’s very seldom without queues, especially at peak times and in the unfortunate event of a road accident – tailbacks go on forever.

    Having said that, we have the ‘might-is-right’ brigade in Aberdeen in the guise of Donald Trump, who is determined to have his £1billion golf development on the Menie Estate and to hell with the homeowners living there already. A few of these homeowners are having a compulsory purchase order slapped on their property, which kind of reminds us of the Highland Clearances – only this time it’s all courtesy of our First Minister, Alex Salmond (again)!

    England has such beautiful villages – picturesque, idyllic, steeped in history, warm, welcoming and so beautiful when the sun is shining. Let’s hope the people involved fight with all their might to keep their English countryside and villages. It's Britain - but now as we knew it, Bernard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mrs Successful about English villages. They are such an asset to the country. Perhaps they should think of the damage that will be done in terms of loss of revenue from the tourist dollars ( or should I say pounds ) if such delightful areas are spoilt by this project.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What? Donald Trump is over there screwing things up too? Send the dude packing, he's bad news. Maybe we can start an international movement to build a fast train to Mars and give the rich guys who have messed up our economies a one way ticket. Lots of room there for golf courses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too right, give it the thumbs down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mrs S:
    A very sensible requirement considering the trouble people have in getting to, and parking at, airports. You are right - it they have to build new rail-links - put them in where they are needed.
    I’m afraid I haven’t heard of Mr Trump (sounds a bit like a character from Happy Families). Jan, I notice, know about these goings on.
    England does have thousands of beautiful villages …but let’s include the other countries of the UK, in case I get accused of bias.

    Helen:
    It’s all ‘big’ money all the time. I can’t see a development like this paying its way for hundreds of years. I believe the channel tunnel rail link is still running at a loss.

    Jan:
    Is this ‘dude’ from your side of the Atlantic then?
    I don’t know who he is. I suppose I should do a google and find out, but to be honest I don’t think I’ll waste my time. He doesn’t sound a very nice sort of person.

    Thanks Von, thumbs down.
    I’m waiting to hear what Kath has to say, as the proposed line goes a bit too close for comfort to Railway Cottage. (I think - I don’t know exactly her location).

    Thanks all. I have downloaded details and have a map showing the route they want to take. I will keep you informed of decisions and developments.

    Cheers……Bernard

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops, Birmingham is beautiful now! Maybe it wasn't at one time but there have been major and welcome improvements. It is a city to be proud of now. I agree about the rail system though... why is it needed? We can get to London a double quick time now, why do we need et there even quicker. I feel sorry for those who face the terrible upheaval... and FOR WHAT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't see the need for a new line either. I made my way (by train) via Birmingham to the South of London on Friday. I even managed to pick a route that avoided me having to go through London centre. Apart from one small glitch on the way back the journey was quite painless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh up Uncle, here I am, just back from Somerset.Yes, we saw this on the news before we went. My Husband said the same, is there any need? I think it's to do with the "Growth arc" that Aylesbury is having forced upon it's residents, with thousands of new houses, schools and shops to be built on farmland around the town. Local papers are full of residents writing in to ask "But where will these people WORK?". Maybe "Birmingham" is the planners answer?
    I did voice my concerns about the noise, but Husband pointed out that the high speed trains we get through, are pretty quiet, we only tend to hear the trains that slow down (at the station) and pull away again.
    I would be sorry to see it carve it's way through the beautiful farmland.Putting another station in at Haddenham has made a right mess of the local countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It would be awful to carve up yet more of our beautiful countryside.
    Btw, like the new look of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning Valerie:
    I am sure you are right.
    I should not complain as I haven’t been in the City Centre for some thirty years! I shall do a post on Monday for you.

    Hi Cherie:
    Yes, I did read about your trip Clapham Junction. John Betjeman always preferred slow trains, so he could enjoy the countryside. At 250mph you would not see much, would you?

    Hope you enjoyed your weekend off Kath. What bad news to come back to, although nothing is finalised yet about the route. I think you said you were planning to move to Somerset eventually...... so you won’t hear the trains from here! LOL.
    That news on Aylesbury is new to me. This government doesn’t worry about people working. It just borrows billions of pounds and pays them benefits!

    Hi Liz:
    Glad you like it. I thought I needed a change.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are lovely pics, Unc. You do take good ones.
    I do so agree about English villages, from my own personal observation. I think they are unrivalled in their beauty and charm and oldie-wordliness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Foody:
    Nearly missed you down here.
    You are kind about my photos. Thanks.
    (Flattery will get you everywhere! )
    Let's hope the High Speed Trains keep well away from these few villages at least.

    ReplyDelete