.
.
Well I guess I'm not alone in this.
However I notice that the Bank of England has announced that £20 notes with the image of the beloved English composer Sir Edward Elgar will not be legal tender after June 30 this year.
Sir Edward, whose melodies have come to capture a certain type of Englishness, is to be pulped a mere 11 years after he had the honour of gracing the £20 note.
They were introduced in June 1999 along with a view of the west face of Worcester Cathedral.
Previous £20 notes have featured Michael Faraday, and before that William Shakespeare.
Michael Faraday, was an English chemist and physicist (or natural philosopher, in the terminology of the time) who contributed to the fields of electromagnetism and electrochemistry.
William Shakespeare was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist.
He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon".
William Shakespeare managed 23 years in our wallets before he was discontinued from the £20 note.
.

.
Edward Elgar was born in the small village of Lower Broadheath outside Worcester, England to William Elgar, a music dealer, and his wife Anne.
By the age of eight, he was taking piano and violin lessons, and would often listen to his father playing the organ at St. George's church, and soon also took it up. His prime interest, however, was the violin, and his first written music was for that instrument.
Surrounded by sheet music, instruments, and music textbooks in his father's shop in Worcester's High Street, the young Elgar became self-taught in music theory. On warm summer days, he would take scores into the countryside to study them
Thus there began for him a strong association between music and nature. As he was later to say, "There is music in the air, music all around us, the world is full of it and you simply take as much as you require."
At the age of 15, Elgar had hoped to go to Leipzig, Germany to study music, but lacking the funds he instead left school and began working for a local solicitor. Around this time he made his first public appearances as a violinist and organist. After a few months, he left the solicitor and embarked on a musical career, giving piano and violin lessons, and working occasionally in his father's shop.
At 29, through his teaching, he met Caroline Alice Roberts who was eight years older than him. Alice became his wife three years later in May 1889, at Brompton Oratory.
Their only child, Carice Irene, was born at their home in Fulham on 14 August 1890. Carice is a contraction of her mother's names Caroline and Alice.
Now this music reflects my financial situation at the present time.
.

.
Or should that read 'Six new pence'
It is a fitting tribute to science, music and literature that The Bank of England should choose these three outstanding gentlemen to feature on our £20 notes.
From July 1 2010, only notes with the image of Adam Smith, the Scottish economist, will be legal tender.
I wonder how many people know who this economist is, or have even heard of him?
Oh well. I suppose we have to be grateful it wasn’t Herman van Rumpy-Pumpy with “all the charisma of a damp rag“.
.

No Uncle, you are not alone as I have a lot of Elgar's music. Actually, I know we have the one eyed son of the manse at number 10 but why should English people have an unknown Scottish bloke on our £20 notes? Come to think of it I don't remember when a £20 was in my wallet so I doubt if I'll be seeing him.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful quote from Elgar!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting, I have learned about Elgar today.We used to sing the sixpence song at school, but we would have been very fortunate to have a sixpence to spend, I used to get a threepenny bit if I was good!
ReplyDeleteThe new addition is obviously I sign of the times! How sad...
ReplyDeleteIs that the song that has....
ReplyDelete"tuppence to spend
and tuppence to bend
and tuppence to take home for my wife"?
At ballroom dancing classes when I was young we used to dance the Gypsy Tap to it!
I think that really shows my age.
Cheers
Helen
A very informative post.
ReplyDeleteI had heard of Adam Smith but I didn't know who he was.
Hi DD:
ReplyDeleteI hardly get my sticky mittens on £20 notes either. It’s all small change these days. Anything over £15 is usually paid by plastic. Now you mention it - I wonder what the Bank of Scotland put on their £20 notes?
Very true Von, I liked that quote as well.
Sixpence was a lot then Kath. A Beano comic 2d, gob-stoppers 2d and penny chews. Mom gave us boys pocket money set on our ages. When I was nine I got nine-pence and my brother had five-pence. It didn’t really matter as we always shared comics. It was just that whoever bought it, got first read!
True Cherie: Economists and accountants rule us all nowadays!
Hi Helen:
Yes, that’s the one.
"Tuppence to last me all my life!"
I haven’t heard of the Gypsy Tap. Is it a country dance of a tap dance?
“Did you hear about the Irishman who took up tap dancing? He had to give it up when he slipped into the washbasin and broke his ankle!”
Hi Foody:
I had never come across his name before, but Adam Smith does not sound very Scottish, does it?
I agree. It sounds just British. It's not stereotypical, just as you don't have to be called Siencyn Jones to be Welsh or Pongo Twistleton to be English.
ReplyDeleteReally interesting and lovely blog relating to Elgar - always learning something from Bernard - excellent! I particularly enjoyed learning the contraction of their only daughter's name, Carice - sounds just like a musical composition of his.
ReplyDeleteI can understand why Devonshire Dumpling would prefer something English on her £20 notes - quite rightly too. However, perhaps the reason Adam Smith was chosen to feature on English £20 notes is because he wrote "THE WEALTH OF NATIONS", which I'm sure many of your readers will have heard of - if not Adam Smith himself. Happy for all those unwanted £20 notes to be sent North to me - I'll be waiting with open arms.
Scottish £20 notes feature as follows:
Bank of Scotland: Forth Road Bridge and Sir Walter Scott
Royal Bank of Scotland: Brodick Castle and Lord Ilay
Clydesdale: Robert the Bruce & Bannockburn
Thanks for sharing all your knowledge Bernard - haven't been posting or reading recently, so glad to put in my tuppence worth today. xx
I didn't realise that the Gypsy Tap wasn't a world wide ballroom dance. We don't have gypsies here so it must come from somewhere else. It's a bit barn dance-ish I guess. Definitely old time stuff, not done at all these days when dancing means you don't have to have a partner.
ReplyDeleteHelen
Hi Foody:
ReplyDeleteThis nationality ‘thing’ is getting a bit sensitive at times. I always now hesitate before putting pencil to paper. Have the PC brigade poisoned our freedom of speech?
I am sure there are thousands of Mr Smiths born in countries all over the world.
My Surname came from Swansea but I am no more Welsh than you are.
Mrs S:
Thank you for this interesting comment. I do hope my readers come back and get a read of it, especially the bit about the pictures on the Scottish £20 notes.
I also enjoyed reading up on Elgar and how they arrived at their daughters name.
I wonder if it could catch on with today’s youngsters?
Hi Helen:
It’s a ballroom dance then? Amazing that it is not well known in the UK.
Or is it just me? It certainly does not get a mention in any of my music books.
I have a friend who goes Old Tyme Dancing… I’ll have to ask him, although as you say it may originate from the American barn dances.