.

.
Foody asked the other day, what we thought people in the future would find funny?
I have often wondered that myself.
Over my sixty odd years of life I have seen many changes in humour.
I believe real humour is dead or driven underground. Killed off by the PC brigade.
The late Bernard Manning used to have a joke - 'I once got the sack for laughing.' Then after a silence he admitted: 'I was driving a hearse.'
It was a sad joke really, for in the end Manning really did get the sack for laughing. His brand of humour was considered too sexist, too racist, too just-about-everything-ist for today's po-faced Britain.
Ban jokes about Mother-in laws.
Ban jokes about the English, Irish and Scots.
Ban jokes about the bald and the short and the tall.
What have we left?
Grown men making childish faces at the camera and expecting a laugh. Jokes today are lavatorial, crude and vulgar while at the same time being somehow shamelessly politically correct.
.

.
As children we would laugh at anything and what a happy childhood we had.
Mr Pastry and Billy Bunter for a start. It was OK to laugh at a fat boy then, but now taboo.
Mind you with all this childhood obesity, perhaps a few jokes would get them to lose a bit of weight.
I don’t like jokes about disabilities though. At school there were unfortunately quite a few of these.
Now jokes about the Irish, English and the Scots - and any other group for that matter I like - and don’t get offended in the slightest. I have always though that the one thing a true Brit has - is the ability to laugh at himself.
I have no hair on my head; Do I get upset at jokes about bald men; Not in the slightest.
Do Mother-in- Laws really get upset? No, because they know what is said is an exaggeration and is only a joke.
Do the Scots get upset about money jokes? Mrs Successful tells me not.
In Ireland, the jokes are made about Kerry men. In other parts of Europe the same jokes are made about Poles. It would be a mad world if we really thought that Irish people or Poles were really more stupid than the rest of us.
But never to make such jokes is actually very patronising to whichever group you are allegedly trying to protect.
It implies that all Irish people, or all Kerry men - are such wimps, and so in need of protection, that you must never, in any circumstances, make jokes about them.
I would much rather live in a world where comedians sometimes 'go too far', than in a tight-lipped dictatorship where you do not dare to make a joke because someone else will think it 'totally unacceptable'.
As they used to say in that soon to be lost “Reader’s Digest”… .
Laughter really is the best medicine.
Humour should not need censorship.
Jokes sometimes are cruel.
Let’s have a laugh and see if us men get upset?
“Men are like carpet tiles. If you lay them right the first time, you can walk all over them for years.”

Out here Aussies make up jokes about New Zealanders ( often involving sheep !!!)and no doubt they make up jokes about us. I think the world is a sad place if you can't see the funny side of life and b*** political correctness.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Personally I think you are better off not taking yourself too seriously. My Irish husband likes a "paddy" joke as much as the next man. I saw a comedian on TV and he said his rule is not to tell a joke that he would baulk at telling if that person was in front of him.
ReplyDeleteLoved this post, Bernard. I have a thing about current humour and wish we could go back to the good old days when humour was humorous. It seems now that nothing is considered funny if it isn't near the knuckle or contains four letter words. Stand-up comics were really comical in my day... the PC brigade has a lot to answer for.
ReplyDeleteGood evening Uncle B.,
ReplyDeleteDutchman have their share of good and bad jokes too...but i think if you are "grompy"by nature you can't laugh at any joke without feeling attacked by the joke and the one who,s telling it..
and nobody seems to listen anyway in these days..rushing to get more of..well anything they get there hands on excually...so no more spontanious laughing or time to listen to a joke or tell one...i am glad that i still can do that...
my favorite song is "smile"by Micheal Jackson...i start the day of with this song..the best medicine for me...
I got two little jokes from my "commanbook"...and yes...about men ofcourse...
Why is psychoanalysis a lot quicker for men than for women?
When it's time to go back to his childhood... he's already there
When a car skidded on wet pavement and struck a telephone pole... several bystanders ran over to help the driver. A woman was the first to reach the victim... but a man rushed in and pushed her aside. "Step aside... lady.." he barked. "i've taken a course in first-aid!"
The woman watched for a few minutes.... then tapped him on the shoulder. "Pardon me.." she said. "But when you get to the part about calling a doctor... i'm right here."
Keep laughing... it will do you
good!!
greetings Francien.
Good post. Grrr to the PC brigade.
ReplyDeleteI like outrageous, gone too far humour too. That's why I like Frankie Boyle.
Helen:
ReplyDeleteFunny you should mention that, the English make up jokes about the Welsh and a very similar woolly animal. I’m sure jokes like this are told the world over.
I wonder if other countries have this PC agenda?
Kath:
You have an Irish hubby, does that mean you have an Irish surname.
Kath O’Hara perhaps.
Actually I quite like Mary O’Hara’s singing and harp playing.
I have a harp similar to hers.
That is the trouble that comedians have…..they stand up in front of a ’mixed’ audience and try not to offend anyone! So what they offer is very bland.
Hi Valerie:
I knew you would be with me on this. The original write-up I did was much longer. There is so much wrong today and I seem to spend hours just wishing we could turn back the clocks again and have a good old laugh like we used to.
Good morning Francien:
Most of this PC nonsense around now, is because all our countries are changing. This is because of the movement of people from their country of birth to others with different cultures. What we find funny, others don’t, and vica versa.
I believe that “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”.
If some one doesn’t like our sense of humour - they have no right to try and change it.
They should “Put up or shut up!” don’t you think?
Thanks for the jokes.
That’s true…..men never go up. Well I like playing with model steam trains!
I do hope my visitors get down to reading the comments….they may miss out on your excellent jokes.
Good morning Foody.
Gosh, you were up late last night. At a quarter to midnight I had been asleep for three hours.
Where does the law stand on PC?
What I mean is…To avoid arrest, I have to be ‘legally correct’ but surely I cannot be punished for not being ’morally correct’ or ’politically correct’?
I don’t think I need to be PC at all…..I’m not a politician am I?
Cheers all..............Bernard