.
When I was ten, my 'pocket money' was ten old pennies (10d = 4p in 'funny' money).When I was eleven I got a penny rise!
In those days, us boys didn't have worry about inflation and rising prices.



That extra penny meant an extra gob-stopper or the ability to buy the 'Eagle'.
Comics in my early days were nearly always the 'Dandy' or the 'Beano'. Sometimes I would buy 'Film Fun' for a laugh at Laurel & Hardy. These only cost 2d, and there was more left over for sweets.
Now the 'Eagle' which I preferred cost 3d.....it was a comic for big boys with real money!
.

.
Was it Dan Dare that interested me?
No, it was those cut-away pictures in the centre fold.
They were cut away to show how things worked, trains, planes and boats.
I just loved them. I now have a book which contains about fifty of these fascinating drawings.
Above are just two.
I loved science and mechanics and as I got into my teens I left comics behind and bought magazines like Railway Modeller and Practical Mechanics (re: another post).
Last week I was watching those programs on the history of the chemical elements and this week tried to watch a program about photography, and capturing very fast movements with cameras.
I said ‘tried’ there for the whole program was a constant swirl of epilepsy inducing flashes, fast lights and pop-ups.
I gave up half way through!
Why does every programme have to have all those fast-forwarded bits and pieces, bursting and fissing?
It's very annoying, it drives me mad!
It reminds me of those days of Comics, where every movement was accompanied by a ’Wizzz’, ‘Pow!’, ’Zapp!’ or ’Clunk’.
.

.
Even ‘Gardener’s World’ had succumbed by flashing up a blank white screen between views and attaching a sound resembling a ‘Fissst’! (Sorry, don’t do sounds).
.

.
And as if that was not bad enough someone at the beeb has decided to abolish silence. You will be extremely lucky to go for longer than 10 seconds without some so-called music in the background. Except that it's not even in the background. It's in the foreground, because more often than not it's louder than the narrator's voice. And it's got absolutely sweet FA to do with the content of the programme.
Every single British programme is now being shot in the style of a 2-minute promo for the next edition of The News of the World.
The world went a good fifty years with cameras being held steady, nice and horizontal for longer than a second. Memorable films, programmes and documentaries were made. I'm not saying that everything should look like the Weather Forecast. They can still experiment, like many film directors did for decades without turning everything into something resembling a rock festival.
OK, so I am a Grumpy Old Man.
I hope you all have a quiet and peaceful day
.

AH, Happy Days Bernard,like you I was interested in the "cut aways", and I agree Re; the flashing factor on TV, as well as the 140 Db adverts that shatter glass.
ReplyDeleteWelcome to the Grumpy old men club:)
And Grumpy Chicken Club.
ReplyDeleteThose loud crashing and fizzing noises annoy me too, and the ocnstant 'background' loud music and hurled images. The Radio Times is full of comaplints about it but they never do anything about it.
I also hate the way they shout annoncements while the credits go up, and the way the sound between programmes is much louder than the programmes, and the way they constantly throw previews at you of all the upcoming programmes.
I thought you didn't have telly, or do you watch onyour computer?
Hey, did you send em a comment? Somebody did and I automatically published it without reading it, and now I can't find it.
Can't click toenlarge photo to see badges on waistcoat but I think that's the Kipper there, 3rd from bottom.
Uncle B
ReplyDeleteI haven't had a TV for many years, but when I'm in a motel I turn it on. Even on animal shows, they play the same 3 or 4 second clip, the "exciting" part of the show, over and over again. They mix up the sequence of events to "tell a tale." I can't begin to follow the stories, it's just a mish mash. They say that's done because the young people nowdays don't have a long attention span. The young people I know are just fine, thank you. I think they do it - and add music in inappropriate places - because they're just incompetent.
Hi Angus:
ReplyDeleteI thought you were too young to be in the same league as me. Well you look young on your photo.....or perhaps that is not you?
My photo is not me either!
If you like those cut-aways, as I say there is a whole book full of them. Whether it's still in print, I know not.
Hi Foody:
It's the young trendy engineers! Just because they have the technology, they think they have to use it!
Telly? No, I haven't had a TV since I retired seven years ago (2003). I got rid of it for several reasons....but mainly because I didn't watch anything!!!
Yes, now I watch a couple of items a week on
i-player on the computer. It's better than TV as you can fast forward past the bits you don't like.
The 'lost comment' was not mine.
Sorry the 'enlarge' feature didn't work..it should if the original picture is larger than the blogger one.
Me??? Why would you want to see little me.
I appear on one of my old posts, cranking an organ at Marsworth. You must have missed it.
Hi Jan:
As I was telling Foody, I've been without a TV for seven years now. Never missed it. The blogs sometimes link to programs and I sometimes download scientific or travel programmes.
I think you may be right about the 'attention span'. They always seem to dumb thing down to the 'LCF'. The Lowest Common Factor.
That means anyone above this baseline is bored to tears. We are just to bright to watch this rubbish Jan.
Join The Grumps Bernard! So much to grump about, it's a field day!But must go my geese are grumping because they need letting out to start their day.
ReplyDeleteAlas Bernard, time has marched on, the photo is of myself, taken in 1971 at the age of 20.
ReplyDeleteVon:
ReplyDeleteI am beginning to think that 'grumps' are becoming the majority. There are soooooo many people fed up with soooo many things these days.
I have yet to meet someone happy with the way things are.
Angus, I should have guessed by that hairstyle!
Oh my, I've caught myself out again wondering why on earth I am being replied to when I have not posted a comment.
ReplyDeleteThe problem is that I am Yvonne, known to friends and family as Von and on a lot of websites (whatever name I use) the fellow members who know my name reply to Von or sometimes Vonnie. On your blog we have someone with the very sensible auspicious name of Von who comments (is she an Evonne or an Yvonne?) and I keep seeing replies to her and thinking its replies to me. I may go by the name of DD but most people call me Von so its easy for a pea brain like me to get confused - especially when 'your' Von thinks like I do and posts what I would but replies exactly as I would have done had I got there first.
Whatever way her name is spelt she's got a very sensible name, even if it confuses the living daylights out of me when I think I'm being replied to and see comments to me before I realise that its comments to her.
Long may the Evonne's - Yvonne's - Von's - or Vonnie's reign supreme on this planet but seriously I think that we should get our heads together and distinguish ourselves as Von1, Von2 etc.
Hi DD.
ReplyDeleteYou are always DD to me on this site as that is how you start your comment. I know you are a 'Von' or Yvonne, but I don't use that name here.
The Von who comments is an Australian lady who used to call herself 'GooseBreeder'. Someone on her blog called her Liz, so I did the same. Her blog is 'eagoodlife', so I expect the e is for Elizabeth. I used to reply to all her comments as 'Liz'. Whether or not she got confused, I know not, but the 'GooseBreeder' name disappeared, she commented as 'Von'.
I therefore dropped the 'Liz' and called her 'Von'.
Perhaps Von D, from Devon and Von A from Australia etc.
You are so observant, Bernard. Hahaha - loved your wee moan! I thought Ken was the Grumpy Old Man. I completely agree with your observations. I really enjoy watching dancing - for example 'Lord of the Dance' and I like to watch the feet or arms of the person I like to watch - not the tricks and skills acquired by a cameraman with his swirls/cuts/and zooming in and out. The days we love are gone, Bernard - gone I say. We shall relive and enjoy them through columns such as yours and appreciate you till your memory conks out! xx
ReplyDeleteSilence is golden! I guess I am a grumpy old/YOUNG woman ;-)
ReplyDeleteMorning Mrs S.
ReplyDeleteYes, Ken is the 'original' GOM! I am just a trainee. It is as you say, frustrating to be watching the detail, when the cameraman pans away to something irrelevant.
I don't mind change, if it is a change for the better. Change today always seems to be a dumbing down. I don't see many things changing for the better. Medical advance - yes. But very little in music and art.
Hi Cherie:
I am planning a post on silence:
"The Sound of Silence"
Do you remember? Simon & Garfunkel.
"The Sound of Silence"? My theme song, innit! hahahaha
ReplyDeleteHi Dumpling:
ReplyDeleteDifficult to know how to reply to that Von, except to say that I'm sorry to know that you can't fully enjoy this, and all those other great songs from Simon & Garfunkel.
(((Hugs)))..Bernard.