Monday, 1 March 2010

School Days

.
I first started school around 1946, when I was about 4 or 5, can‘t remember exactly but I do remember walking to school, even at that age. Even in the rain I was kitted out with a bright yellow Sou’wester, and I can remember being teased about it.
“Only girls wear rain hats” they jeered. I was too young to retaliate with a reference to our brave Lifeboat crews.
Later on, I moved to ‘big’ school and even though it was a mile away, my brothers and I still walked. There was a bus service however and on wet days mother would put pennies down inside our gloves for the bus fare. In those days there were 240 pennies in a Pound. That is one ‘hell of a lotta‘ bus rides.
All children walked or went on the bus ……. and nearly all went unaccompanied.
How things have changed.

This ‘big’ school was the one I wrote about here, where I worked my way up to the top class in the top of the tower.
That would have been 1952 and I would have been ten and getting in some practice for that fearful thing called the 11+.
I do remember we were given practice tests, pages and pages of groups of shapes and asked to ‘ring’ the odd one out. And rows of words with one spelt incorrectly…..a series of numbers and asked to name the next in the series. The one's I did best at were those with gear wheels and levers. In a group of five or six gears - if the first went anti-clockwise, which way did number six go?

Well this practice all paid off and I got a place at Grammar School.
There seemed plenty of schools around in those days. No-one had to travel very far. You could always walk to school, or if you were one of the lucky ones, with a bike, cycle. The Kings Norton Grammar was actually nearer to home than the junior school, but by then, I had a bike so unless the chain broke I never had to walk.
I preferred the bike - as after school you could ‘bomb’ off for miles instead of going straight home.
.
.
The only picture I could find of me on my bike was in fact, of me on my first tricycle way back in the forties. (That spot was not on my nose, but on the camera lens)

I was trying to remember what music was popular when I was eleven and managed to find a “Top Twelve” listing for the UK on 14 Nov 1952.

I found quite a few copies in my collection but there are several in the list I have never heard of.
.
.
How many of you can remember any of these?

1 Here in my Heart - Al Martino
2 You Belong to Me - Jo Stafford
3 Somewhere Along the Way - Nat ‘king’ Cole
4 Isle of Innisfree - Bing Crosby
5 Feet up - Guy Mitchell
6 Half as Much - Rosemary Clooney
7 Forget Me Not - Vera Lynn
7 High Noon - Frankie Laine
8 Sugarbush - Doris Day & Frankie Laine
8 Blue Tango - Ray Martin
9 Homing Waltz - Vera Lynn
10 Auf Wiederseh’n - Vera Llynn
11 Because Your Mine - Mario Lanza
11 Cowpuncher’s Cantata - Max Bygraves
12 Walking my Baby Back Home - Jonnie Ray

Number 4 interested me as I had never heard of the Isle of Innisfree, in fact it looked misspelled. I checked it out and you can find out about the song here.

And for those who are wondering how the day went on Saturday.......
.
.
It went with a Bang!!
.
(PS Foody, the Mighty Munches were not eaten....they wanted Pizza's)
.


12 comments:

  1. The only song on your list that I know is The Isle of Innifree. I sometimes sing it on rare visits to folk singarounds.

    And I too walked to school. We lived about a mile and a half away and at 5, I was put on the bus, told which stops to ask for, and crossed a main A road, all on my own. I started walking quite soon afterwards when I realised I could spend the bus money on sweeties. Always a foody, see! I walked from then right up to age 18. All this was later than in your time but obviously before the school run really took off. It's a pity they can't do this now. If they would walk in groups and have stranger danger drummed into them, I personally can't see why not.

    Glad you had fun with the kiddies and now you can munch all the Monster Munch yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminded me of when we got the letter to say I had "passed". Far from being delighted, my parents were more concerned about the cost of the uniform, which in those days, could only be bought at great expense, from a specialist outfitters. I think I still have my school beret with "school crest" badge....
    I agree tho, we all wandered, unsupervised, across the fields to visit aunts and no-one worried in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I walked to school too- and home again. It was an important part of our social life. We'd walk a bit to a certain corner with a little seat under a shady tree and sit and talk a while then part company with our mates and walk the last bit alone.
    And in those days lots of Aussie ( well Queensland anyway ) kids went to school with bare feet! That's the way they liked it, not because they didn't have shoes. Mainly boys I have to say and absolute murder on hot bitumen parade grounds where we assembled before class and marched into school swinging our arms and marching to loud band music over the loudspeaker system.
    Ah, those were the days !
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, walked to school; in my early days there was no traffic to worry about and no predators! Unfortunately I remember ALL those songs ... grins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too remember the joys of walking to and from school in my younger years. The senior school was to far away for that though and in the morning my Dad did a big round of taking us to school and Mum to work before getting to his own workplace. In the evening we caught the bus home and walked the final distance from the bus stop.

    Saturday looks like it was a lot of fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5&11 are not familiar.Walking to school was, rain or shine.Down through the bush track where snakes lived, lizards and other creatures.Meeting my friends on the road and then onwards, about a mile probably from age 5 on my own.Wellybobs and raincoat in Winter, fun in puddles on the way home.Then at 11 after the eqivalent of the 11+ off to High School, same one as our venerable Deputy Prime Minister and various other assorted noteables.Hated most of it except Botany and Art, English and hiding during Sports.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Uncle B..
    Your lovely post brings back memories again....and yes...my brother and i walk to school too...4 times a day...because we had one hour pause between dayparts...we went from 8,30 till 12.30 and 1.30 untill 4.30...most of the time i stayed that hour on the streets because it was to far to went home...i stayed most of the time after school too outside or at a girls house untill 6.oclock untill we were aloud to go in to the house..my father had arrived by then and there was dinner then...no tea and cookies for us at before that..after that we go out again for a hour or two doing everything we should not do like playing and making litte fires in the woods..tryed and catche some animals.....but also other very much fun things like playing with marbles...changing all sorts of images etc...it was a great time...dont know if kids enjoy it somuch today like we did back then..they never play out it seems...sitting in front of the tv or pc or whatever its called...
    what a handsome boy you were on your tricicle..i never had a bike..my brother came first...

    and yes..i remeber some of the music too...my parents were mad about Vera Lynn...but more the songs "we'll meet again" and "the white cliffs of Dover"..a.s.o..remember Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra too..

    I hated sports too...i was to skinny and tall..so i felt ashame in my swimmsuit...and it made my mother angry sometimes because nothing of the cloths were fitting realy well..but then..i hardly was getting any new clothes...we were to poor..so she had to change the ones she was getting from others and they came with lots of patches and ribbons to make them fit...maybe thats why i like patcwork somuch...lol....she should see me now...not so skinny anymore and using patchwork only in quilts...she would be proud....maybe...


    have a great week...greetings Francien.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Foody:
    You do surprise me that you only know one of those. I know you weren’t around in 1952, but I thought some of these song were being re-issued on CD’s.
    I live near a school and at 3:30 my road is full of mothers/cars waiting to take the children home. Of course they may live five miles away.
    I gave them the Monster Munch to take home - they didn’t appeal to me. :)

    Kath:
    As you are a great ‘mover’ I wonder where your school was? Come on, show us a little Kath in her school uniform.
    (not that I’m ‘into’ uniforms or anything like that ) :D
    My parents were also concerned about the cost. It was not only the uniform, there was all the sports gear as well.

    Helen:
    Those were the days - as you say. I suppose in many parts of Australia children had to travel many miles to school?
    Bare feet? Was it because they had no shoes or just a trendy thing to do? They must have had soles like leather…..and what about treading on a snake or spider? No thanks…I’d have long trousers and tuck the bottems in my socks!

    Valerie:
    Less traffic, that’s for sure. Just after the war there were still loads of deliveries made by horse and cart. Milkman. baker, coalman and laundry all had horses. Mainly Co-op if I remember correctly.

    Cherie:
    So far in these comments, everyone had walked to school. We must have been a healthy bunch in those days. I can remember having less food than now but more exercise. I must try to go back to that regime…. I need to lose weight.

    Liz:
    I have to admit there were quite a few I didn’t know, however I sometimes recognise a tune without knowing the title.
    Was this in Australia with these snakes and things or here in UK?
    I like that word ‘Wellybobs’...a new one to me.
    I also used to hide to get out of cross-country running. Hated it.

    Francien:
    Good morning to you as well.
    I was just admiring your mosaic on your blog, but was lost for words! I shall think of something, I’m sure.
    We didn’t start lessons until 9:00 and stayed there all day. In those days you could get a school dinner for 6d. Mom would give up 2/6d on a Monday for five day’s dinners.
    I think I may to a post on School Dinners next. LOL.
    Like you we played in the woods but weren’t allowed to ‘play with matches’.
    We always played in ponds and streams and came home soaking wet. We always went too far into the water and it filled our wellies with water!
    No telly, no PC…. We just had to invent games. They were good days.
    Todays children are really missing out I think.
    Vera Lynn was very popular around that time and was known as ‘The Forces Sweetheart’. She was very attractive in those days.
    I was lucky with clothes as being the eldest I had the new ones which were then ‘handed down’ to my younger brother Colin, and then in turn down again to poor old Adrian. It was just as well we didn’t have an older sister at the time!!!!!

    Thank you all for such interesting comments.
    Just off to the market in Thame for some faggots and home made sausages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great as always. Two eleven plus questions I remember.
    George Washington was born, married and died in the house he built himself. Which one could not be true.
    Yesterday, today was tomorrow. true or false. (See the top of my blog.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny enough Uncle, thats the first thing my Dad said (with a look of horror on his face) "You'll have to have a hockey stick!".
    I see you were off to Thame for your offal. The butchers in Risborough was selling "Bacon badger" before christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the way, my school was in Middlesex,alas, neither the school,nor the county exist nowdays.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Middlesex does exist....it has a County Cricket team. You must have heard of the MCC?
    I refuse to give up ANY English Counties.
    Come on .....dig out a piccie of young Kath.

    ReplyDelete