Sunday, 21 March 2010

So Noses at the Ready!

.
After a run of serious posts I’ve decided to lighten things up a bit.
Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for you, my ‘joke folder‘ is currently empty.
So I shall resort to some humour from the past, which has me in stitches, but I suppose many will find silly rather than funny.
The gentleman in question was Billy Bennett.
.
.
Billy Bennett 1887-1942

Bennett was born in 1887 and first became a stand-up comic during the First World War entertaining the troops in the canteens. On leaving the Army he did in fact go on to the Music Hall stage as a soldier act, still wearing khaki in front of the footlights.
This costume was to become more and more ridiculous in its appearance.
He was chiefly famous for his monologues in which he threw common sense overboard so that although extremely silly, they were certainly not predictable or boring.
He would start off with the lines…..

“Friends, Romans, countrymen,
Lend me your ears,
Because I have a story to tell.
Lend me your ears;
If you’ve not got them with you,
You’re noses will do just as well.”

So noses at the ready!

To the bar of a Thousand Flat Ales,
From the ship came a conjuring man;
A Celenese from over the seas,
By the name of Hugh Pi Kan.

In the bar each night, the Chinks he’d delight,
And out of a Chinese caddy,
He’d bring three rabbits (two bucks and a doe),
And he’d ask them to ‘find the lady’.

He’d bring oranges out of his nostrils
And present them as souvenirs;
He’d bring flowers and plants from out of his pants,
And raspberries from out of his ears.

Poor Wong-Wong fell for his magic;
For Hugh Pi Kan’s love she was yearning,
And Uncle Wun-Lung said to Auntie Who-Flung,
“Wong-Wong’s going to take the wrong turning.”

.
.
When the bar was closed and Limehouse dozed,
Uncle watched and Aunt kept nix,
They saw the yong man called Hugh Pi Kan,
Showing Wong-Wong his box of tricks.

With a yell that woke all Limehouse,
Wun-Lung drew his snicker snee;
He stabbed Wong-Wong in her em-bong-pong,
And sliced Pi Kan’s vertebrae.

Then he tied both their pigtails together,
And the pair in the river he threw.
As they floated away tied together,
He sang “I’ll string along with you”.

.
.
All is silent in Limehouse causeway,
There is nothing but pea soup fog,
It’s so thick you can’t see the lamp-posts,
That’s tough luck for a limping dog.

And that is the story of Wong-Wong,
For a floating corpse is she,
With her conjuring man from Suckitan,
Who sailed o’er the Suckitan Sea.

.
.

11 comments:

  1. Enjoyable post, Bernard.
    You daft pie can... was an expression often used when I was a child. I assumed it was thus spelt, but it could have been Pi Kan ... unless you have other ideas. I'm wondering now.
    Funny men were really funny in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard those before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear old George Formby, funny and somehow innocently saucy. Unlike the course and offensive "humour" we are offered nowdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Billy Bennett, though I've never heard of him, must've had a good sense of humour and a great imagination. He must've had pretty good diction too for his audiences to understand his 'fancy' monologues. I'm sure he would be very flattered to know his words are being read today - there was no BBC iPlayer in his day Bernard. Fun posting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valerie:
    Yes, you've got me interested now. My favourite was "Uncle Wun Lung" (one lung)! I bet these were popular sayings around that period. Perhaps from the war. Soldiers may have had their food from a pie can? Or perhaps steak pies came in cans (tins)?

    Cherie:
    I have a very old crackly recording (on tape).
    Billy died the year I was born and would have been popular in the 1920's. Before our time :)

    Hi Kath:
    I have found that as I get older, I do go back to laughing at the silly things we laughed at as children. I used to like Edward Lear and to this day love "nonsense verse".

    Hi Mrs S.
    I bought a tape, many years ago called "Monologues and Comic Songs". I have probably had it thirty years now, but it always makes me laugh, even though I know the words. It was the way they told them, or the way it was sung. I must check out YouTube to see if there is any of his bits on there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bit about the bar being closed while Limehouse dozed has HUGE overtones of the song in The Mikado with a snicker snee and cutting cleanly through his cervical vertebrae. "The Criminal Cried" I think it starts.

    I so agree with Kath and it's all so eloquent as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uncle, this 'ere organ, my hubby has been asking about it and I can't remember. Do you play it with fingers on a keyboard or is it a windy-up one that uses punched rolls to play its music? I do believe it's the latter because I think you have shown photos of your hole puncher. Am I right?
    You talk of grinding so it's gotta be, innit?
    (Don't know why I have gone all so saouff-east all of a sudden).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Foody,
    I thought that as well. You don't often come across the word 'snicker-snee' do you.
    G&S would have got in first because Billy Bennett would have written this around 1920-ish.
    I have quite a bit of his 'nonsense' monologues.

    On the organ details.
    It is 26 note paper roll version.
    I arrange all my own music and punch all my own rolls. I have written all about it months ago - over on the other blog (tracker-bar).
    It is still going and here are some links.
    (copy and paste)
    tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/12/12-days-of-christmas.html
    tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/03/hole-punching.html
    tracker-bar.blogspot.com/2009/04/no-chocolate-bars-here.html
    There are loads of musical bits from YouTube, which I know you can't play at work, like that
    "12 days of Christmas" one. That is not me playing, but I put that one up as the organ is the same as mine and as he has taken the front off, you can see it working.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the memories as my Father who had one lung used to call himself Wun-Lung who always (with no encouragement)tended to speak in a chinese accent when he was trying to be very serious. I also inherited a Mother who went by the name of low-slung-titties.

    I was in my mid teens before I finally appreciated the joke:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unc, I do remember the post but I fiud these things very hard to return to because the titles don't always reveal what's in the post so thanks for the links.
    Now, which of these pictures on the right is you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi DD.
    I'm glad to see you are winning with your laptop and slow connection. :)
    My Dad had two lungs, but when he had a bad cough, he used to say that he "was only firing on one cylinder". A ref: to twin cylinder motorcycles no doubt.

    Hi Foody;
    Sorry I missed your comment on B'ham. I have replied now. (I must remember to check previous posts).
    You are right about the titles. Sorry.
    I must do something about my "Labels".
    Those bits at the bottom of each post. I think if you click on them, it should list all the posts with identical 'Labels'. It should work but I'm not sure that the posts have the correct ones. :(

    ReplyDelete