.
.
My Spring Garden
When we were at Junior school there was, at the back of the class, a ‘Nature Table’.
In the Spring there would be jam-jars full of Catkins (Hazel) and ‘Pussy Willow’ twigs. Later would come sprigs of ‘Sticky Buds’ (Horse Chestnut) and in the Autumn the table would be covered with berries, acorns, conkers, hips and other wild fruits.
And I can remember being taken on ’Nature Walks’. A long snake of children would weave it’s way out of the school gates and down into Bournville Park.
In pairs, and if I remember correctly we were supposed to hold hands when walking along pavements. Once in the park we were sent off to find wild flowers and such things. In those days there were no restrictions on picking wild flowers. Even bird’s eggs were not protected as they are today and sometimes the Nature Table would contain an old dilapidated bird’s nest.
We also used to take in jam-jars of frogspawn: I can remember the tadpoles but can’t recall a classroom full of frogs. I expect the teacher would had released them to the wild after school.
One day I remember Dad finding a wasp’s nest in his shed. After much spraying of “heaven knows what”, (probably DDT or something like that), I was allowed to take down the delicate, now empty nest, and proudly take it off to school for the Table.
I wonder, with all this Elf ‘n Safety, whether the schools still do this sort of thing?
My garden is a bit of a ‘nature reserve’ at the moment. The frogs have been busy by the look of it. I had read that there was a shortage of frogs due to some disease, but certainly not in my ponds.
.
.
I get Pheasants all the year round, and once a Red-Legged Partridge.
A Heron pops in to see if I have any goldfish.
Seen here yesterday on my neighbours roof.
.
.
The Red Kites circle to see if I have thrown out any chicken scraps.

But the most unusual visitor I have had was a Muntjac deer.
The photos, I’m afraid weren’t very good. They were taken through my lounge windows which were in need of a clean and the deer himself was right at the bottom of the garden.

Originating in South-East Asia, it first set hoof in Britain as a legal immigrant in 1900, brought into the country as a plaything by the then Duke of Bedford.
The ones in this area are from the Estates like Clivedon and Dropmore.
Some suspect their escape wasn't entirely accidental and that they were released into the wild in different locations.
It is a conspiracy that remains unproved, but one thing is certain: once free, they made themselves right at home - and their numbers have boomed.
Standing just 20in tall, they are expert at hiding away in brambles, rushes and long grass. As my picture wasn’t very good, here’s an official one.

They are more likely to be heard than seen. Also known as barking deer, they tend to bark at night and can be confused with dogs.
Oddly for deer living in Britain, they have no breeding season and the doe can give birth to a solitary 'kid' at any time. The gestation period is only seven months and within days the doe is ready to mate again - enabling them to reproduce at breakneck speed.
My garden is quite well behaved compared to the goings on at a Lincolnshire Wildlife site. The LWT have asked visitors to remember that there are rules to be observed while birdwatching and that the hides are for "quiet enjoyment only".
The misuse of the structures, which remain unlocked all night, came to light after a bird spotter heard loud sexual sounds coming from a nearby hide.
A blushing spokeswoman, Rachel Shaw said: "Someone complained that they thought they had heard someone having sex in the bird hides.”
“Nature reserves are for quiet enjoyment only and anything else, could possibly disturb or cause harm to the animals that live there."
"There's certain things that happen at nature reserves that really shouldn't.”
Unless of course….you are a pair of birds!
.

What a delightful garden you have Uncle B. We have many Muntjac here, they pop out of the hedges when we are walking the dogs and we hear them barking in the orchards behind the house at night. I have noticed last week, that they are grazing in broad daylight, on the new crops that are emerging in the fields.At this time of year, our dogs wear large bells on thier collars to give the little creatures advance warning of our prescence.Thankyou for your kind message. I am very sore ans stiff now all the drugs have worn off! :D
ReplyDeleteYou do have lovely array of wild life visiting your garden. I do get quite a few varieties of small birds but nothing more exciting than that.
ReplyDeleteUncle B, why would you want to move to a more rural area when you already enjoy a wealth of wildlife in your garden? It's a sunny morning here today, as soon as I finish my morning cup of coffee, I'll be outside enjoying it. Thank you for sharing your pictures. I'm glad I don't have to worry about deer (even cute ones) eating my tulips.
ReplyDeleteLucky you Bernard, beautiful garden complete with tadpoles, birds, fish and deer. A hunter's and fisherman's paradise (hehe). Imagine having a deer visit - wonderful! Your recollection of the nature table bring back memories to me too. If hubby and I visit the LWT in the evening we'll behave ourselves - we promise! xx
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon Uncle B..you sure are living in a beautiful place!!...there must be something new to see every new day i guess..and the pictures you took are worth looking at a second and even more times..love this post...it must be such a pleasure to look and watch all the animals...
ReplyDeletewe had a "nature table"too at school..i remember disliking a pindowned butterfly but could not keep my eyes from the froggs and spiders...
Nature must be inspiering to some people in a different way...we had a corps of a man dumpt in the nature reserve here...
Have a fine weekend and thanks for sharing the great pictures..greetings Francien.
Oh, what a glorious English garden. It looks very relaxing, and it appears that you really appreciate it's beauty.
ReplyDeleteHow lovely that 'Spring Has sprung, the grass is green, the bird is on the wing' etc
ReplyDeleteWe too had a visit from a heron after the goldfish who have been prolific breeders this year, quietly in their pond with no need for birdhides!
Gosh, here I am an hour behind myself already!
ReplyDeleteWho nicked my hour?
Kath:
Glad you’re home safe and sound. If the drugs have worn off perhaps a G&T or a red wine would help? That is what I would do. :
The garden isn’t a patch on what it used to be. I now go for low maintenance, which means I don’t plant all those bulbs and flowers that I used to. I have heard of cats wearing bell but never dogs. Are they like Alpine Cow bells? Hehe!
Cherie:
I have to admit that they do not all come at once. I only had my 35mm roll camera when I took the deer and Kite. I used to miss out on many other visitors because I had no film in the camera. Now we are ‘saved’ by the digital. (unless the battery is flat).
Hi Jan;
What you don’t know about Jan, is the aircraft noise and road traffic. True, I can sit in my garden and enjoy it, but the whole area here is becoming very busy. I live 24 miles from Heathrow airport and the planes are still quite high - but you can still hear them.
They land or takeoff - one, every 3 minutes. There roads here are also choked with traffic. When I have a ‘day out’ in the country - I want to stay there and not go home!
Hi Mrs. S
Thank you. I know people shoot deer and pheasants, but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I’m a ‘big softy’, that’s me. A big garden is a lot of work, especially as I get older. Poor old back plays up after all that weeding.
Good Morning Francien:
In addition to these few I have shown here, I have seen a fox (no photo), loads of hedgehogs (including babies) and far too many grey squirrels. The squirrels are the only ones to to damage - they did up and eat lots of my Spring Bulbs, especially the Tulips.
Like you, I never liked to see ‘pinned downed’ little Butterflies. I much prefer to see them on my flowers. I actually get quite a lot in the summer. Difficult to photograph though.
Hi Myrna:
It takes a lot of time and effort to keep it looking good. They said when I retired that I would have ‘all the time in the world’ to do the garden. What they forgot to say is that as you get older, all this gardening can get too much. I have lost count of the number of times I have ‘Put my Back out’.
Hi Von:
When ‘Springs has Sprung’, I have to get the mower out of its hiding place and whip it into life. Lawns need mowing. More work! Gardens should be for sitting in!
The herons here, come up from the river in the winter to look around the garden ponds. My ponds are not deep enough for fish - they are staggered up the sloping garden in steps (seven in all). The pump at the bottom takes the water back up to the top. That’s the theory, at least. They are always drying out due to evaporation and the plants drinking the water.
Cheers all, ......Bernard
My old garden (when I owned my home) was not dissimilar to yours and it had a huge back garden and front garden that was slightly smaller. The front was mainly lawn and the back had much the same set up as yours.
ReplyDeleteI never worried too much about the lawn cutting because it was easy to borrow a few sheep from a local farmer and my friend’s son used to visit me on his horse which liked to graze on the front lawn. You might like to adopt that idea for yourself, Uncle!
Your garden looks lovely but I understand how you must feel about the noise and traffic from Heathrow. What a shame it looks absolutely idyllic. Isn't it amazing how quickly it all changes when the weather warms up?
ReplyDeletecheers
Helen
Hi DD:
ReplyDeleteI was going to put "Von-Dumpling" but it didn't sound very English to me! :)
Lucky you, having sheep next door. That would suit me a treat. I believe geese and goats are another way of keeping the grass down?
This time last year I did a post on someone in England who kept a Wallaby in his back garden to eat the grass. I am told they do it well?
Hi Helen:
It is a busy area around here. The whole of the South-East of England is becoming over-crowded now. More houses, more people, more cars. Perhaps you might know about keeping a Wallaby in the back-garden to eat the grass. I know it has been done somewhere, although I guess you need a high fence!
Interesting you should ask about the bells Unc. They were given to me by my friend Hazel, who is blind. Her guide dogs wore them when they were running free, so she would know where they were. They are more like a large, oval, cat bell, Probably the same ones Morris Dancers have on their clothes!
ReplyDeleteDon't worry, once I am down in Somerset next Thursday, I shall be partaking of the medicinal ciders hee hee
Hi Kath:
ReplyDeleteThat's the first time I have heard of a Guide Dog having a bell.....but it make sense doesn't it. The Morris Dancer's bells seem a bit on the small side to me - they needs dozens to make any noise. :)