.
I was reading that there is an old tradition,
that tonight is the night for burning your nuts!
It’s true!
The tradition of burning nuts on Hallow E’en goes back to those far off Celtic days when nuts and bones were thrown into the fires to produce loud bangs, thus frightening off evil spirits.
I don’t think I’ll bother, there are enough loud bangs around here already from fireworks without me adding to it. Besides it would frighten the cats.
Talking of cats - I wonder where they are?
Heavens, who’s this outside - and who’s that with him?
.
.
Whilst I dig out my flash -
here’s an old postcard I had lined up for today.
.

.
Ah, so it was Hazel out there in the dark with her ‘toyboy’!
.
.
I don’t know his name or where he comes from. He just comes round twice a day on the scrounge. In through the flap as ‘bold as brass’ and polishes off the leftovers - the cats that is, not mine! Hazel doesn’t seem to mind but Wesley will see him off.
.

.
Nice clock....but you can always tell an artist
who knows nothing about clocks!
The pendulum should be pivoted from a point
near the number XII.
I’m not really into all this Hallow E’en stuff.
Too commercialised if you ask me.
However, the traditional fare sounds interesting.
“Serve warming mugs of apple, turnip or pumpkin soup, devil’s food cake decorated with a spider’s web of icing, pumpkin pie, gingerbread men, baked apples, currant buns (soul cakes), devils-on-horseback (prunes wrapped in bacon)
and wash it all down with a large mug of ‘Lamb’s Wool’."
You can find out about Lamb’s Wool from this post last year.
.

Halloween is not something we really celebrate here in Oz - or should I say we never used to celebrate it. We copy everything American these days so we've just had heaps of little kids come round Trick or Treating ( accompanied by their parents I'm pleased to say) and that's OK by me. I'm prepared .But when the 16 year olds start joining in ...... I thought it was meant for the little kids not noisy teenagers tearing up and down the street!!!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Helen
Hazel knows it's all in the personality, not the looks.
ReplyDeleteQuite a feast that, and I might have a go at making Lamb's Wool.
Kate
I'll bring my camera round Bernard, and we can burn our nuts together:)
ReplyDeleteGood afternoon Uncle.B.,
ReplyDeleteExcuse me??..Dead of night!!..burning your nuts?!..i thought for a minute you were going all depressed on me..but i should read the whole storie first ofcourse..we dont do much on halloween here in Holland..the little ones at school perhaps..we don`t see much of it in the village here.. although....i am going by the houses late at night with my own "Hound of the Baskerville" so perhaps the people think that its Halloween every night here...lol....seeing the village witch in her waxcoat with her scary and ugly (to some) looking Bulldog..BOO....greetings Francien.
I just posted some kitty pix, then found some on your blog as well. I love cats, but hate it when strange ones show up at my door. With 4 in the house, it makes them all nuts and they think they have to mark the territory.
ReplyDeleteWhat kind of nuts pop when you burn them? Not peanuts. That's all I have right now.
Helen:
ReplyDeleteI think it is sad when customs are introduced for commercial reasons rather than celebrated as part of the national/local heritage. Trick or treat gives the impression to children that it's OK to demand treats using threats. :(
Kate:
Last year Kath said she was going to have a try at that drink. I forgot to ask her how she got on.
Angus:
Do you think you could hold the camera steady and burn your nuts at the same time? :o
Francien:
No, I'm not depressed. It's all just an excuse for a party you see. The English calendar is full of weird and wonderful festivals, events, celebrations and strange 'goings on'.
We roll cheeses down hills and chase them... and some people go swimming in bogs!
A funny lot us English.
Jan:
I don't get any 'marking territory' in the house. :) Wesley, being the male, marls the four corners of the garden (yard). No cats seem to take any notice.
The nuts would be 'Cob Nuts' from the Hazel Tree. (I don't know if they grow in California, but they are the ones that have 'catkins in Spring).
I have seen it done with Chestnuts, but they are not ready yet.
Cheers all......Bernard
It was nice of you to feature a photo of me with my broomstick, Bernard (Postcard with the 3 cats!). XX
ReplyDeleteFlying low over Prestwick
ReplyDeleteby the look of it, Mrs S?
And.....without your pointed hat. :)
xxx
Oh your Halloween party menu sounds divine. We enjoyed mulled cider here :D
ReplyDeleteHazel looked a bit spooky there in the shadows.
ReplyDeleteI must admit I am not really a fan of Halloween either.
Kath:
ReplyDeleteWho wouldn't enjoy mulled cider? :D
Not too much, mind you.
Cherie:
I think there are quite a few of us. I noticed less 'tat' in the shops here this year and there were no 'trick 'n treaters. :)
I keep my nuts in a bag Bernard, where do you keep yours?
ReplyDeleteAngus,
ReplyDeleteyou can read all about my nuts here:-
http://monkey-organ.blogspot.com/2009/09/oh-nuts.html
:0