Sunday, 3 October 2010

News from the Workshop Part 2

.
I bet this bit won't get 44 comments!
Well, never mind, but I did promise Adrian
I would post up a weekly 'progress report'
on the clock.

This is what I have been up to instead of blogging!

.
.
As you can see,
the wooden dial surround was split right across at the hinge side.

Probably someone using over-size screws.
.
.
In order to close this gap up,
I first had to remove some very old 'iron' nails.
Of course, having been in the wood for some 150 years,
they had rusted and had broken off.


.
.
By careful levering with steel strips,
one half of the 'peg rail' came free.

The crack was then glued and clamped up.
To prevent it coming apart when the hinge screws were tightened,
I inserted a hardwood 'dovetail key' (cherry actually).
.
.
There! How about that?

Rub a bit of polish or wax in there and you won't see it.
.
.

This front frame is not glued or screwed to the clock box,
but is is held in place by four wooden pegs; two each side.

As it only came with three, and two of those were broken,
I set about turning up four new ones.
.
.
In the lathe.

I don't have a proper wood-working lathe,
so I have to use the Myford. (really for metal-working)


.
.
The old and the new.

This shows the positions on one side of the clock.
.
.
If you pull these out when the clock is on the wall......
the front drops off !!!!

That's probably why some of these are known as
"Drop Dial" clocks !!!

(only joking)
This one I'm working on is an "English Dial" clock.
.

14 comments:

  1. Great job!
    Clever man and he cooks too !!!!!!!!!!!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Helen,
    Flattery will get you....everywhere!

    Hi Amy,
    It's for Rosie, I think as an extra Wedding present from Ade. I love doing this sort of thing. I shall leave you each a clock - not that I plan to go anywhere just yet! :)
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what's known as a Labour of Love.
    Old clocks are lovely - especially the ones that have those melodic chimes.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. far too soon for going any where x x x x x x x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. No don't you go anywhere Uncle B (am I still allowed to call you that?).
    I was very impressed by your wood turning. My dad used to have a lathe and made all sorts of interesting things. I'm so pleased we have these little trinkets to remember him by as he popped off far too soon.
    Can we see the front of the clock?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate:
    I love working on mechanical things and especially clocks. I too like striking and chiming clocks but they are terribly difficult to re-assembly correctly if you strip them down to clean.

    Amy:
    Well I hope so! But I'm off to Milton Keynes on Saturday. (Weather permitting) :) xxx

    Yes Kath, I'm still Uncle B to anyone who chooses. :D
    Wood tuning is great fun. I love it.
    You can see the front of the clock on a post I did on Wed. 22 Sept.

    Thanks Molly, I know some of these bits are technical, but I promised my brother I would let him see how I was getting on with the repairs.

    Cheers all.....Bernard.
    PS On the subject of 'going'....I'm just going off to Henley-on-Thames for the day. :)
    Not a nice day for photos though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well done, Bernard. What talents you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just went to have a look, how did I miss that post? it is beautiful, I love it's large classic face, my favourite watch looks very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very talented indeed, I am looking forward to seeing the finished article :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you ladies. :)
    I must get back to the workshop and press on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Comming along nicely. Looking forward to the next blog.
    Love Rose and Adam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rose/Adam,
    Sorry I missed this comment down here.
    Found it this morning. :)
    Since falling over I haven't been out in the cold workshop this week. I have finished the side doors and sent pictures to Ade. I will do a part three later this week.
    Love Unc B xxx

    ReplyDelete