.
“Sunday’s a day for an up-river splash.”
This is the fist line of an old song sung by Hetty King called -
“Down Beside the Riverside.”
I just love the words to these old songs. I have searched for the lyrics on the web, but with no success. I have a recording, but not the time, to write them all out.
She sings of ‘naughty goings on’ and of taking a picnic with -
“Winkles and watercress, custard and cake.“
There was a time, years ago, when I would go to Uxbridge on a Saturday for a bit of shopping and a rake around the old bookshops and the market.
In this old market was a fishmonger called Joe Forbes, and in addition to wet fish, he sold whelks, jellied eels and winkles. A pint of winkles was always bought for Sunday teatime the following day. Excellent with watercress and brown crusty bread.
.

.
For those not ‘in the know’, winkles are a small snail like shellfish, which feeds on seaweed on British coasts. On removal from rock or weed place in clean water for about 12 hours to allow grit, sand and salt to be removed, then place them in boiling water for about 10 minutes. The meat can then be removed from the shell using a pin; the whole creature inside is edible except for a small plate like structure at the front of the shell opening.
Of course, the ones from Joe had already been soaked and boiled, although in some places you can still buy them fresh.
But back to my song.
As you know, I have been having a go at getting some sound on my blog. Not only organ music, but also a few sounds from my old record collection. I have bought a vinyl to CD converter and have made a start at transferring songs to my PC.
Rather than just play a tune, I have been making up slide-shows using a few of the hundreds of photos I have taken over the years.
Because blogger limits the playing time to about a minute, I have had to have a go at uploading to YouTube.
Yes, last night I finally got my first attempt, up and running.
A teeny, weeny bit fast I thought, but
it has to keep in time with music - and fill 2min 56sec.
See what you think…..and listen to the words as you go.
.
.
If you enjoyed it?.......I may get a few 'Thumbs up'?
You can view a better quality picture here
on YouTube.
.


I seem to remember there used to be cress bads in Bourne End, in fact isn't there a Cresswell gardens/close, of houses where the cress beds used to be?
ReplyDeleteJust had a look at You Tube, Bernard - great pictures!
ReplyDeleteThat was delightful - thankyou. A beautiful mix of song and photos.
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better. XXX
Kate
Very true Kath,
ReplyDeleteIn fact they were just down the road from me.
They filled them in and built new houses on the land. After a while the people living there found water under the floor boards! The cress beds wouldn't go away! :)
Molly and Kate:
Thanks, I glad it worked OK. It is always a bit of a worry when you are new to something.
Actually, I didn't really understand what I was doing or what half of the features were supposed to do.
I shall be trying a few more out: but not too many. :)
When I was little, my Dad nicknamed me Winkle, and I got a bit upset on eday t the seaside when they were talking about eating winkles for tea!
ReplyDeleteWent to Sussex on hols a few years ago and built up huge hopes of eating whelks on Brighton Pier, but when I saw them I couldn't imagine putting them in my mouth. Like watercress though. Made bittercress soup from the stream in the ponies' field one year.
I really loved the song and photos. Can't wait for more. Winkles are kind of cute really. I've grown up here in Alaska and there are so many edible shell creatures on our beaches. One such creature is called the "Gumboot", an incredibly tough, chewy thing that clings to rocks and it is quite homely. Not at all cute like your winkles. You will hear tell that the gumboot is not good for eating because it is so god awful chewy and tough but the Tlingets and other southeast alaskan indians do enjoy eating them and have special ways of preparing them in order to make them palatable. Anyway, great post!
ReplyDeleteFoody:
ReplyDeleteMy Grand-dad used to like whelks and Gran would buy some from the fish market when we went into town. I was offered a piece - and it put me off for life! It just tasted of 'salty rubber'! :(
I thought you had to be careful of taking things out of streams where there were sheep (and ponies). :( Something about 'liver fluke'?).
Hi Kim,
I'm glad you enjoyed that. Thanks. :)
That 'Gumboot' sounds just like, what we call whelks?
Or maybe Limpets?
Both tough as old boots!
Both gumboots and Wellies!
Both my thumbs are up for you, Bernard - what an excellent piece of inspirational work and the photographs are beautiful. I never did like winkles and such like, but I was never brought up on them and I suppose that's the difference. I do like my fish though.
ReplyDeleteLovely photos and song :-)
ReplyDelete"Both thumbs up". Well thanks Mrs S. :)
ReplyDeleteThat was actually referring to the feature on YouTube where you can click on a thumb up (or a thumb down if you don't like it). It's true there is not much flavour in winkles and I, like you, enjoy fish - especially smoked haddock, mackerel and kippers. :)
Thanks Cherie, I enjoyed doing it. I think you have seen some of those photos before. :D
Not heard hide nor hair of you for days. You OK? I really hope it was nothing I said. Speaking of which, how is your hide? BTW, I think it was a sedge warbler Kath mentioned, not a reed, but we don't get these either.
ReplyDeleteDays Foody? Heavens, how time flies?
ReplyDeleteThe comment above this says 27th, yesterday. :)
.....and I left you a comment yesterday, :)
I'm slowing down in my olde age. :(
Oh yes, my hide is much better thanks. I haven't taken another photo. One was enough.
It doesn't hurt....just gone a pale blue to horrid yellow. Thanks.
Two Thumbs Up! I am amazed at your talents. What a gorgeous slide show, and the music was perfect. I watched it on You Tube because it was a better production. I really got the feeling that taking the Sunday afternoon walk along the river is a very relaxing way to spend one's time.
ReplyDeleteHi Myrna,
ReplyDeleteIt was my first go and I was surprised how easy it actually was. YouTube is best as blogger reduces the size and hence, quality.
Glad to hear you enjoyed it. You can't beat messing about on the river. Cheers.