.
.
Certainly had plenty of icicles here,
although I couldn't find myself a 'greasy Joan'!
(couldn't find the original poem either.)
Having had a dozen or so inquiries about the cat's welfare,
(and a couple about me),
I thought I'd better scrape the ice from the keyboard
and defrost my poor mouse!
.

.
We are all snug and warm, and none of us are venturing out.
I have been busy giving the organ a strip-down and a good clean.
I was planning on making a new rank of 'Melody' pipes,
but the 13 pieces of brass tube that I ordered
have not arrived yet.
Ah well, such is life.
I expect it would be -4 in the workshop anyway.
I know, I'll get the Christmas tree down out of the loft
and check out the lights.
Hazel thought she would help by sitting in the way on the stairs.
Aren't cats amazing?
Never around when you want them;
always in the way when you don't.
.
.
Halfway down the stairs
Is a stair
Where I sit.
There isn't any
Other stair
Quite like
It.
I'm not at the bottom,
I'm not at the top;
So this is the stair
Where
I can trip
Bernard up!
Now Wesley......decided to....
.
.
....to curl up on my feet.
Lovely warm feet all morning.
The only down-side was I had to leave my slippers there,
when I wanted a pee!
And Joan never showed up,
so I had to keel my own pot!
.
Update: found the source.....Shakespeare.
Winter.
from "Love's Labour's Lost"
When icicles hang by the wall,
And Dick the shepherd blows his nail,
And Tom bears logs into the hall,
And milk comes frozen home in pail,
When blood is nipp’d and ways be foul,
Then nightly sings the staring owl,
Tu-whit; Tu-who, a merry note,
While greasy Joan doth keel the pot.
When all aloud the wind doth blow,
And coughing drowns the parson’s saw,
And birds sit brooding in the snow,
And Marion’s nose looks red and raw,
When roasted crabs hiss in the bowl,
Then nightly sings the staring owl,
Tu-whit; Tu-who, a merry note,
While greasy Joan doth keel the pot.
.

And Dick the shepherd blows his nail,
ReplyDeleteAnd Tom bears logs into the hall,
So what is Harry up to then Bernard?
Angus:
ReplyDeleteI understand that 'Old William S.' originally had:-
"And Harry's nose looks red and raw",
but as it is only two syllables, he changed it to "And Marion's........" :)
So Harry is a she-man then:)
ReplyDeleteSweet pictures of the cats!
ReplyDeleteHave you really got your tree up already,, or is that an older pic?
I like Christmas poems too. I'm trying to think of the one that has 'the old familiar carols play' in it. Would that be the Bells of Advent by John Betjeman, or am I up the wrong tree?
Glad you are well Uncle Bernard, I was just thinking about you this morning. I had to smile at "always in the way when you don't" my dogs are exactly the same, whenever I am trying to do something, they appear and want to lay RIGHT THERE, because suddenly that's their FAVOURITE PLACE :-D
ReplyDeleteHee hee, my word verifiaction is PIDLE
I'm glad too that you and the kitties are safe and warm Uncle B! I can remember learning that Shakespeare poem in school - that IS a long time ago!
ReplyDeletePhew glad to hear from you was beginning to wonder whether you were ok x x hope you are staying warm it was -8 on the school run this am the condensation from breath on my glasses froze!!! x
ReplyDeleteWe have icicles too. We could start a longest icicle competition.
ReplyDeleteGood evening Uncle B., everything is ok then at your house!!...warm and cosy by the looks of Wesley and Hazel...lovely food and a good drink in reach?? Tree all set up... Christmas can come to your house i guess...well.. a little soon for that i suppose...next week the weather will be better here "they" say.. the snow looks awesome on everything but as far as i am concerned it may leave again...but no-one is listening to me...it starts snowing again and will be the whole night...stay warm!! greetings Francien.
ReplyDeleteAngus:
ReplyDelete:D
Foody:
What I was doing there, was just testing the lights. :D
This gives me time to shop around for spares. My neighbours have theirs on, but I may wait a few more days. :)
Not Betjeman, perhaps:-
‘Christmas 1863’ by Longfellow.
“I hear the bells on Christmas day
The old familiar carols play
And wild and sweet,
The words repeat
Of peace on earth, good-will to men.”
Kath:
Thinking of me? :)
Good I hope? :o
There you are, knee deep in builders rubble, no electric and frozen pipes and you think of me! That is really kind of you. :D
Hazel follows me everywhere, and I mean everywhere, as per your word verification!
Molly:
I get the ‘fidgets’ after being cooped up in the warm for too long. I was just going out for a walk this afternoon, and guess what? It’s raining! Yes we too learnt it at school but I couldn’t remember who wrote it. I had to look it up.
Amy:
I can see that it is going to be very hard for me to get a break from all this blogging. :D
Even Uncles have to have a rest sometimes. :D
All cosy and warm thanks. XxXx
Doohie:
I have been reading all about your icicles. :)
I have to admit to cheating a bit. They were last years! We haven’t had enough snow here to melt and form new ones. I had to use a photo from last year. :)
Francien:
Good afternoon. I’m afraid I’m a bit behind things at the moment. It's nearly 4 here.
All cosy and warm thanks. Hot roast chestnuts and a glass of Green Ginger wine. :)
Christmas Tree will be set up on Sunday.
The weather here (Chilterns) has not been too bad - just very cold. Other parts of the country have had it quite bad.
Do you all go skating on your canals when they freeze over, or have Health & Safety put a stop to it?
Take care and keep warm. Greetings Bernard.
Lots of icicles, frost and freezing fog around here... It is jolly chilly!
ReplyDeleteGood Morning Uncle B., to answer your quistion...i think i am the only one in Holland who does`nt skate...i do know how to but i don`t like it...everybody is bumping in to you, going the opposit direction..its cold...its very dangerous because those who do skate go on the ice when its a centimeter "thick"so one can see it move..not to mention the falling down...i broke one hip...like to save the other "for a rainy day"...lol...greetings Francien.
ReplyDeleteTime for those 'winter woolies' Cherie. :)
ReplyDeleteGoedeavond Francien,
I don't blame you one bit. :)
I tried to skate once when I was young - fell over - got wet - got bruises. :(
Have never tried again!
I always say - when a car skids - it's out of control. Same with my feet! Out of control.
Cheers all.....Bernard